Future QB (REALLY thinking ahead)

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

Postby NJ-SKINS-FAN » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:41 pm

Countertrey wrote:
NJ-SKINS-FAN wrote:
VetSkinsFan wrote:You gotta look at the package. LL may be a better SS, but who's going to come in and make the safety package better than LL at FS and Horton at SS. We have deficiencies to address, too many to draft another high level FS. Unless we luck in to another gem like Horton, then that's how it's going to be.

And last time I checked, ST (RIP) was crushing crossing routes as a FS, why can't LL do it?

ST was "ranger" if that is a word, for instance, when they played in GB in 2007 he had 7 picks in his hands (5 drops :cry: ) from BF4...... he went sideline to sideline, and was NOT 20yards deep, the normal 12-15
i agree, with you no one can come in right now, but im talking about if cohwer comes in as the HC next year and wants "his guys" he might want taylor mays to roam back there....a-la troy in pitts....

One of the reasons Taylor had the kind of freedom that he had was the presence of Landry at SS. Because Landry could both plug holes, and drop effectively into coverage, Taylor could roam with little fear of leaving a gaping hole that could be leveraged by the offense.

If there were any other SS in that hole, Taylor would have been kept closer to home.

Landry doesn't have a Landry to fill that role... although Horton did play awfully well for a rook.

thank you for helping me, LL30 can plug holes and play at the LOS and still drop into coverage....that is why we should look for a FS that is natural FS and let our best defender do what he does best....
thats all im saying
2-2|0-4|1-2|0-0
home: 3-2
road: 0-6

Since 2000 the Redskins have scored 40 pts 2 times!!!!
12/30/01 @ NO 40-10 W
10/23/05 vs SF 52-17 W
Two 40pt games in a decade?? serious?? cant make up that sad fact!!

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:10 pm

This is a QB thread, not a safety thread. What are the Redskins going to do to try and find a franchise QB?
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:28 pm

You can't understate the effect of a franchise QB, but here's the Super Bowl winning QB's from the last 20 years

1.) Ben Roethlisberger
2.) Eli Manning
3.) Peyton Manning
4.) Ben Roethlisberger
5.) Tom Brady
6.) Tom Brady
7.) Brad Johnson
8.) Tom Brady
9.) Trent Dilfer
10.) Kurt Warner
11.) John Elway
12.) John Elway
13.) Bret Favre
14.) Troy Aikman
15.) Steve Young
16.) Troy Aikman
17.) Troy Aikman
18.) Mark Rypien
19.) Phil Simms
20.) Joe Montana

There's maybe three guys on that list (Rypien, Dilfer and Johnson) that you could say weren't legitimate franchise guys... and they all were OUTSTANDING during their Super Bowl seasons.

Is it an overreaction to say that without a franchise QB you don't have a legitimate shot at winning a Lombardi Trophy? I don't think so. The Redskins need to get a guy who can win long term at QB and I don't know how it's going to be done.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:25 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:9.) Trent Dilfer

It was either him or Collins that year. ROTFALMAO

Truly the worst Superbowl to date. :lol:

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:35 pm

I think that JC is here next year and for a few years after that. I think that he has a chip on his shoulder and will play with a lot of success this year.

As for Zorn being gone, I don't think that is going to happen either. The reason why is that none of these coaches are going to want to come into a situation where the owner is "SO INVOLVED" and a stuation that has a pres or whatever Vinny is called who has such a lack of ability to perform a job.

So thats my thinking. I know you will not agree but I could really care less. I have a lot of faith in JC and I know that the guys around him are going to be a lot better. Watch out for Malcolm Kelly. He's gonna have a big year.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:16 pm

I think that if the line holds up, JC will be here in '10. OTOH, if the line falters, I think JC's going to pay the price for it.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:47 pm

It seems really optimistic to think Jason Campbell is going to play well enough to stay, and I'm a fan.

Pretty much regardless of how he plays he's gonna have to get a big extension to stay, that's just the nature of quarterback contracts. Even if he repeats his play from last year he's not going to settle for less from us than Marc Bulger money I don't think. (He may even WANT to try and sign with a place like Minnesota since they have SB talent at every position but QB.)

