Cullen Jenkins and free agency

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!

Postby yupchagee » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:43 pm

fredp45 wrote:It seems to me DE is not a huge need for us now. We have Adam C, Jarvis Jenkins, Gholsten, Jarmon and oldsters Daniels and Holliday. With just two spots, how many do we keep? 4 or 5?

I'd like to see us concentrate on ILB and CB in free agency. If our current lot of NTs won't get it done, then we'll need another NT -- Franklin, the guy from SF. The question is, how many free agents can you spend money on?

We also need help on Offense -- one good WR, at least one lineman, maybe a QB.

We can't fix all of our ills in one year...

My priorities for D in FA are NT & if Carlos leaves (Probable) CB.
Even if Rocky doesn't come back (I think he will) we have Blades (People seem to forget about him) Riley & Henson.

Not saying we can't upgrade elsewhere, but I think upgrades at these positions will have the greatest impact. Esp NT.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:16 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
Good question. What is our priority in free agency? What Cullen gives us that we don't have is a DE that can rush the passer as well as play the run He had 8 sacks last year. Jarvis is not expected to be a pass rusher. Carriker has yet to find his college prowess a pass rusher. Jarmon had potential to be that pass rusher, but potential is the key. Golston might be out if we sign Cullen. Holliday and Daniels are probably on their way out, period, as we get younger and prepare for the future.

I would think that NT would be the priority since we do have some depth at DE and question marks at NT and that NT is the key position of a 3-4. D line was clearly our major weakness on defense. Questions here is how high are the coaches on Neild. We know that Anthony Bryant is a solid back up. If healthy can Kemo play? How high are we on the NT prospects out there? Do we let Kemo go and pick up another stop gap guy like Kris Jenkins and look towad the draft next year?

Cullen would be a good addition that would create a nice DE rotation without forcing Jarvis Jenkins to start day one. Aubrayo Franklin would give Neild time to get his feet under him as a pro NT as well. Adam Carriker, Kedric Golston, Jeremy Jarmon, Darrion Scott, and the two Jenkins along with Anthony Bryant, Neild and Franklin would pretty much fix the D line.

Red_One43 wrote:If Rocky leaves, we would need to go after somebody. Stephen Tulloch - I like. He is young and rated by some as the top FA ILB/MLB. The question here is how do the coaches feel about Riley and Henson.

I think Rocky wants to come back but I also think there are better ILB on the market but most of them are on the wrong side of 30. Re-signing Rocky and adding a young/cheap free agent like San Diego’s Kevin Burnett would allow for better completion for a weak spot on the roster. Lorenzo Alexander, Chris Wilson, Rob Jackson, Perry Riley, and Robert Henson would have to battle for 3 maybe 4 spots

Red_One43 wrote:Carlos will most likely leave - So CB is also a need. Do was go after Nnamdi Asomugha? or somebody cheaper like Jonathan Joseph who can catch?

Rogers is gone no doubt about it, but I'm not sure Nnamdi is the right fit. He had 8 interceptions in a season 5 years ago, but only three over the last 4 seasons. The Redskins want turnovers and Aso doesn't produce them. Brent Grimes is only 27 years old, was in the top 5 in deflected passes last season, and had five picks last year. Jonathan Joseph will be looking for $10+ million per years

Red_One43 wrote:Lot's of holes!!! Of course, we knew that. We can't get 'em all this year.

Your question of how many free agents can we sign is dead on because the Offense can use a few free agents - do we sign O linemen. , What about a vet QB like Bulger? So we are talking possiblitites of a DE, NT, CB, ILB, at least one OL, a QB. We certaiinly can't sign all the top guys available for those positions. Do we go after the second tier guys like the old plan B? We also have to think about signing out own - Santana and Rocky.

I think Shanny has a plan and a list that he'll be working off and signing six free agents is nothing new for "the Danny".

Red_One43 wrote:This will make a great thread once the lockout is lifted? What are our priorities? Fred, you defintely got me thinking on this one. I was Cullen Jenkins all the way until your post.

