Cullen Jenkins and free agency

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1881
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:15 pm
Location: Michigan

Cullen Jenkins and free agency

Postby andyjens89 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:03 pm

According to Mike Jones of the Washington Post, the Redskins are interested in Jenkins — and Jenkins is interested in the Redskins.


Link

I think this could be a good pick up. We could also grab his brother to play nose tackle.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 2115
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Postby die cowboys die » Thu May 12, 2011 5:22 am

i am in favor of picking up both those guys, just so we can put them on the field along with Jarvis Jenkins and have an all-Jenkins defensive line :D

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:32 pm

die cowboys die wrote:i am in favor of picking up both those guys, just so we can put them on the field along with Jarvis Jenkins and have an all-Jenkins defensive line :D


That would make it too easy for the play-by-play announcers.

**ch44
Posts: 2381
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby chiefhog44 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:29 pm

Don't we have Carriker this year? I thought he was excellent
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

08 Champ
Posts: 13411
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Sat May 14, 2011 7:56 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:Don't we have Carriker this year? I thought he was excellent


as far as I know, there is no limit on the # of really good players at 1 position each team is allowed to have - this could change :lol:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

B-rad
Posts: 3051
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 am
Location: De La War

Postby brad7686 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:07 am

In all reality the Jenkins we drafted is still a second and may need time to develop, if he develops at all. So bringing in a FA makes sense. I believe we actually weren't that bad at DE last year and the lack of a NT made it look worse.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:59 pm

brad7686 wrote: I believe we actually weren't that bad at DE last year and the lack of a NT made it look worse.


I felt that Kedric Golston's DE postion was screaming for an upgrade.

#######
Posts: 7225
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Postby The Hogster » Mon May 23, 2011 5:18 pm

We need him badly.
SPIT HAPPENS!!
___________________________

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue May 24, 2011 8:41 am

die cowboys die wrote:i am in favor of picking up both those guys, just so we can put them on the field along with Jarvis Jenkins and have an all-Jenkins defensive line :D


:up:

NICE!.. I'm all for that!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

#14
Posts: 4306
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Postby yupchagee » Fri May 27, 2011 8:39 pm

brad7686 wrote:In all reality the Jenkins we drafted is still a second and may need time to develop, if he develops at all. So bringing in a FA makes sense. I believe we actually weren't that bad at DE last year and the lack of a NT made it look worse.


I agree completely, we should have addressed NT earlier in the draft.
Also I think Jarmon will be a very good DE somewhere. I just hope it's with us.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat May 28, 2011 9:16 am

yupchagee wrote:
brad7686 wrote:In all reality the Jenkins we drafted is still a second and may need time to develop, if he develops at all. So bringing in a FA makes sense. I believe we actually weren't that bad at DE last year and the lack of a NT made it look worse.


I agree completely, we should have addressed NT earlier in the draft.
Also I think Jarmon will be a very good DE somewhere. I just hope it's with us.


I like Jarmon a lot too. It's time for a break out year from him. Maybe now that we're going to play the same D as last year this will be the one for him. If there is a season this year, which I doubt.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:42 pm

Postby fredp45 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:35 am

It seems to me DE is not a huge need for us now. We have Adam C, Jarvis Jenkins, Gholsten, Jarmon and oldsters Daniels and Holliday. With just two spots, how many do we keep? 4 or 5?

I'd like to see us concentrate on ILB and CB in free agency. If our current lot of NTs won't get it done, then we'll need another NT -- Franklin, the guy from SF. The question is, how many free agents can you spend money on?

We also need help on Offense -- one good WR, at least one lineman, maybe a QB.

We can't fix all of our ills in one year...

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:43 am

fredp45 wrote:It seems to me DE is not a huge need for us now. We have Adam C, Jarvis Jenkins, Gholsten, Jarmon and oldsters Daniels and Holliday. With just two spots, how many do we keep? 4 or 5?

