The Free Agent the Redskins must sign is....

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!

Postby yupchagee » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:17 pm

skins2357 wrote:Here is my priority wish list.

1. Ryan Harris (RT)
2. Davin Joseph (RG)
3. Stephen Tulloch (ILB)
4. Jonathan Joseph (CB)
5. Matt Prater (K)

Draft.

#10- Trade Back to late 1st. Pick up extra 2nd
1st - Phil Talor (NT) - Most important position in a 3-4
2nd - Rodney Hudson (LG) - Perfect for ZBS
2nd - Stephen Paea (DT/DE) - Injury caused stock to drop. 3-4 DE like Ngata in Bmore
D Line/LB/OL depth with rest of picks

I htink we need help a QB big time & at WR, esp if Moss leaves.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:14 am

We are not as close to having a decent product on the field as some think

1) we are too old

2) this FO made some bad decisions on personnel

3) the offensive and defensive co-ordinators made some bad decisions on what would be effective for the groups of players that they had

The good news is that the guys in charge here both on the field and in the FO, IMO, are a BIG improvement over what we had in those positions in December of 2009 - HOWEVER, we did not make as much progress from the change as many of us would have liked

we are in better shape because we have these guys and HOPEFULLY they have learned from their many mistakes

we still need to get a lot younger.

I hope we only bring in young free agents and we add to our draft picks by trading some of our better older players - we are not far off but I hope these guys don't try and put as competitive a group out there as quickly as possible - that has not worked ANYWHERE

Our FO needs to ensure they only add young guys that can develop together just like the other successful franchises do

I'm not advocating having no older players - I'm just hoping that we can get away from having one of the oldest rosters in the NFL which we seem to have had for many years now, that might have worked in the seventies and eighties - NOT in the NFL of today
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby SKINFAN » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:30 pm

sign a few of our free agents, like Moss. =)
#21 (36) This IS and will always be the High watermark where all new DB's are measured.

Proverbs 27:17

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:44 am

I do hope that Moss is a part of this franchise - he's worth more, to keep when all things are considered
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:58 pm

Is Joe Don Looney still available???

Joe Don encounters Merlin Olsen (a bit before "Little House On the Prairie")
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby yupchagee » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:05 am

SkinsJock wrote:I do hope that Moss is a part of this franchise - he's worth more, to keep when all things are considered

I agree, & also Brown, Rogers ^ Rocky.
Skins fan since '55

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:29 pm

yupchagee wrote:
skins2357 wrote:Here is my priority wish list.

1. Ryan Harris (RT)
2. Davin Joseph (RG)
3. Stephen Tulloch (ILB)
4. Jonathan Joseph (CB)
5. Matt Prater (K)

Draft.

#10- Trade Back to late 1st. Pick up extra 2nd
1st - Phil Talor (NT) - Most important position in a 3-4
2nd - Rodney Hudson (LG) - Perfect for ZBS
2nd - Stephen Paea (DT/DE) - Injury caused stock to drop. 3-4 DE like Ngata in Bmore
D Line/LB/OL depth with rest of picks

I htink we need help a QB big time & at WR, esp if Moss leaves.

i agree...but we cant get EVERYTHING we need in one offseason. btw love the idea of picking up jonathan joseph if we could. Would be a great 3 and is still young and can burn.
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:50 pm

I don't agree that Keamatoe was a bust. He was coming back from a serious injury, especially for a huge (and a little older) guy. That injury normally takes 2 years to recover from.

Our Defense had so many issues last year -- moving to a 3-4, Keamatoe coming back from injury, Haynesworth being a turd, several (way too many) guys playing out of position (McIntosh, Carter, Gholston), guys getting hurt, like Landry Horton, etc...

Adding two solid players this draft and AJ will make a difference. I'd say, keep Carlos too.

I want to see what Henson can do this year too. He looked great in preseason.

While we won't make a jump to a top D, I think this group can make a huge jump in production.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun May 01, 2011 9:49 am

fredp45 wrote:I don't agree that Keamatoe was a bust. He was coming back from a serious injury, especially for a huge (and a little older) guy. That injury normally takes 2 years to recover from.

Exactly, I haven't understood in all the Kemo bashing why no one has recognized that.

Do we still have him? I remember lots of references he would be released but none that he was. For the reason you state I'd love to have him at least in camp this year, particularly since this isn't a hole we filled in the draft and he's been a quality NT, he seems like he'd be worth it to provide mentoring as well.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:37 am

Ryan Harris and Davin Joseph are my 1-2 as well' After that I'd go NT and ILB. Even if we use John Beck this season, we might actually be pretty good.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:Ryan Harris and Davin Joseph are my 1-2 as well' After that I'd go NT and ILB. Even if we use John Beck this season, we might actually be pretty good.