I know one thing, I am glad our FO set us up in a position to be able to have to spend money on players.

I think NT, ILB, OG, CB, DE, then QB are the priories here. I put QB last because I think he grab one or two UDFA at that spot and Davin Joseph will be a starting guard.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:10 pm

1niksder wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
Good question. What is our priority in free agency? What Cullen gives us that we don't have is a DE that can rush the passer as well as play the run He had 8 sacks last year. Jarvis is not expected to be a pass rusher. Carriker has yet to find his college prowess a pass rusher. Jarmon had potential to be that pass rusher, but potential is the key. Golston might be out if we sign Cullen. Holliday and Daniels are probably on their way out, period, as we get younger and prepare for the future.

I would think that NT would be the priority since we do have some depth at DE and question marks at NT and that NT is the key position of a 3-4. D line was clearly our major weakness on defense. Questions here is how high are the coaches on Neild. We know that Anthony Bryant is a solid back up. If healthy can Kemo play? How high are we on the NT prospects out there? Do we let Kemo go and pick up another stop gap guy like Kris Jenkins and look towad the draft next year?

Cullen would be a good addition that would create a nice DE rotation without forcing Jarvis Jenkins to start day one. Aubrayo Franklin would give Neild time to get his feet under him as a pro NT as well. Adam Carriker, Kedric Golston, Jeremy Jarmon, Darrion Scott, and the two Jenkins along with Anthony Bryant, Neild and Franklin would pretty much fix the D line.

Red_One43 wrote:If Rocky leaves, we would need to go after somebody. Stephen Tulloch - I like. He is young and rated by some as the top FA ILB/MLB. The question here is how do the coaches feel about Riley and Henson.

I think Rocky wants to come back but I also think there are better ILB on the market but most of them are on the wrong side of 30. Re-signing Rocky and adding a young/cheap free agent like San Diego’s Kevin Burnett would allow for better completion for a weak spot on the roster. Lorenzo Alexander, Chris Wilson, Rob Jackson, Perry Riley, and Robert Henson would have to battle for 3 maybe 4 spots

Red_One43 wrote:Carlos will most likely leave - So CB is also a need. Do was go after Nnamdi Asomugha? or somebody cheaper like Jonathan Joseph who can catch?

Rogers is gone no doubt about it, but I'm not sure Nnamdi is the right fit. He had 8 interceptions in a season 5 years ago, but only three over the last 4 seasons. The Redskins want turnovers and Aso doesn't produce them. Brent Grimes is only 27 years old, was in the top 5 in deflected passes last season, and had five picks last year. Jonathan Joseph will be looking for $10+ million per years

Red_One43 wrote:Lot's of holes!!! Of course, we knew that. We can't get 'em all this year.

Your question of how many free agents can we sign is dead on because the Offense can use a few free agents - do we sign O linemen. , What about a vet QB like Bulger? So we are talking possiblitites of a DE, NT, CB, ILB, at least one OL, a QB. We certaiinly can't sign all the top guys available for those positions. Do we go after the second tier guys like the old plan B? We also have to think about signing out own - Santana and Rocky.

I think Shanny has a plan and a list that he'll be working off and signing six free agents is nothing new for "the Danny".

Red_One43 wrote:This will make a great thread once the lockout is lifted? What are our priorities? Fred, you defintely got me thinking on this one. I was Cullen Jenkins all the way until your post.

I know one thing, I am glad our FO set us up in a position to be able to have to spend money on players.

I think NT, ILB, OG, CB, DE, then QB are the priories here. I put QB last because I think he grab one or two UDFA at that spot and Davin Joseph will be a starting guard.

I agree with signing Cullen Jenkins and Franklin and I agree with you that there are better ILB prospects out there than Rocky, so we might be looking elsewhere. I heard Kevin Durant's name mentioned on one of the ESPN 980 shows this afternoon. Though I think that Asomugha has so few interceptions because QBs are afraid to throw his way, I have to agree that this is not the way to go - that is waaaay too much money. I also have to agree about Joseph too. Grimes? If he covers as well as Rogers and can catch, he will do just fine and for the right price. Davin Joseph is on my list.