I'd like to see us concentrate on ILB and CB in free agency. If our current lot of NTs won't get it done, then we'll need another NT -- Franklin, the guy from SF. The question is, how many free agents can you spend money on?

We also need help on Offense -- one good WR, at least one lineman, maybe a QB.

We can't fix all of our ills in one year...


Good question. What is our priority in free agency? What Cullen gives us that we don't have is a DE that can rush the passer as well as play the run He had 8 sacks last year. Jarvis is not expected to be a pass rusher. Carriker has yet to find his college prowess a pass rusher. Jarmon had potential to be that pass rusher, but potential is the key. Golston might be out if we sign Cullen. Holliday and Daniels are probably on their way out, period, as we get younger and prepare for the future.

I would think that NT would be the priority since we do have some depth at DE and question marks at NT and that NT is the key position of a 3-4. D line was clearly our major weakness on defense. Questions here is how high are the coaches on Neild. We know that Anthony Bryant is a solid back up. If healthy can Kemo play? How high are we on the NT prospects out there? Do we let Kemo go and pick up another stop gap guy like Kris Jenkins and look towad the draft next year?

If Rocky leaves, we would need to go after somebody. Stephen Tulloch - I like. He is young and rated by some as the top FA ILB/MLB. The question here is how do the coaches feel about Riley and Henson.

Carlos will most likely leave - So CB is also a need. Do was go after Nnamdi Asomugha? or somebody cheaper like Jonathan Joseph who can catch?

Lot's of holes!!! Of course, we knew that. We can't get 'em all this year.

Your question of how many free agents can we sign is dead on because the Offense can use a few free agents - do we sign O linemen. , What about a vet QB like Bulger? So we are talking possiblitites of a DE, NT, CB, ILB, at least one OL, a QB. We certaiinly can't sign all the top guys available for those positions. Do we go after the second tier guys like the old plan B? We also have to think about signing out own - Santana and Rocky.

This will make a great thread once the lockout is lifted? What are our priorities? Fred, you defintely got me thinking on this one. I was Cullen Jenkins all the way until your post.

I know one thing, I am glad our FO set us up in a position to be able to have to spend money on players.

One Step Away
Posts: 7652
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:31 am
Location: NoVA

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:39 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
fredp45 wrote:It seems to me DE is not a huge need for us now. We have Adam C, Jarvis Jenkins, Gholsten, Jarmon and oldsters Daniels and Holliday. With just two spots, how many do we keep? 4 or 5?

I'd like to see us concentrate on ILB and CB in free agency. If our current lot of NTs won't get it done, then we'll need another NT -- Franklin, the guy from SF. The question is, how many free agents can you spend money on?

We also need help on Offense -- one good WR, at least one lineman, maybe a QB.

We can't fix all of our ills in one year...


Good question. What is our priority in free agency? What Cullen gives us that we don't have is a DE that can rush the passer as well as play the run He had 8 sacks last year. Jarvis is not expected to be a pass rusher. Carriker has yet to find his college prowess a pass rusher. Jarmon had potential to be that pass rusher, but potential is the key. Golston might be out if we sign Cullen. Holliday and Daniels are probably on their way out, period, as we get younger and prepare for the future.

I would think that NT would be the priority since we do have some depth at DE and question marks at NT and that NT is the key position of a 3-4. D line was clearly our major weakness on defense. Questions here is how high are the coaches on Neild. We know that Anthony Bryant is a solid back up. If healthy can Kemo play? How high are we on the NT prospects out there? Do we let Kemo go and pick up another stop gap guy like Kris Jenkins and look towad the draft next year?

If Rocky leaves, we would need to go after somebody. Stephen Tulloch - I like. He is young and rated by some as the top FA ILB/MLB. The question here is how do the coaches feel about Riley and Henson.

Carlos will most likely leave - So CB is also a need. Do was go after Nnamdi Asomugha? or somebody cheaper like Jonathan Joseph who can catch?

Lot's of holes!!! Of course, we knew that. We can't get 'em all this year.

