Future QB (REALLY thinking ahead)

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
+++++++++

Future QB (REALLY thinking ahead)

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:35 pm

Jason Campbell may or may not be our franchise QB. Here's how I see it:

Next season if he has a great season we'll want him back, anything less (just by playing decent football) and we'd have to massively overpay to keep him. He's going to have to improve by leaps and bounds for US to want him back... but maybe he doesn't want to come back. Say he has his best season yet (by a long shot) and he wants to explore the market. He could sign someplace else. So already his odds of coming back seem a lot less than 50%. I don't think he's a baby or anything like Cutler but I think this whole ordeal took a toll on him and he feels lied to. He's a professional and will go about his business this season but he will not forget about this come contract time.

That poses a problem. One would hope we're not picking any lower than 15th next season and we'll be too high to have Colt McCoy or Sam Bradford to fall to us (assuming they keep up their incredibly high draft stock.) We could still possibly trade up if needed next season because we should have a full compliment of picks and it could be done... but assume we can't.

Here's a list of available free agents (as of right now) for next season. http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features ... =QB&y=2010

Phillip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger are the only QB's who seem starting quality and they are almost certain to be signed to long term deals. There may be a Matt Cassel type situation where a veteran goes down and a rookie has to show his mettle but we can't predict that. Brady Quinn may still be available in a trade or Derrek Anderson, but who knows.

I am worried about next season because if Campbell falters, or bolts we are screwed.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby Manchester_Redskin » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:36 pm

I think that if we don't get a winning season this year then both the QB and the coach will be out of here.

If so then that has to be the year that we go for a franchise QB, that likely means trading up (unless we really suck) but so be it. A new HC (eg Cowher etc - someone who is likely to stand up to the FO) plus a Bradford type QB would give us the starting block for putting us back into being a competitive team.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:45 pm

I am not expecting JC to have a pro bowl year or lead us to the super bowl. If he does by some miracle I still do not expect him to be here in 2010. Would you? I do expect him to get better than he was and I think we all will be happy with his progress. Problem is he will be gone I fear. So, next is the HC job that's in jeopardy. If JC is gone what does that say about Zorn that was brought in here to fix that? Also there is some high profile coaches that might be looking for work next year.

Hog

Postby NJ-SKINS-FAN » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:52 am

JC17 is gone, i will bet the ranch and the kids on it...

this is why:

unless we make a deep playoff run or a super bowl trip zorn is gone.....WRITE IT DOWN

there are toooooo many good head coached with rings watching and danny wont sit tight......(cohwer, gruden, shanahan, holmgren)

my guess this is why he took zorn over fassell, because he tried to get cohwer and he said he needed 2 years, so danny just needed a filler....zorn it was, he was the easy pick being already picked as the OC also at the time, danny seemed to still like JC17 fresh off the selling from gibbs....and zorn was not gonna rock the boat, he had and has no clout to rock anything....so the filler was right in house

and with cohwer coming here, he will want his "own guy"

again JC17 is gone, zorn gone....

cohwer in and a new qb in and attitude

note....when he comes, he will want a guy on D im sure (after all he is a D type coach) dont be shocked if taylor mays is they guy he wants, after all his D was nice in pitts with that guy troy p. roaming back there,

I KNOW ABOUT LL30

but LL30 is a GREAT SS playing out of position at FS right now, (20yards deep)he is NOT a ball hawk...he is enforcer that NEEDS TO BE CLOSER TO THE LOS some guys are ball hawks and others are enforcers....he is not a ball hawk he is an ENFORCER
2-2|0-4|1-2|0-0
home: 3-2
road: 0-6

Since 2000 the Redskins have scored 40 pts 2 times!!!!
12/30/01 @ NO 40-10 W
10/23/05 vs SF 52-17 W
Two 40pt games in a decade?? serious?? cant make up that sad fact!!

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:06 am

I KNOW ABOUT LL30

but LL30 is a GREAT SS playing out of position at FS right now, (20yards deep)he is NOT a ball hawk...he is enforcer that NEEDS TO BE CLOSER TO THE LOS some guys are ball hawks and others are enforcers....he is not a ball hawk he is an ENFORCER

Agreed!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:17 pm

DEHog wrote:
I KNOW ABOUT LL30

Agreed!!

Landry got two or three interceptions in the Seattle playoff game. Remember that? That is a pretty good ball hawk in my opinion.

Also our defense seems to play alot of cover three. So he has his deep third while the other corners have there third of the field. I still think he is a pretty good ball hawk. Just saying.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby NJ-SKINS-FAN » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:25 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:
DEHog wrote:
I KNOW ABOUT LL30

Agreed!!

Landry got two or three interceptions in the Seattle playoff game. Remember that? That is a pretty good ball hawk in my opinion.

Also our defense seems to play alot of cover three. So he has his deep third while the other corners have there third of the field. I still think he is a pretty good ball hawk. Just saying.

seattle playoff game = one game?

his rookie year he had 0 picks and only 2 last year
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... ndLa99.htm

so let me ask you this, is he better round the LOS blitzing and helping with the run and crushing WR trying to do crossing routes?

or playing 20 yards away from the ball and getting 2 whole picks?

ok so if we play cover 3 that means you need a safety 7-12 yards from the LOS, is he not perfect for that?
2-2|0-4|1-2|0-0

12/30/01 @ NO 40-10 W
10/23/05 vs SF 52-17 W

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:29 pm

NJ-SKINS-FAN wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:
DEHog wrote:
I KNOW ABOUT LL30

Agreed!!

so let me ask you this, is he better round the LOS blitzing and helping with the run and crushing WR trying to do crossing routes?

ok so if we play cover 3 that means you need a safety 7-12 yards from the LOS, is he not perfect for that?