I think NT, DE, OG, OT (Ryan Harris should come cheap) CB, ILB, then QB. I agree with you that of the two other QB's to come to came, neither will be an established vet - One UDFA and one project vet. It is sink or swim with Grossman or Beck.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:26 pm

I heard this guys name, Stephen Bowen, Dallas Cowboy, on ESPN 980 (DC Area) on Friday. Stephen Bowen. The Radio Sports guys like him as a cheaper and younger alternative to Cullen Jenkins who is often injured. Love to steal one of their prized possessions, they have alreay offered him second round tender at $1.9 million. If we can't get him, at bid the price up on him.

Although Bowen doesn't attract a lot of limelight or get a lot of press, he has been surprisingly effective in a limited role (one which grew last season as he replaced an injured Marcus Spears in the starting lineup). As the DMN article points out, Bowen was named a "secret Superstar" by Pro Football Focus. After reviewing the 2010 tape, the guys at PFF ranked Bowen as the league's third-best 3-4 defensive end. Pretty impressive stuff. Exhibit A: in 346 pass-rush opportunities, Bowen had 25 total quarterback disruptions (one fewer than Jay Ratliff, who rushed the passer 137 more times).

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/6/9 ... phen-bowen

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:28 pm

Red_One43 wrote:I heard this guys name, Stephen Bowen, Dallas Cowboy, on ESPN 980 (DC Area) on Friday. Stephen Bowen. The Radio Sports guys like him as a cheaper and younger alternative to Cullen Jenkins who is often injured. Love to steal one of their prized possessions, they have alreay offered him second round tender at $1.9 million. If we can't get him, at bid the price up on him.

Although Bowen doesn't attract a lot of limelight or get a lot of press, he has been surprisingly effective in a limited role (one which grew last season as he replaced an injured Marcus Spears in the starting lineup). As the DMN article points out, Bowen was named a "secret Superstar" by Pro Football Focus. After reviewing the 2010 tape, the guys at PFF ranked Bowen as the league's third-best 3-4 defensive end. Pretty impressive stuff. Exhibit A: in 346 pass-rush opportunities, Bowen had 25 total quarterback disruptions (one fewer than Jay Ratliff, who rushed the passer 137 more times).

Younger is what Shanny wants and cheaper is the route they should take, depleting a rival is a bonus. Going younger means guys still not at their peak, and going cheaper means the ability to bring in more free agents to compete for roster spots.

Including resigning their own players and going younger and cheaper this would be nice:

Re-Sign: Rex Grossman, QB

Sign: San Francisco’s Aubrayo Franklin, NT

Sign: San Diego’s Kevin Burnett, ILB

Re-Sign: Santana Moss, WR

Sign: Tampa Bay’s Davin Joseph, G

Re- Sign: Jammal Brown, RT

Sign: Atlanta's Brent Grimes, CB

Sign: Carolina's Ryan Kalil, C

Sign: Detroit's Turk McBride, DE

Sign: New Orlean's Usama Young, or Baltimore's Josh Wilson, both play CB with local ties (hometown Discount???)

Sign: Denver's Ryan Harris OT

Re-Sign: Rocky McIntosh ILB

Sign: Jacksonville's Trent Edwards, or Pittsburg's Dennis Dixon, both play QB

Bringing in another WR and RB wouldn't hurt either.

Young and Cheap could fill a lot of holes quick, with this group.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby yupchagee » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:45 pm

1niksder wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:I heard this guys name, Stephen Bowen, Dallas Cowboy, on ESPN 980 (DC Area) on Friday. Stephen Bowen. The Radio Sports guys like him as a cheaper and younger alternative to Cullen Jenkins who is often injured. Love to steal one of their prized possessions, they have alreay offered him second round tender at $1.9 million. If we can't get him, at bid the price up on him.

Younger is what Shanny wants and cheaper is the route they should take, depleting a rival is a bonus. Going younger means guys still not at their peak, and going cheaper means the ability to bring in more free agents to compete for roster spots.

