Carson Palmer?

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
+++++++++

Carson Palmer?

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:51 am

Okay,

So go with me on this...

The Skins want to "win now", they have a lot more pressing needs than QB with their limited draft picks. Palmer hates Cincy and has threatened retirement rather than play another game for them. He's only 31 and could play 5 more seasons.

What about making a swap of Palmer for Haynesworth? Cincinnati has never been shy about guys with "character" issues if they can play, and might get HUGE production out of Fat Al. Imagine a defensive line where you have Haynesworth and Domata Peko lining up shoulder to shoulder. They'd be dominant.

Basically they are going to be in a position where they get nothing for Palmer if they play hardball. This may be the ONLY way for them to get any value for him at all, someone with the skills to be a dominating force on defense working with a coach who has a history as being player friendly and dealing with "bad attitudes."

If the Bengals don't bite we can add some to sweeten the deal or use McNabb as the centerpiece instead.

Carson Palmer is an incredibly talented quarterback who's played on some lousy teams in his career. In Washington he's got a chance to bring a title to a franchise that is DYING for one. I think a AH swap actually benefits the Bengals, the Redskins AND Palmer personally. It's a win-win-win. :)
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Re: Carson Palmer?

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:12 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:Okay,

So go with me on this...

The Skins want to "win now", they have a lot more pressing needs than QB with their limited draft picks. Palmer hates Cincy and has threatened retirement rather than play another game for them. He's only 31 and could play 5 more seasons.

What about making a swap of Palmer for Haynesworth? Cincinnati has never been shy about guys with "character" issues if they can play, and might get HUGE production out of Fat Al. Imagine a defensive line where you have Haynesworth and Domata Peko lining up shoulder to shoulder. They'd be dominant.

Basically they are going to be in a position where they get nothing for Palmer if they play hardball. This may be the ONLY way for them to get any value for him at all, someone with the skills to be a dominating force on defense working with a coach who has a history as being player friendly and dealing with "bad attitudes."

If the Bengals don't bite we can add some to sweeten the deal or use McNabb as the centerpiece instead.

Carson Palmer is an incredibly talented quarterback who's played on some lousy teams in his career. In Washington he's got a chance to bring a title to a franchise that is DYING for one. I think a AH swap actually benefits the Bengals, the Redskins AND Palmer personally. It's a win-win-win. :)

If the Bengals would do a Palmer for Haynesworth, I think that it would be great. I don't think that it is realistic because they would take a PR hit on that one. Adding something to sweeten the deal would have to happen.
McNabb for Palmer? You might have something there. In an earlier post on another thread, I wrote that their contract value is similar. They both had sub par seasons last year. It seams like a reasonable swap.

This deal would have to come late in the training camp, because the Bengals are going to try to wait out Palmer to see if he is bluffing on his retirement promise if he doesn't get traded. At that point, they might be at a "we better get something for nothing." Gruden might be running a west coast O similar to Jon's, so McNabb could come in and hold to fort while their rookie draftee QB learns the ropes. This scenario works for the Bengals. For us, I am not so sure, because Carson coming in so late that that would put him in a back up role for awhile while he learns the O. This deal only happens if both sides are desparate.

The scenario we are looking at if McNabb is still with us for training camp is a QB going down with an injury and we trade McNabb for a draft choice.

I like your idea, though, of getting somebody of quality for players we do not want anyway.

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:32 pm

How about McNabb and Haynesworth (maybe throw in Horton or Doughty too) for Palmer and say, a 3rd or 4th rounder?

For this team to begin anew, we must get rid of the drama. We had wayyyy too much with Big Al and McNabb last year. We need to move both and getting Palmer allows us to take other players with our first and second round picks. If we can get a 3rd or 4th round pick, use that to take a young qb that we can groom. Palmer allows us to not worry about QB for 2-3 years while we build our line and defense.

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:28 pm

Is Palmer that good? I mean, I like him cuz he played in SoCal.....but come on. Give me a bone, will you....???
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:17 pm

He had an average this year in 10-11 but has really good years in the past. He is a solid qb, for sure. We wouldn't be sorry to have him.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:53 pm

He was 30 yds shy of 4k this year, above 60% completion rating, 26/20 TD/INT ratio. He's been fairly durable and as QBs go, he's not been sacked a whole hell of a lot. I'd be interested to know what they want for him.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:09 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:He was 30 yds shy of 4k this year, above 60% completion rating, 26/20 TD/INT ratio. He's been fairly durable and as QBs go, he's not been sacked a whole hell of a lot. I'd be interested to know what they want for him.

I don't know my brutha, if Shanahan says Mcnugget doesn't have the cardio-wutsit-thingy-ma-jiggy I really doubt he'll want Carson. Than again man who the heck knows what kind of QB he wants.. than than than again it may be kyle who's the one picking the QB?
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:24 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote: than again it may be kyle who's the one picking the QB?

I think you hit that one on the head, LPJ! That's why McNabb got pulled in Detroit and why Grossman started the last three games.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:35 am

Red_One43 wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote: than again it may be kyle who's the one picking the QB?

I think you hit that one on the head, LPJ! That's why McNabb got pulled in Detroit and why Grossman started the last three games.

Ahh yes my friend, I think I remember that game.. that's the one where Rex came in and threw a 95 yard TD right? .. oh no wait, it was the sack/fumble ran in for a TD by the rookie.

#-o
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

Return to General Manager's Office