The Free Agent the Redskins must sign is....

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

The Free Agent the Redskins must sign is....

Postby PMG12569 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:21 am

I understand our squeamish reaction to free agents but, lets face its not because every free agent is a bust, its because we suck at finding the hungry ones who still have a lot left. In my opinion there is one guy the Skins absolutely must sign...RT Ryan Harris. He is 25 years old, drafted by Shanahan and was very promising until a few injuries kept him from being his best last year. He knows the zone blocking and the fact that hes only 25 is crazy. My dream would be to have Trent at LT, Ryan at RT and draft the other Pouncey in the 2nd round to play center. Now in all liklihood Rocky and Carlos might not be coming back. I still put Ryan Harris as the number one FA target. No. 2 would be Asomghua, but thats just me being a greedy free agent whore....Who is yours?

swine

Postby fanforlife » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:35 am

HAIL PMG12569!
If Jamal Brown is so interested in signing with another team that's willing to sing him for LT kind of $$$, then so be it. But we must learn from the situation at hand. He was coming off of a serious hip injury & therefore didn't play in the manner a Pro Bowl caliber player should. If we're going to take a chance on another "rehabbing" player, then we MUST make sure that he'll be good to go by the start of the season. We can't afford to have a RT playing at 80%-90%%, he needs to be 100%. Although, I'd be willing to take a chance on a 25 year old rather than a 31 year old.
HTTR!!!
as always...HTTR!!!

piggie

Postby ICEMAN » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:00 pm

These all sound great! And there is nothing wrong with Free Agents. The best class we had was when Coach Gibbs came back in 2004. The players he obtained allowed the Skins to make two play-offs caliber seasons. With that said, if we can re-sign J. Brown, and make Asomougha and Santana Moss our priority and take Cam Newton or Von Miller our 10# pick of the draft. If Pouncey or any other sure fire Center is available in the draft....then by all means let's get him!

With the exception of the strong safety (A.A.) and B. Lloyd and now Keamatoe, we have not had any bust. Dating back to '04, we've enjoyed Shawn Springs, C. Griffin, London Fletcher, Randy Thomas, DeAngelo Hall, Randel El, Marcus Washington, Andre Carter, Philip Daniels, C. Rabach(when he could block), the trades that brought us C.P. and Moss as well as D MAC. Even Brunell, was good for a season or two. Todd Collins was a very servicable back-up who led us into the play-offs. I even thought our kicker John Hall was respectable. We should always attack free agency with aggression to build our team!

piggie

Postby ICEMAN » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:15 pm

These all sound great! And there is nothing wrong with Free Agents. The best class we had was when Coach Gibbs came back in 2004. The players he obtained allowed the Skins to make two play-offs caliber seasons. With that said, if we can re-sign J. Brown, and make Asomougha and Santana Moss our priority and take Cam Newton or Von Miller our 10# pick of the draft. If Pouncey or any other sure fire Center is available in the draft....then by all means let's get him!

With the exception of the strong safety (A.A.) and B. Lloyd and now Keamatoe, we have not had any bust. Dating back to '04, we've enjoyed Shawn Springs, C. Griffin, London Fletcher, Randy Thomas, DeAngelo Hall, Randel El, Marcus Washington, Andre Carter, Philip Daniels, C. Rabach(when he could block), the trades that brought us C.P. and Moss as well as D MAC. Even Brunell, was good for a season or two. Todd Collins was a very servicable back-up who led us into the play-offs. I even thought our kicker John Hall was respectable. We should always attack free agency with aggression to build our team!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:13 pm

fanforlife wrote:HAIL PMG12569!
If Jamal Brown is so interested in signing with another team that's willing to sing him for LT kind of $$$, then so be it. But we must learn from the situation at hand. He was coming off of a serious hip injury & therefore didn't play in the manner a Pro Bowl caliber player should. If we're going to take a chance on another "rehabbing" player, then we MUST make sure that he'll be good to go by the start of the season. We can't afford to have a RT playing at 80%-90%%, he needs to be 100%. Although, I'd be willing to take a chance on a 25 year old rather than a 31 year old.
HTTR!!!

Excellent point!

Hog

Re: The Free Agent the Redskins must sign is....

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:17 pm

PMG12569 wrote:I understand our squeamish reaction to free agents but, lets face its not because every free agent is a bust, its because we suck at finding the hungry ones who still have a lot left. In my opinion there is one guy the Skins absolutely must sign...RT Ryan Harris. He is 25 years old, drafted by Shanahan and was very promising until a few injuries kept him from being his best last year. He knows the zone blocking and the fact that hes only 25 is crazy. My dream would be to have Trent at LT, Ryan at RT and draft the other Pouncey in the 2nd round to play center. Now in all liklihood Rocky and Carlos might not be coming back. I still put Ryan Harris as the number one FA target. No. 2 would be Asomghua, but thats just me being a greedy free agent whore....Who is yours?