Including resigning their own players and going younger and cheaper this would be nice:

Sign: New Orlean's Usama Young, or Baltimore's Josh Wilson, both play CB with local ties (hometown Discount???)

Ryan Kalil has been franchised.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:51 pm

1niksder wrote:

Yes, to all above

Hasn't he been franchised? Yes, if we could get him.

Impressive player sounds like a Shanny type, but is only 6-2, 278. Was let go by the Chiefs when they switched to a 3-4. Doesn't seem like a 3-4 DE fit. I am going to go with Stephen Bowen even over Cullen Jenkins as my younger and cheaper signee.

Usama is listed as safety for the Saints, but played CB in college. Saint's SB Nation blogger says that he is among the guys he hopes return. Sign for competition. Might beat out Moore. Josh Wilson has four interception TDs in 3 years and one in at least each of his 3 pro seasons pro seasons. Sounds like he can catch. Definitely fill Buchanan's role.

Why sign Harris if you re-sign Brown? I like Harris, but he is my signee if Brown signs elsewhere.

My question here, Is Rocky a true ILB? If we sign Kevin Durant for ILB and have Riley, Henson, and Zo as inside backers, why re-sign Rocky?

I expect one of the two remaining QB slots to be filled with a project vet like Trent who was promising at one point, but might fullful promise in our scheme. Not sure if Trent or Dixon is the guy.

Interesting that you didn't go after a name receiver like "Rice." I am so tempted to do so, but this year is just not the year to spend on the WR spot. Signing a lower tier WR or RB sounds like a Shanny guy because he loves competition.

I do like young and cheap. Sounds like the old "Plan B" free agent philosophy of Joe Gibbs - get hungry, younger, and cheaper guys.

Question - How much do you estimate all the guys that you said that you would like to sign or re-sign will cost?

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:03 pm

yupchagee wrote:
1niksder wrote:

Ryan Kalil has been franchised.

That answers my question about Kalil.

Postby 1niksder » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:19 pm

yupchagee wrote:Ryan Kalil has been franchised.

I missed that so I'd go with Lyle Sendlein, from the Cardinals or Kyle Cook from the Bengals
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:43 pm

Bowen had a second-round tender placed on him, which might change based on the new CBA - if not he might cost

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Younger is what Shanny wants and cheaper is the route they should take, depleting a rival is a bonus. Going younger means guys still not at their peak, and going cheaper means the ability to bring in more free agents to compete for roster spots.

Yes, to all above

If we can't get Devin Joseph I'd settle for the Saints Carl Nicks if he's available, and the Jets David Harris if Burnett isn't signed.

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Sign: Carolina's Ryan Kalil, C

Yeah I missed that...

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Sign: Detroit's Turk McBride, DE

Impressive player sounds like a Shanny type, but is only 6-2, 278. Was let go by the Chiefs when they switched to a 3-4. Doesn't seem like a 3-4 DE fit. I am going to go with Stephen Bowen even over Cullen Jenkins as my younger and cheaper signee.

Then I'd go with Cullen Jenkins....

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Sign: New Orlean's Usama Young, or Baltimore's Josh Wilson, both play CB with local ties (hometown Discount???)

Usama is listed as safety for the Saints, but played CB in college. Saint's SB Nation blogger says that he is among the guys he hopes return. Sign for competition. Might beat out Moore. Josh Wilson has four interception TDs in 3 years and one in at least each of his 3 pro seasons pro seasons. Sounds like he can catch. Definitely fill Buchanan's role.

Usama might be a better #2 corner than anyone else on the Redskins roster AND can play safety, combined with Barnes (who looked good filling in at safety late last year) could free up a safety spot for another position

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Sign: Denver's Ryan Harris OT

Why sign Harris if you re-sign Brown? I like Harris, but he is my signee if Brown signs elsewhere.

Brown plays both left and right tackle, if he can't beat out Harris as the starting RT, then we still can be done with Stephon Heyer as the swing tackle

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Re-Sign: Rocky McIntosh ILB

My question here, Is Rocky a true ILB? If we sign Kevin Durant for ILB and have Riley, Henson, and Zo as inside backers, why re-sign Rocky?