I am with you on Harris, Joseph and NT, but I think Riley is the guy to step up for the ILB and I am thiking that Zo will move to ILB and maybe win the job and keep Riley in reserve longer.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu May 05, 2011 5:00 pm

Resign Moss, Rogers, McIntosh

Sign
Ryan Harris
Cullen Jenkins
Namdi Asogmua
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Postby yupchagee » Fri May 27, 2011 8:46 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
fredp45 wrote:I don't agree that Keamatoe was a bust. He was coming back from a serious injury, especially for a huge (and a little older) guy. That injury normally takes 2 years to recover from.

Exactly, I haven't understood in all the Kemo bashing why no one has recognized that.

Do we still have him? I remember lots of references he would be released but none that he was. For the reason you state I'd love to have him at least in camp this year, particularly since this isn't a hole we filled in the draft and he's been a quality NT, he seems like he'd be worth it to provide mentoring as well.

I'm pretty sure we resigned him.
Skins fan since '55

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri May 27, 2011 9:06 pm

yupchagee wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

I'm pretty sure we resigned him.

He signed a 2 year deal last year won't be a FA until 2012... rumors were he was going to get cut the day after Dock got the axe
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:08 pm

On the positive side, the Redskins' current payroll is $75.7 million, meaning Snyder would have to spend close to $45 million in cash to meet the potential minimum floor requirements. Imagine a system that forces Snyder to spend.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=6699864

So if We do have $45 million to spend on salaries. How many free agents can we reasonably sign?

1nik am I understanding this cap thing right? Not sure about how the $19 million in cap space applies ($10 plus the $9 milliion from Haynesworth and McNabb assuming that they will no longer with the team.

2010 salaries ROUNDED to nearest $1 million (See link below for actual)

Cullen Jenkins - DE - Packers - $3 million
Aubrayo Franklin NT - 49ers - $7 million
Nnamdi Asomugha -CB - Raiders - $14 million avg per year
Ryan Harris T - Denver - $1 million - With Brown signing elsewhere
Davin Joseph - G - Bucs - $2 million
Total - $27

Maybes
Jonathan Joseph CB -Bengals - $9 a year Alt to Asomugha
Stephen Tulloch - LB - Titans - $3 million - Alt to Rocky
Paul Posluszny - ILB - Bills - $1 million - Another Alt to Rocky

Redskin players ROUNDED figures
Santana Moss - $4 million
Rocky - $2 million
Rex - Guessing high at $2 million
Total - $8

Redskin Maybes
Jamal Brown - $3 million
Reed - $2 million
Kedric - $2 million
Carlos - $2 million

This list has us starting at $35 with $10 million left to bid higher. It is expected that Asomugha will command $19 million, so that leaves $ 5 million to bid on the others. This is simple Math but I an realizing that it isn't that simple. I need to figure inrookie salaries which I think that I heard an estimate of $5 million. I also need to figure in bonuses and how the contract is structured for a cap hit total.
Using OJ Atogwe's contract gives some insight to how it might look for older FA, say 30 ish (OJ is 30).

Is this an example of how our FO will handle contracts of older Free Agents, 30ish?

OJ made $2 million in 2010 for 2011, his contract called for $4 million (rounded from $3.5 mil).

From us he gets a $900,000 base salary and a $6.5 million dollar signing bonus for a 2011 cap hit of $7.4 million. Looking at OJ's contract, Asomugha's salary and signing bonus would have to huge and even though he is 30 like OJ, his bonus would likely have to be spread out putting us back in the old way of doing business. I say pass on Asommugha and look at Joseph or an even more less expensive guy than Joseph - someone who can cover and catch the ball.

OJ Atogwe's contract.

The key provision is a fully guaranteed $6.5 million roster bonus to be paid on the fifth day of the 2011 league year along with a base salary of $900,000, also guaranteed. As currently structured that will mean that $7.4 million of the guaranteed money will go against the 2011 salary cap.
This is a radical departure from the way the team has done business in the past. Instead of taking a large cap hit early in most deals, the Redskins would backload money later in contracts to lessen the immediate salary cap hit of big-money deals. That would help create more cap room in the short term but it would create issues down the road when players were in declining productivity but still carrying large salary cap figures thanks to the structure of the deals.

http://realredskins.com/2011/03/atogwe- ... for-skins/

http://www.lockerpulse.com/News/Bengals ... -S1381516/

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/ ... rs/5417728

http://www.sportscity.com/NFL-Salaries/

Return to General Manager's Office