He's gonna want to be paid to stay, and we'll have to make a long term commitment for just one year of success (if he even has a good season.)

I wonder if it wouldn't make sense for Washington to get involved in a three way trade with the Vikings and Browns for Brady Quinn. Quinn looks like a potential star, the Vikings may want Campbell and we may be able to keep our 1st rounder next season (perhaps Campbell for Vikings' second and both that and our second for Quinn? It's a better haul than Cassel got.)

That way we'd have a guy signed where we could watch him for a couple years before going to the negotiating table. It might save Zorn's job too since he'd be working with the future franchise QB. If Campbell leaves and we bring in a new guy why not fire the coach?

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:45 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:It seems really optimistic to think Jason Campbell is going to play well enough to stay, and I'm a fan.

Pretty much regardless of how he plays he's gonna have to get a big extension to stay, that's just the nature of quarterback contracts. Even if he repeats his play from last year he's not going to settle for less from us than Marc Bulger money I don't think. (He may even WANT to try and sign with a place like Minnesota since they have SB talent at every position but QB.)

He's gonna want to be paid to stay, and we'll have to make a long term commitment for just one year of success (if he even has a good season.)

I wonder if it wouldn't make sense for Washington to get involved in a three way trade with the Vikings and Browns for Brady Quinn. Quinn looks like a potential star, the Vikings may want Campbell and we may be able to keep our 1st rounder next season (perhaps Campbell for Vikings' second and both that and our second for Quinn? It's a better haul than Cassel got.)

That way we'd have a guy signed where we could watch him for a couple years before going to the negotiating table. It might save Zorn's job too since he'd be working with the future franchise QB. If Campbell leaves and we bring in a new guy why not fire the coach?

Eventually you have to build around someone. It not just the Redskins. There are other teams going through QBs and coaches these days. So if Quin is the answer then we actually have to stick with him for 3 or 4 years with the same coaches and system. Jason hasn't had this.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:26 pm

That's true enough, but I just don't see how Jason either has the talent or will get the true chance to become our franchise QB.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:02 pm

Ugh why can't we expect Jason to improve his decision making and stop pump faking a dumping the ball of all the time? Why can't we expect him to help the line out too? Is it because we know it's not going to happen?
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:58 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Ugh why can't we expect Jason to improve his decision making and stop pump faking a dumping the ball of all the time? Why can't we expect him to help the line out too? Is it because we know it's not going to happen?

Yet we are perfectly fine with the line not helping him.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:22 am

brad7686 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Ugh why can't we expect Jason to improve his decision making and stop pump faking a dumping the ball of all the time? Why can't we expect him to help the line out too? Is it because we know it's not going to happen?

Who is this we?
...any given Sunday....

GSPODS:

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:37 am

VetSkinsFan wrote:
brad7686 wrote:

Who is this we?

He's referring to the lack of OL drafted this year.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:04 am

Deadskins wrote:
VetSkinsFan wrote:
brad7686 wrote:

Who is this we?

<sigh> While we didn't draft a RT, our line is still pretty stable. It's not unheard of to take more than a year to come back from the kind of devastating injury that Jansen had. And to think that R Thomas played 100% last year awith the thought in the back of his mind that THIS play could paralyze him is reaching at best.

Why not put your frustrations aside and actually ENJOY the Redskins. I know it's a completely alien concept, but it might just freakin' work.
...any given Sunday....

GSPODS:

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:43 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
VetSkinsFan wrote:
brad7686 wrote:

Who is this we?

<sigh> While we didn't draft a RT, our line is still pretty stable. It's not unheard of to take more than a year to come back from the kind of devastating injury that Jansen had. And to think that R Thomas played 100% last year awith the thought in the back of his mind that THIS play could paralyze him is reaching at best.

Why not put your frustrations aside and actually ENJOY the Redskins. I know it's a completely alien concept, but it might just freakin' work.

You are talking to Brad, not me, right?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to General Manager's Office