He wants to re-sign here but if he leaves and Ryan Kerrigan can't play OLB what will they do? Zo was OK on the outside but if he were a option he wouldn't be trying to move inside, Riley and Henson are unknowns and Flecther won't be around for too many more years so we can't have to many ILB in camp

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Sign: Jacksonville's Trent Edwards, or Pittsburg's Dennis Dixon, both play QB

I expect one of the two remaining QB slots to be filled with a project vet like Trent who was promising at one point, but might fullful promise in our scheme. Not sure if Trent or Dixon is the guy.

I actually want him to bring in Bulger but who knows what the Shannies will do

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Bringing in another WR and RB wouldn't hurt either.

Interesting that you didn't go after a name receiver like "Rice." I am so tempted to do so, but this year is just not the year to spend on the WR spot. Signing a lower tier WR or RB sounds like a Shanny guy because he loves competition.

They'll have the money to go after Rice but it may limit them in filling other holes, it really all boils down to what the final CBA looks like.

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Young and Cheap could fill a lot of holes quick, with this group.

I do like young and cheap. Sounds like the old "Plan B" free agent philosophy of Joe Gibbs - get hungry, younger, and cheaper guys.

Question - How much do you estimate all the guys that you said that you would like to sign or re-sign will cost?

Again until they get a CBA we won't know how 2011 contracts will be structured to impact the new cap and spending floor. Regardless, the way Eric Shaffer works they can get them all
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:19 pm

1niksder wrote:

Bowen had a second-round tender placed on him, which might change based on the new CBA - if not he might cost

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Younger is what Shanny wants and cheaper is the route they should take, depleting a rival is a bonus. Going younger means guys still not at their peak, and going cheaper means the ability to bring in more free agents to compete for roster spots.

Yes, to all above

If we can't get Devin Joseph I'd settle for the Saints Carl Nicks if he's available, and the Jets David Harris if Burnett isn't signed.

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Sign: Carolina's Ryan Kalil, C

Yeah I missed that...

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Sign: Detroit's Turk McBride, DE

Then I'd go with Cullen Jenkins....

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Sign: New Orlean's Usama Young, or Baltimore's Josh Wilson, both play CB with local ties (hometown Discount???)

Usama might be a better #2 corner than anyone else on the Redskins roster AND can play safety, combined with Barnes (who looked good filling in at safety late last year) could free up a safety spot for another position

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Sign: Denver's Ryan Harris OT

Brown plays both left and right tackle, if he can't beat out Harris as the starting RT, then we still can be done with Stephon Heyer as the swing tackle

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Re-Sign: Rocky McIntosh ILB

He wants to re-sign here but if he leaves and Ryan Kerrigan can't play OLB what will they do? Zo was OK on the outside but if he were a option he wouldn't be trying to move inside, Riley and Henson are unknowns and Flecther won't be around for too many more years so we can't have to many ILB in camp

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Sign: Jacksonville's Trent Edwards, or Pittsburg's Dennis Dixon, both play QB

I actually want him to bring in Bulger but who knows what the Shannies will do

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Bringing in another WR and RB wouldn't hurt either.

They'll have the money to go after Rice but it may limit them in filling other holes, it really all boils down to what the final CBA looks like.

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:Young and Cheap could fill a lot of holes quick, with this group.

Again until they get a CBA we won't know how 2011 contracts will be structured to impact the new cap and spending floor. Regardless, the way Eric Shaffer works they can get them all

Thanks for your answers. I read about Nicks on one of the Saint's sites. The poll taken on the site said that Nicks was the Free Agent that they feared losing the most. He is 6'5" 343! That is a load! If he has the feet for ZBS. I would make him a priority!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:59 am

More younger alternatives to the more expensive, 30 year old, often injured Cullen Jenkins. All are Cowboys. One I mentioned in an earlier post.

