Future QB (REALLY thinking ahead)

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:53 pm

Deadskins wrote:
VetSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
VetSkinsFan wrote:
brad7686 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Ugh why can't we expect Jason to improve his decision making and stop pump faking a dumping the ball of all the time? Why can't we expect him to help the line out too? Is it because we know it's not going to happen?

Yet we are perfectly fine with the line not helping him.

Who is this we?

He's referring to the lack of OL drafted this year.

<sigh> While we didn't draft a RT, our line is still pretty stable. It's not unheard of to take more than a year to come back from the kind of devastating injury that Jansen had. And to think that R Thomas played 100% last year awith the thought in the back of his mind that THIS play could paralyze him is reaching at best.

Why not put your frustrations aside and actually ENJOY the Redskins. I know it's a completely alien concept, but it might just freakin' work.

You are talking to Brad, not me, right?

Not directed at you Dead.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Hog

Postby ArlingtonSkinsFan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:08 am

NJ-SKINS-FAN wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:
NJ-SKINS-FAN wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:
DEHog wrote:
I KNOW ABOUT LL30

but LL30 is a GREAT SS playing out of position at FS right now, (20yards deep)he is NOT a ball hawk...he is enforcer that NEEDS TO BE CLOSER TO THE LOS some guys are ball hawks and others are enforcers....he is not a ball hawk he is an ENFORCER

Agreed!!

Landry got two or three interceptions in the Seattle playoff game. Remember that? That is a pretty good ball hawk in my opinion.

Also our defense seems to play alot of cover three. So he has his deep third while the other corners have there third of the field. I still think he is a pretty good ball hawk. Just saying.

seattle playoff game = one game?

his rookie year he had 0 picks and only 2 last year
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... ndLa99.htm

so let me ask you this, is he better round the LOS blitzing and helping with the run and crushing WR trying to do crossing routes?

or playing 20 yards away from the ball and getting 2 whole picks?

ok so if we play cover 3 that means you need a safety 7-12 yards from the LOS, is he not perfect for that?

He is a on the small side as far as safties go. He is one of the fastest safties. Which is why I want him on the deep.

Horton is better at tackling and blitzing. So keep Landry where he is at. He will just get run over just like he did against Jacobs. He also has had plenty of tackles right where he is at already. Once our Defensive line gets it together he will get more picks. Just watch.

horton is not a better blitzer, there is a reason ll30 went 6 overall and horton was 7th round pick, i do like horton, but lets not overrate him as a storng safety over LL30 look at the film of ll30 at lsu when he would blitz and roam the field around the los...

it is not just stopping the run, he is not an LB (jacobs would run alot of people over, but he stuck his face in there, he has that mentality of a LOS saftey) im talking about blitzing and making the WR look for him before the ball.....yea he us fast, but he IS our best defender and is soooooo far from the ball on every play....

Best Defender? Ever heard of Albert Haynesworth?? If not, he is considered by many to be the best overall defensive player in the league, lets not get carried away...
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -Vince Lombardi

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:05 pm

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010QB.php

I really believe that one of these guys will be joining the Redskins next season. Wonder which one will be... and I kind of hope Mark Sanchez doesn't become a big star.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Fri May 08, 2009 11:39 am

NJ-SKINS-FAN wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:
NJ-SKINS-FAN wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:
DEHog wrote:
I KNOW ABOUT LL30

but LL30 is a GREAT SS playing out of position at FS right now, (20yards deep)he is NOT a ball hawk...he is enforcer that NEEDS TO BE CLOSER TO THE LOS some guys are ball hawks and others are enforcers....he is not a ball hawk he is an ENFORCER

Agreed!!

Landry got two or three interceptions in the Seattle playoff game. Remember that? That is a pretty good ball hawk in my opinion.

Also our defense seems to play alot of cover three. So he has his deep third while the other corners have there third of the field. I still think he is a pretty good ball hawk. Just saying.

so let me ask you this, is he better round the LOS blitzing and helping with the run and crushing WR trying to do crossing routes?

ok so if we play cover 3 that means you need a safety 7-12 yards from the LOS, is he not perfect for that?

He is a on the small side as far as safties go. He is one of the fastest safties. Which is why I want him on the deep.