Your question of how many free agents can we sign is dead on because the Offense can use a few free agents - do we sign O linemen. , What about a vet QB like Bulger? So we are talking possiblitites of a DE, NT, CB, ILB, at least one OL, a QB. We certaiinly can't sign all the top guys available for those positions. Do we go after the second tier guys like the old plan B? We also have to think about signing out own - Santana and Rocky.

This will make a great thread once the lockout is lifted? What are our priorities? Fred, you defintely got me thinking on this one. I was Cullen Jenkins all the way until your post.

I know one thing, I am glad our FO set us up in a position to be able to have to spend money on players.


Don't count out home grown talent. Barnes deserves a shot at CB. I'm excited about Riley and Henson was looking good until he got hurt last pre-season. Bryant was looking fairly solid at the end of last year (granted, I think the report I recall was vs Giants 3rd string C ).

Not saying we can't look at these free agents or that they won't help us out, but we shouldn't sell our draftees short.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:56 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
fredp45 wrote:It seems to me DE is not a huge need for us now. We have Adam C, Jarvis Jenkins, Gholsten, Jarmon and oldsters Daniels and Holliday. With just two spots, how many do we keep? 4 or 5?

I'd like to see us concentrate on ILB and CB in free agency. If our current lot of NTs won't get it done, then we'll need another NT -- Franklin, the guy from SF. The question is, how many free agents can you spend money on?

We also need help on Offense -- one good WR, at least one lineman, maybe a QB.

We can't fix all of our ills in one year...


Good question. What is our priority in free agency? What Cullen gives us that we don't have is a DE that can rush the passer as well as play the run He had 8 sacks last year. Jarvis is not expected to be a pass rusher. Carriker has yet to find his college prowess a pass rusher. Jarmon had potential to be that pass rusher, but potential is the key. Golston might be out if we sign Cullen. Holliday and Daniels are probably on their way out, period, as we get younger and prepare for the future.

I would think that NT would be the priority since we do have some depth at DE and question marks at NT and that NT is the key position of a 3-4. D line was clearly our major weakness on defense. Questions here is how high are the coaches on Neild. We know that Anthony Bryant is a solid back up. If healthy can Kemo play? How high are we on the NT prospects out there? Do we let Kemo go and pick up another stop gap guy like Kris Jenkins and look towad the draft next year?

If Rocky leaves, we would need to go after somebody. Stephen Tulloch - I like. He is young and rated by some as the top FA ILB/MLB. The question here is how do the coaches feel about Riley and Henson.

Carlos will most likely leave - So CB is also a need. Do was go after Nnamdi Asomugha? or somebody cheaper like Jonathan Joseph who can catch?

Lot's of holes!!! Of course, we knew that. We can't get 'em all this year.

Your question of how many free agents can we sign is dead on because the Offense can use a few free agents - do we sign O linemen. , What about a vet QB like Bulger? So we are talking possiblitites of a DE, NT, CB, ILB, at least one OL, a QB. We certaiinly can't sign all the top guys available for those positions. Do we go after the second tier guys like the old plan B? We also have to think about signing out own - Santana and Rocky.

This will make a great thread once the lockout is lifted? What are our priorities? Fred, you defintely got me thinking on this one. I was Cullen Jenkins all the way until your post.

I know one thing, I am glad our FO set us up in a position to be able to have to spend money on players.


Don't count out home grown talent. Barnes deserves a shot at CB. I'm excited about Riley and Henson was looking good until he got hurt last pre-season. Bryant was looking fairly solid at the end of last year (granted, I think the report I recall was vs Giants 3rd string C ).

Not saying we can't look at these free agents or that they won't help us out, but we shouldn't sell our draftees short.


I hear you. Given that free agency should be used to fill a couple of holes and not fill a roster and that Shanny voiced a 3 -4 four year plan, there are some areas that he just might go with what we have.

Cullen Jenkins' base salary is $3.2 million. The bidding will begin somewhere around there.

http://www.sportscity.com/NFL-Salaries/

Return to General Manager's Office