Cullen Jenkins 2010 salary 30 years old - 6' 2" 305 pounds - $3.2

Marcus Spears 28 years old- 6' 4" 311 pounds - 2010 salary - $1.2 million
Stephen Bowen - 27 years old - 6' 5" 306 pounds - 2010 salary $1.8 (already offered a $1.9 million dollar tender, so it is clear the Cowboys want to keep him when the new CBA is completed).
Jason Hatcher -29 yrs old- 6" 6" 311 pounds - 2010 $1.8 million

Spears is the better run stuffer, but not very good as a pass rusher. Role would be to free up Orakpo or Kerrigan. Both Spears and the Bowen are better as pass rushers.
Jenkins is the complete DE. Clearly better but the last three seasons he has missed 17 games and is 3 years older than Bowen, who is reaching his prime.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7303 ... ensive-end

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:27 am

1niksder wrote:
Sign: Baltimore's Josh Wilson (hometown Discount???)

Pro Football Focus rates Josh Wilson higher than Jonathan Joseph, the media's 2nd favorite CB next to Asomugha.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20 ... ee-agents/

Postby 1niksder » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:48 pm

JLC has put out his list of free agents the Skins will sign

The Washington Redskins, who largely sat out the free-agent market in 2010, are prepared to make a splash this year, numerous sources familiar with the team's offseason plans said Tuesday.

Facing a serious lack of talent at crucial positions, the longtime NFC East doormats have put together a list of high-end free agents they want and will be very aggressive in pursuing them as soon as the NFL lockout is lifted, according to the sources.

Signing New York Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes reportedly is the primary objective of Redskins coach and chief decision maker Mike Shanahan. Guard Marshal Yanda, a player whom the Baltimore Ravens will vigorously fight to retain -- just as the Jets will make a concerted effort to retain Holmes -- also is coveted in Washington.

Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins and brother Kris, who's oft-injured but was very effective for the Jets when healthy, also are key targets for the Redskins, and league sources would be surprised if the team didn't land both, with competition for those two players not likely to be as steep as for Holmes and Yanda.

New York Giants defensive lineman Barry Cofield, despite being a 4-3 player to this point, also has been the subject of offseason planning by the Redskins, who operate a 3-4 defense.

The sources said the Redskins also will work hard to retain some of their own free agents, with wide receiver Santana Moss still in their plans, though it will be tricky to sign him and Holmes. Right tackle Jammal Brown, despite his checkered injury history, also remains in Washington's plans, and the team is optimistic about re-signing him.

Backup quarterback Rex Grossman will be re-signed (Shanahan remains dedicated to John Beck being his starter, team sources said); cornerback Phillip Buchanon will be pursued, given the woeful state of the team's corners; and the Redskins' staff has wavered on the merits of retaining linebacker Rocky McIntosh, who didn't fare well in 2010 evaluations and seemed ill-fitted to the team's scheme.

It all adds up to what could be a pivotal offseason for Shanahan, who already has fallen under scrutiny following clashes with top players and acute struggles on both offense and defense during his first season in Washington.

Team sources maintain that they can't foresee the Redskins keeping either quarterback Donovan McNabb or defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth. Receiving much for either in a trade will prove quite difficult given their contracts, and several team sources believe Shanahan ultimately will take anything he can for Haynesworth. The Redskins are particularly concerned that if they release Haynesworth, he will sign with the NFC East rival Philadelphia Eagles and reunite with his former Tennessee Titans position coach, Jim Washburn.

With trade options for McNabb limited, team sources expect Shanahan ultimately to release him. The Minnesota Vikings would be among the teams interested in the quarterback, league sources have said

Shanahan, who has a long history of offensive wizardry, is desperate for a playmaker, which makes Holmes so attractive (contrary to reports, the Redskins haven't spent much time discussing Holmes' Jets teammate, Braylon Edwards). The Redskins also are desperate for impact offensive lineman, and if they miss out on Yanda, they likely will target two other Ravens -- Chris Chester or Jared Gaither -- since Washington's offensive line coach, Chris Foerster, has ties to those players from his time in Baltimore.