Horton is better at tackling and blitzing. So keep Landry where he is at. He will just get run over just like he did against Jacobs. He also has had plenty of tackles right where he is at already. Once our Defensive line gets it together he will get more picks. Just watch.

horton is not a better blitzer, there is a reason ll30 went 6 overall and horton was 7th round pick, i do like horton, but lets not overrate him as a storng safety over LL30 look at the film of ll30 at lsu when he would blitz and roam the field around the los...

it is not just stopping the run, he is not an LB (jacobs would run alot of people over, but he stuck his face in there, he has that mentality of a LOS saftey) im talking about blitzing and making the WR look for him before the ball.....yea he us fast, but he IS our best defender and is soooooo far from the ball on every play....

Oh I think Horton is a better blitzer. Not like that is important for a safety. A safety should not be blitzing that much anyways. Oh and Horton does have a full sack in one year. Compared to Landrys half sack in two years. So if you wanna get technical there are your stats.

Horton managed 76 tackles and three interceptions. In a year in which he did not start every game. Pretty darn good for a rookie. So I do not know where you are getting the overrated stuff.

There is no better fit at this time for free safety. Landry is the best option. Especially when you have a good strong safety on the roster as well.

Yeah it may not be flashy to be in deep coverage. But it is very important for Landry to be covering the deep ball. Qbs avoid throwing his way. It may not get much pub but it is darn important. If Landry was not back there then we would have had more passing touchdowns and yardage against us.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri May 08, 2009 12:07 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:
NJ-SKINS-FAN wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:
NJ-SKINS-FAN wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:
DEHog wrote:
I KNOW ABOUT LL30

Agreed!!

Oh I think Horton is a better blitzer. Not like that is important for a safety. A safety should not be blitzing that much anyways. Oh and Horton does have a full sack in one year. Compared to Landrys half sack in two years. So if you wanna get technical there are your stats.

Horton managed 76 tackles and three interceptions. In a year in which he did not start every game. Pretty darn good for a rookie. So I do not know where you are getting the overrated stuff.

There is no better fit at this time for free safety. Landry is the best option. Especially when you have a good strong safety on the roster as well.

Yeah it may not be flashy to be in deep coverage. But it is very important for Landry to be covering the deep ball. Qbs avoid throwing his way. It may not get much pub but it is darn important. If Landry was not back there then we would have had more passing touchdowns and yardage against us.

Horton, the better blitzer? That's an opinion. Consider this. If Sean Taylor were still our FS, who would be playing SS? This is not a knock on Horton, BTW...

The answer is Landry, whether Horton is on our team or not. The reason he was drafted was because of his strong play close to the line. A review of the college film would make this clear for you. Horton can bring it... but Landry, though smaller, understands leverage, AND can bring it, AND can drop into coverage and be extremely effective whether plugging a hole, patrolling against the crossing pattern, or dropping into deep coverage.

Like Taylor before him, Landry was the best defensive talent in the draft.

He is playing FS, because that gives him the greatest freedom to move, and take advantage of his speed. Less was lost by having him play Free, and Horton Strong, than by having Landry play Strong, and Moore Free, IMHO.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri May 08, 2009 1:48 pm

Thank you, CT. I thought that was a simple concept to understand, but we keep having this discussion.

We have the strongest group with LL @ FS and Horton @ SS. Yes, LL is the best SS we have, but what drop off do we have at having Moore or another unproven FS. Where is the greatest pool of talent? Currently, with LL being so versatile (which is really a blessing), it's LL @ FS and Horton @ SS.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Fri May 08, 2009 6:56 pm

He is playing FS, because that gives him the greatest freedom to move, and take advantage of his speed. Less was lost by having him play Free, and Horton Strong, than by having Landry play Strong, and Moore Free, IMHO.[quote][/quote]

That is basically what I was saying. Landry at FS and Horton at SS gives us our best defense. With Horton best suited at SS. Landry can play both FS and SS. That is why I like Landry at FS. I never argued against this. This was my argument from the beginning of this thread.

Anyways, I still think Horton is the better tackler and blitzer. Landry is better in deep coverage. They are both good defenders. Both may eventually become great.

Yes this is my opinion. But, the only thing Landry has on Horton is his speed. 4.3 seconds in the forty vs Horton 4.5 seconds in the forty. Other then that Horton reads the play quickly and takes a great angle towards the ball and offensive player. He rarely misses a tackle. I have already seen Landry miss plenty of tackles.

Not knocking LL love him to death. LL will probably be in the pro bowl next year. But, I think you might be surprised at what Horton does next year. Horton has a special knack for the big play. His instincts and ability to diagnose the play within milliseconds is what I love about Horton.

Its like if you split Sean Taylor into two people you would get Horton and Landry. Just a thought.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Return to General Manager's Office