Kyle Orton waived - Possible Short Term Solution?

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

Kyle Orton waived - Possible Short Term Solution?

Postby RayNAustin » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:05 pm

Denver waived Kyle Orton - and the Redskins could pick him up from the waiver wire, at a cost of 2.5 Mill.

Even though that would be a waste of 2.5 Mill this year, remember, Orton originally beat out Grossman in Chicago for the starting job, and would provide veteran competition for next year's starter while a young QB is drafted and groomed. He's only 29, and he does have the ability to play at a respectable level.

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Did you even watch Orton play this year? I vote an emphatic no to acquiring him. A complete waste of time and energy.

DarthMonk

Re: Kyle Orton waived - Possible Short Term Solution?

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:33 pm

I say we:

1) Acquire him.

2) Draft Griffin.

3) Release Grossman and Beck.

4) Start Griffin from Day 1.

I was actually thinking about this this morning and almost posted as much. I think Orton was due to become a free agent next year.

DarthMonk

RayNAustin wrote:Denver waived Kyle Orton - and the Redskins could pick him up from the waiver wire, at a cost of 2.5 Mill.

Even though that would be a waste of 2.5 Mill this year, remember, Orton originally beat out Grossman in Chicago for the starting job, and would provide veteran competition for next year's starter while a young QB is drafted and groomed. He's only 29, and he does have the ability to play at a respectable level.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:33 pm

aswas71788 wrote:Did you even watch Orton play this year? I vote an emphatic no to acquiring him. A complete waste of time and energy.

Beck played better?

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:58 pm

So, if you are coach and you pick him up, do you start him over Rex? At least Rex knows the system. Do you keep him here to teach a rookie QB pick we get next year? Didn't he turn the ball over a bunch of times?

I'm thinking he wouldn't want to mentor a rookie especially seeing how he got beat out by Tebow.

I don't really like this idea and that would just add to the list of QB mistakes that the Shan has made in just a year and a half.

Who knows? He might prove me wrong.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:12 pm

aswas71788 wrote:Did you even watch Orton play this year? I vote an emphatic no to acquiring him. A complete waste of time and energy.

His qb rating is higher than both Beck's and Grossman's.
Suck and Luck

swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:03 pm

I 2nd DarthMonk's post!....

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:26 pm

With Shanny staking his reputation on Grossman and Beck, it would be hard to believe that Mike would claim Orton. That move would clearly say that Mike has lost faith in Grossman or Beck or Both. Does anyone think that Shanny can get over his ego and make that move? I say no.

Would I like to see it? Yes. To trade for Orton in the offseason would have been too costly, but to get him for $2.5 million, why not? The combined salaries of Grossman, Beck and Orton would still be less than most of the starting QBs in the NFL.

After signing Orton, you have to stay with Grossman for the next couple of games ( At some point Bad Rex has got to show - the law of averages say so) and then get Orton in there in the last two to see what he can do. Kellen Clemens picked up enough of the O to look almost as good as Grossman in training camp, so it would be understandable that Orton could do it was well.

For me, Draft RGIII, sign Orton, let him and Grossman compete for the
# 2 job in the off season. Orton should win it easily since he doesn'tt make poor decisions like Rex and isn't a turnover machine. Meanwhile, Grossman has tutored RGIII from the draft through training camp. RG III should be ready to start day 1.

Hog

Postby SprintRightOption » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:39 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:

Of course it is, he is the Captain of Short Passers. If you thought Beck was good throwing to Roy Helu for a team record, then Orton is your guy. Besides, Chicago needs him back now that Cutler is out with a broken thumb. Why would he get paid $2.5 million? If he got cut he is owed nothing by a new team.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:47 pm

SprintRightOption wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:

Of course it is, he is the Captain of Short Passers. If you thought Beck was good throwing to Roy Helu for a team record, then Orton is your guy. Besides, Chicago needs him back now that Cutler is out with a broken thumb. Why would he get paid $2.5 million? If he got cut he is owed nothing by a new team.

The $2.5 million is the prorated salary that his new team would have to pick up.

Canes Skin

Re: Kyle Orton waived - Possible Short Term Solution?

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:06 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I say we:

1) Acquire him.

2) Draft Griffin.

3) Release Grossman and Beck.

4) Start Griffin from Day 1.

I was actually thinking about this this morning and almost posted as much. I think Orton was due to become a free agent next year.

DarthMonk

RayNAustin wrote:Denver waived Kyle Orton - and the Redskins could pick him up from the waiver wire, at a cost of 2.5 Mill.

I'd much rather have Landry Jones or Matt Barkley.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:09 pm

Moot. He'll be a Bear.

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:17 pm

If you look at career stats, and Orton's productivity in 2009-2010 in Denver, he's a better QB than either Grossman or Beck.

Beck needs to go ... this team does not need a 30 year old rookie with a 1/2 dozen games under his belt.

Bring in Orton, and give him half a season head start on next year, while we prepare to find a QB in the draft. That way he'll be ready to go in training camp, to take over until the rook is ready.

I think it's a no brainer ... which is why I doubt the Redskins will do it.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:41 pm

I think it is crazy to even think about bringing another mediocre QB into the mix. It just makes 3 at that point but ok. The more the merrier I guess. Why does it make sense to bring him in for a half a season?

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:18 pm

Not going to happen. Sorry guys.

Return to General Manager's Office