The Redskins hope young left tackle Trent Williams will continue to develop and that either Will Montgomery or veteran Kory Lichtensteiger can compete with Casey Rabach at center, with Artis Hicks at one guard spot and Brown, if re-signed, at right tackle. Yanda would greatly improve the interior of the line opposite Hicks at guard, but again, adding him is a big if.

Washington's defensive line, which lacked the personnel to switch to the 3-4 last season, needs a makeover, and the team hopes to address it with quantity and quality, sources said.

The Jenkins brothers have ties to the Washington area, and both have been standouts in a 3-4. Nose tackle is a major issue for the Redskins, and Kris Jenkins, coming off another season-ending surgery, could be a bargain on the open market. Cullen Jenkins is a versatile 3-4 lineman who can play multiple positions and is a natural fit for Washington.

Cofield, though lacking experience in the 3-4 scheme, has been a regular topic of conversation at Redskins Park, and the team believes he could be a major upgrade. San Francisco 49ers defensive tackle Aubrayo Franklin also has been linked to the Redskins, but sources said he hasn't been a focal point.

Shanahan has been unwavering in his support of Beck, to the dismay of some in the organization who haven't seen anything to suggest the former Raven and Miami Dolphin can be a competitive starting quarterback. With the 2010 season lost, Shanahan chose to play Grossman over Beck, and some at Redskins Park wonder why Beck, if he was indeed the future, didn't receive the call in those meaningless games.

"He is set on Beck," said a source familiar with Shanahan's thinking. "That's his guy. He isn't just saying it for the media or to blow smoke. He's serious as hell about it."

Grossman, who has almost no other free-agent options, is nearly certain to re-sign with the Redskins on a cheap, short-term deal. Washington still needs a third quarterback, with Vince Young a possibility (he hasn't been the subject of much internal discussion at this point, according to sources).

The Redskins also know that at some point in the next six to nine months, they must sign star safety LaRon Landry to a long-term deal. He's entering the final year of his rookie contract

With Jason's track record we can assune.... :shock:

New York Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes won't be contacted by the Skins, Guard Marshal Yanda will resign with the Baltimore Ravens, New York Giants defensive lineman Barry Cofield will sign with a team that plays the 4-3, he says San Francisco 49ers defensive tackle Aubrayo Franklin hasn't been a focal point so he'll be one of the Skin's first signing and Vince Young like Holmes won't even be contacted.

The Jenkins brothers might work out as package as would Chris Chester or Jared Gaither

Whatever JLC writes is normally wrong when it comes to the Skins, so all guess work is over.

Take what Jason says and know it won't happen.

We must be getting close to a CBA :D
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:48 pm

JLC has put out his list of free agents the Skins will sign

The Washington Redskins, who largely sat out the free-agent market in 2010, are prepared to make a splash this year, numerous sources familiar with the team's offseason plans said Tuesday.

Facing a serious lack of talent at crucial positions, the longtime NFC East doormats have put together a list of high-end free agents they want and will be very aggressive in pursuing them as soon as the NFL lockout is lifted, according to the sources.

Signing New York Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes reportedly is the primary objective of Redskins coach and chief decision maker Mike Shanahan. Guard Marshal Yanda, a player whom the Baltimore Ravens will vigorously fight to retain -- just as the Jets will make a concerted effort to retain Holmes -- also is coveted in Washington.

Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins and brother Kris, who's oft-injured but was very effective for the Jets when healthy, also are key targets for the Redskins, and league sources would be surprised if the team didn't land both, with competition for those two players not likely to be as steep as for Holmes and Yanda.

New York Giants defensive lineman Barry Cofield, despite being a 4-3 player to this point, also has been the subject of offseason planning by the Redskins, who operate a 3-4 defense.

The sources said the Redskins also will work hard to retain some of their own free agents, with wide receiver Santana Moss still in their plans, though it will be tricky to sign him and Holmes. Right tackle Jammal Brown, despite his checkered injury history, also remains in Washington's plans, and the team is optimistic about re-signing him.