You have a good argument for Harris. It says in the article below that the Redskins were interested in trading for him before the deadline.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... st-season/

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:32 pm

ICEMAN wrote:These all sound great! And there is nothing wrong with Free Agents. The best class we had was when Coach Gibbs came back in 2004. The players he obtained allowed the Skins to make two play-offs caliber seasons. With that said, if we can re-sign J. Brown, and make Asomougha and Santana Moss our priority and take Cam Newton or Von Miller our 10# pick of the draft. If Pouncey or any other sure fire Center is available in the draft....then by all means let's get him!

You have to add Haynesworth as a bust in there. Even in the 4-3 under Zorn, he failed to live up to his contract.

Asomougha and Hall in the same defensive backfield again. Maybe it will work this time.

piggie

Postby ICEMAN » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:09 pm

I still won't classify Albert in the same bust category, because he just is NOT. He is a disruptive force and we...as usual...are not playing him in the defense that best uses his talents. I thought he played well under Zorn when he did play.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:48 pm

ICEMAN wrote:I still won't classify Albert in the same bust category, because he just is NOT. He is a disruptive force and we...as usual...are not playing him in the defense that best uses his talents. I thought he played well under Zorn when he did play.

Notice in my post, I said that he didn't live up to his contract." No matter who one would like to blame for the failures of Albert as a Redskin (Cerrato, Snyder, Blache, Shanahan, or Albert himself - take your pick) 20 games ( and that is not a full 20 games) for a 41 million dollar signing bonus spells B-U-S-T in my book. Thankfully, Allen and Shanny have cleared this guy off our books so that a reintroduction of the salary cap will not hurt us with him still on our roster.

Postby yupchagee » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:46 am

ICEMAN wrote:I still won't classify Albert in the same bust category, because he just is NOT. He is a disruptive force and we...as usual...are not playing him in the defense that best uses his talents. I thought he played well under Zorn when he did play.

Is the operative phrase.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

piggie

Postby ICEMAN » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:00 am

Well...what can I say...I guess I still want this "Not Living Up to the Standards" player, to still wreak havoc while playing for the Skins. He is too valuable an asset and force to just dismiss.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:19 am

No defense or offense can be very effective if all of the players are not playing together - the proof of that is VERY evident with this franchise
we have consistently brought in players who have played well elsewhere and seen the result, first hand :oops:

Haynesworth's presence on the field alone will NOT help any defense - this tub of lard is a waste of time and money on a very large scale :roll:

HOPEFULLY we can bring in a number of young free agents AND find a way to increase our draft picks by trading anyone who does not offer help for this franchise for many years to come

we need to get a lot of younger players in here and find a way to trade some older players while we can still get something for them

we need a huge overhaul here, and soon
Robert Griffin will become a really good NFL QB he's got the physical attributes and he knows what he has to do to

hopefully Kirk Cousins can take advantage of this opportunity till RG3 is ready to play again

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:00 pm

I don't know how you can say Albert isn't a bust. He is the definition of a bust. He took a ton of money played a few good games and took the rest off.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Hog

Postby skins2357 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:56 am

Here is my priority wish list.

1. Ryan Harris (RT)
2. Davin Joseph (RG)
3. Stephen Tulloch (ILB)
4. Jonathan Joseph (CB)
5. Matt Prater (K)

Draft.

#10- Trade Back to late 1st. Pick up extra 2nd
1st - Phil Talor (NT) - Most important position in a 3-4
2nd - Rodney Hudson (LG) - Perfect for ZBS
2nd - Stephen Paea (DT/DE) - Injury caused stock to drop. 3-4 DE like Ngata in Bmore
D Line/LB/OL depth with rest of picks
Mike/Bruce - If your going to spring big this year in Free Agency, please spring big on offensive lineman! I cant watch Rabach anymore!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:29 pm

ICEMAN wrote:Well...what can I say...I guess I still want this "Not Living Up to the Standards" player, to still wreak havoc while playing for the Skins. He is too valuable an asset and force to just dismiss.

I would love to see Mr. Bust wreak havoc for the Skins as well. Once he realizes that Shanny has no intention of letting him walk from the Skins scot free, he will either decide to play Shanny ball or self destruct and by the looks of things lately, he has chosen to self destruct.

Return to General Manager's Office