Standard NFL Contract from 1944

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
DarthMonk
Posts: 4433
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Standard NFL Contract from 1944

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:16 pm

Here are links to a cover letter sent by Curly Lambeau to Ed McGroarty and the standard contract:

Cover letter:

http://www.businessinsider.com/standard ... -lambeau-1

To see the contract use the arrow to page 2 or the following link.

Contract:

http://www.businessinsider.com/standard ... contract-2

PS - Both "Curly" and "McGroarty" are spelled incorrectly!

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

tribe
Online
Posts: 6171
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:11 pm

Wow, what a simple and straight forward letter from Mr. Lambeau.

Times have changed.........SURELY....!!!!
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

the 'mudge
Posts: 14639
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:23 am

tribeofjudah wrote:Wow, what a simple and straight forward letter from Mr. Lambeau.

Times have changed.........SURELY....!!!!


That's what tends to happen with the applied effort of a few barristers...

The Colony of Virginia was right when they banned them...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:10 am

How many pages is the average NFL contract today?

Couldn't find much to answer this question. The article below does mention at least 15 paragraphs, but I am sure that there are plenty more paragraphs.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jul/21 ... orts-bucs/

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Red_One43 wrote:How many pages is the average NFL contract today?

Couldn't find much to answer this question. The article below does mention at least 15 paragraphs, but I am sure that there are plenty more paragraphs.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jul/21 ... orts-bucs/


Found an answer that satisfies my question concerning how long is the average NFL contract today. Andrew Brandt is specifically talking rookie contracts and this one for AJ Hawk's rookie year was 33 pages. That is quite a contrast to the one pager listed on this thread.

This is how these contracts became paperweights. Every word or phrase is parsed by the NFL Management Council with most kicked back to teams for revisions. In 2006, I remember doing the deal for the fifth pick in the Draft, AJ Hawk, and writing a 33 page contract that seemed to never end.


http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Pay ... picks.html

DarthMonk
Posts: 4433
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:24 pm

I gotta tell ya red, I dug like crazy on this and am still not satisfied. There was a standard contract online but it got taken down when the union decertified. I'd love to see the new standard contract before any particular agent/player combo starts tweaking it for their own situation.

DarthMonk

Red_One43 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:How many pages is the average NFL contract today?

Couldn't find much to answer this question. The article below does mention at least 15 paragraphs, but I am sure that there are plenty more paragraphs.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jul/21 ... orts-bucs/


Found an answer that satisfies my question concerning how long is the average NFL contract today. Andrew Brandt is specifically talking rookie contracts and this one for AJ Hawk's rookie year was 33 pages. That is quite a contrast to the one pager listed on this thread.

This is how these contracts became paperweights. Every word or phrase is parsed by the NFL Management Council with most kicked back to teams for revisions. In 2006, I remember doing the deal for the fifth pick in the Draft, AJ Hawk, and writing a 33 page contract that seemed to never end.


http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Pay ... picks.html
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4433
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:32 pm

Appendix C on pages 248-256. That's 9 pages.

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResou ... 202012.pdf

DarthMonk

Red_One43 wrote:How many pages is the average NFL contract today?

Couldn't find much to answer this question. The article below does mention at least 15 paragraphs, but I am sure that there are plenty more paragraphs.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jul/21 ... orts-bucs/
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to General Manager's Office