Backup quarterback Rex Grossman will be re-signed (Shanahan remains dedicated to John Beck being his starter, team sources said); cornerback Phillip Buchanon will be pursued, given the woeful state of the team's corners; and the Redskins' staff has wavered on the merits of retaining linebacker Rocky McIntosh, who didn't fare well in 2010 evaluations and seemed ill-fitted to the team's scheme.

It all adds up to what could be a pivotal offseason for Shanahan, who already has fallen under scrutiny following clashes with top players and acute struggles on both offense and defense during his first season in Washington.

Team sources maintain that they can't foresee the Redskins keeping either quarterback Donovan McNabb or defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth. Receiving much for either in a trade will prove quite difficult given their contracts, and several team sources believe Shanahan ultimately will take anything he can for Haynesworth. The Redskins are particularly concerned that if they release Haynesworth, he will sign with the NFC East rival Philadelphia Eagles and reunite with his former Tennessee Titans position coach, Jim Washburn.

With trade options for McNabb limited, team sources expect Shanahan ultimately to release him. The Minnesota Vikings would be among the teams interested in the quarterback, league sources have said

Shanahan, who has a long history of offensive wizardry, is desperate for a playmaker, which makes Holmes so attractive (contrary to reports, the Redskins haven't spent much time discussing Holmes' Jets teammate, Braylon Edwards). The Redskins also are desperate for impact offensive lineman, and if they miss out on Yanda, they likely will target two other Ravens -- Chris Chester or Jared Gaither -- since Washington's offensive line coach, Chris Foerster, has ties to those players from his time in Baltimore.

The Redskins hope young left tackle Trent Williams will continue to develop and that either Will Montgomery or veteran Kory Lichtensteiger can compete with Casey Rabach at center, with Artis Hicks at one guard spot and Brown, if re-signed, at right tackle. Yanda would greatly improve the interior of the line opposite Hicks at guard, but again, adding him is a big if.

Washington's defensive line, which lacked the personnel to switch to the 3-4 last season, needs a makeover, and the team hopes to address it with quantity and quality, sources said.

The Jenkins brothers have ties to the Washington area, and both have been standouts in a 3-4. Nose tackle is a major issue for the Redskins, and Kris Jenkins, coming off another season-ending surgery, could be a bargain on the open market. Cullen Jenkins is a versatile 3-4 lineman who can play multiple positions and is a natural fit for Washington.

Cofield, though lacking experience in the 3-4 scheme, has been a regular topic of conversation at Redskins Park, and the team believes he could be a major upgrade. San Francisco 49ers defensive tackle Aubrayo Franklin also has been linked to the Redskins, but sources said he hasn't been a focal point.

Shanahan has been unwavering in his support of Beck, to the dismay of some in the organization who haven't seen anything to suggest the former Raven and Miami Dolphin can be a competitive starting quarterback. With the 2010 season lost, Shanahan chose to play Grossman over Beck, and some at Redskins Park wonder why Beck, if he was indeed the future, didn't receive the call in those meaningless games.

"He is set on Beck," said a source familiar with Shanahan's thinking. "That's his guy. He isn't just saying it for the media or to blow smoke. He's serious as hell about it."

Grossman, who has almost no other free-agent options, is nearly certain to re-sign with the Redskins on a cheap, short-term deal. Washington still needs a third quarterback, with Vince Young a possibility (he hasn't been the subject of much internal discussion at this point, according to sources).

The Redskins also know that at some point in the next six to nine months, they must sign star safety LaRon Landry to a long-term deal. He's entering the final year of his rookie contract

With Jason's track record we can assune.... :shock:

New York Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes won't be contacted by the Skins, Guard Marshal Yanda will resign with the Baltimore Ravens, New York Giants defensive lineman Barry Cofield will sign with a team that plays the 4-3, he says San Francisco 49ers defensive tackle Aubrayo Franklin hasn't been a focal point so he'll be one of the Skin's first signing and Vince Young, like Holmes won't even be contacted.

The Jenkins brothers might work out as package as would Chris Chester or Jared Gaither

Whatever JLC writes is normally wrong when it comes to the Skins, so all guess work is over.

Take what Jason says and know it won't happen.

We must be getting close to a CBA :D
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Return to General Manager's Office