He is a on the small side as far as safties go. He is one of the fastest safties. Which is why I want him on the deep.

Horton is better at tackling and blitzing. So keep Landry where he is at. He will just get run over just like he did against Jacobs. He also has had plenty of tackles right where he is at already. Once our Defensive line gets it together he will get more picks. Just watch.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby NJ-SKINS-FAN » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:37 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:
NJ-SKINS-FAN wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:
DEHog wrote:
I KNOW ABOUT LL30

Agreed!!

He is a on the small side as far as safties go. He is one of the fastest safties. Which is why I want him on the deep.

Horton is better at tackling and blitzing. So keep Landry where he is at. He will just get run over just like he did against Jacobs. He also has had plenty of tackles right where he is at already. Once our Defensive line gets it together he will get more picks. Just watch.

horton is not a better blitzer, there is a reason ll30 went 6 overall and horton was 7th round pick, i do like horton, but lets not overrate him as a storng safety over LL30 look at the film of ll30 at lsu when he would blitz and roam the field around the los...

it is not just stopping the run, he is not an LB (jacobs would run alot of people over, but he stuck his face in there, he has that mentality of a LOS saftey) im talking about blitzing and making the WR look for him before the ball.....yea he us fast, but he IS our best defender and is soooooo far from the ball on every play....
2-2|0-4|1-2|0-0

12/30/01 @ NO 40-10 W
10/23/05 vs SF 52-17 W

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:55 pm

You gotta look at the package. LL may be a better SS, but who's going to come in and make the safety package better than LL at FS and Horton at SS. We have deficiencies to address, too many to draft another high level FS. Unless we luck in to another gem like Horton, then that's how it's going to be.

And last time I checked, ST (RIP) was crushing crossing routes as a FS, why can't LL do it?
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:30 pm

why can't LL do it?

We all like to know the answer to that :wink:
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby NJ-SKINS-FAN » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:49 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:You gotta look at the package. LL may be a better SS, but who's going to come in and make the safety package better than LL at FS and Horton at SS. We have deficiencies to address, too many to draft another high level FS. Unless we luck in to another gem like Horton, then that's how it's going to be.

And last time I checked, ST (RIP) was crushing crossing routes as a FS, why can't LL do it?

ST was "ranger" if that is a word, for instance, when they played in GB in 2007 he had 7 picks in his hands (5 drops :cry: ) from BF4...... he went sideline to sideline, and was NOT 20yards deep, the normal 12-15

i agree, with you no one can come in right now, but im talking about if cohwer comes in as the HC next year and wants "his guys" he might want taylor mays to roam back there....a-la troy in pitts....
2-2|0-4|1-2|0-0

12/30/01 @ NO 40-10 W
10/23/05 vs SF 52-17 W

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:15 pm

Ugh, last time I checked... Troy plays all over the place and doesn't roam deep like Sean Taylor did at all. If anything LL is closer to Troy than Sean Taylor was.

LL doesn't get many picks because we had no pass rush and he had to play really deep. That'll change this year.

Getting back on topic, JC is as good as gone. Who knows what the future holds for this franchise.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:19 pm

NJ-SKINS-FAN wrote:
VetSkinsFan wrote:You gotta look at the package. LL may be a better SS, but who's going to come in and make the safety package better than LL at FS and Horton at SS. We have deficiencies to address, too many to draft another high level FS. Unless we luck in to another gem like Horton, then that's how it's going to be.

ST was "ranger" if that is a word, for instance, when they played in GB in 2007 he had 7 picks in his hands (5 drops :cry: ) from BF4...... he went sideline to sideline, and was NOT 20yards deep, the normal 12-15
i agree, with you no one can come in right now, but im talking about if cohwer comes in as the HC next year and wants "his guys" he might want taylor mays to roam back there....a-la troy in pitts....

One of the reasons Taylor had the kind of freedom that he had was the presence of Landry at SS. Because Landry could both plug holes, and drop effectively into coverage, Taylor could roam with little fear of leaving a gaping hole that could be leveraged by the offense.

If there were any other SS in that hole, Taylor would have been kept closer to home.

Landry doesn't have a Landry to fill that role... although Horton did play awfully well for a rook.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby NJ-SKINS-FAN » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:39 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Ugh, last time I checked... Troy plays all over the place and doesn't roam deep like Sean Taylor did at all. If anything LL is closer to Troy than Sean Taylor was.

LL doesn't get many picks because we had no pass rush and he had to play really deep. That'll change this year.

Getting back on topic, JC is as good as gone. Who knows what the future holds for this franchise.

he does play all over the place but he is a ball hawk, LL30 is not.

I did not say anything about troy being deep like sean, i said a ball hawk...

troy had 7 picks last year and was crazy in the playoffs....

as ofr pass rush i hope the better rush = more picks for LL30

but atleast we agree JC17 might as well have his house for sale
2-2|0-4|1-2|0-0

12/30/01 @ NO 40-10 W
10/23/05 vs SF 52-17 W

Return to General Manager's Office