Kiper Mock 1.0

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
B-rad

Kiper Mock 1.0

Postby brad7686 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Has us taking Claiborne, CB from LSU, with Blackmon going to the Rams at 2 and RGIII going to Cleveland at 4.

That is obviously the worst case scenario with those two off the board and us forced to either take a tackle or go defense. We can't go defense in the first couple rounds. I don't care how good Claiborne is.

Hopefully the Rams take Kalil and the Vikes/Bucs go defense, or maybe the bucs take Richardson. We probly could trade with the Rams but it wouldn't be pretty. I really don't see any scenario where the Browns don't take RGIII.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Mel Kiper's First Mock Draft is up

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:15 pm

For what its worth:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft201 ... draft-year

Washington Redskins

Record: 5-11
* Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

While the "Honey Badger," Tyrann Mathieu, piled up the headlines at LSU, the best cornerback on the team was quietly dominant all season. Currently a top-five player on my Big Board, Claiborne is the top cornerback in the draft. He has good length at 6-foot-1 and is a physical player at more than 180 pounds. The Redskins will need help at corner headed into 2012, particularly in a division in which the Giants, Cowboys and Eagles have elite talent at wide receiver. While not quite the athlete, Claiborne is actually a better pure cover corner than Patrick Peterson, the No. 5 overall pick from last year.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not sure CB is my most pressing concern for this team right now.

goskins

Postby GoSkins » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:39 pm

If we don't get RG III then I think we trade down.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:00 pm

GoSkins wrote:If we don't get RG III then I think we trade down.

Easier said than done. IF the draft plays out as Kiper described, why would a team trade up with us? If the 2 qbs, Kalil, Blackmon and Richardson are gone, who would a team trade up to get? The draft is stacked with secondary players so there's really no need to draft up for a corner like Claiborne.
Suck and Luck

swine

Postby elprez19 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:35 pm

uh oh, time for everyone to freak out

FanFromAnnapolis

Re: Kiper Mock 1.0

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:05 pm

brad7686 wrote:Has us taking Claiborne, CB from LSU, with Blackmon going to the Rams at 2 and RGIII going to Cleveland at 4.

That is obviously the worst case scenario with those two off the board and us forced to either take a tackle or go defense. We can't go defense in the first couple rounds. I don't care how good Claiborne is.

Hopefully the Rams take Kalil and the Vikes/Bucs go defense, or maybe the bucs take Richardson. We probly could trade with the Rams but it wouldn't be pretty. I really don't see any scenario where the Browns don't take RGIII.

Ugh; that does sound like a worst case scenario. A pick at 6, we'd take any of 3 certain players, but all three are likely to be gone with few trading scenarios.

I think we just need to pay the price to move up and beat the Browns to it.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:11 pm

Most teams want to trade down. Only a few want to trade up, and you have to have a player on the board a team specifically wants and is afraid they'll lose. Sure, if we get the chance we'd do this, but that we'd get any sort of reasonable value for it isn't something you can plan for.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

goskins

Postby GoSkins » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:36 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:

Easier said than done. IF the draft plays out as Kiper described, why would a team trade up with us? If the 2 qbs, Kalil, Blackmon and Richardson are gone, who would a team trade up to get? The draft is stacked with secondary players so there's really no need to draft up for a corner like Claiborne.

I have no idea what the needs are of the other 26 teams behind us. If we can't get RG III I hope we load up on draft picks.

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:58 pm

brad7686 wrote:Has us taking Claiborne, CB from LSU, with Blackmon going to the Rams at 2 and RGIII going to Cleveland at 4.

Is Cleveland NOT happy with McCoy??? Why did they draft him so high???
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:12 am

tribeofjudah wrote:

Is Cleveland NOT happy with McCoy??? Why did they draft him so high???

I was wondering that too. How many QBs can you make top draft picks year after year, without losing your job as a GM?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:15 am

Irn-Bru wrote:

Ugh; that does sound like a worst case scenario. A pick at 6, we'd take any of 3 certain players, but all three are likely to be gone with few trading scenarios.

I think we just need to pay the price to move up and beat the Browns to it.

I agree. The only thing good about this is that it's Mel Kiper, and he's never right about these things, especially this far out. It won't pan out this way, guaranteed, but I think we still have to deal if we want RGIII.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:43 am

Deadskins wrote:I was wondering that too. How many QBs can you make top draft picks year after year, without losing your job as a GM?

I apologize for not having a link but I saw an article where their GM stated that they want to stick with Colt but bring in a veteran to push him.

I think they know that Colt isn't the only problem and putting another rookie in there is just not gonna cut it. They need a RB after this years fiasco. I think they'll take the top RB off the board. #shrug
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:05 am

Cleveland is the ONE thing that would prevent us from landing RG3.

McCoy may be safe as starter....?
Freeman can still improve, so they won't take a qb
Rams have a stud at qb

I do hope we make a push and run for Griff, but NOT sell the farm.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:28 am

Don't forget Miami moving up to take a QB. Henne is a FA after this season.

Hog

Postby Skeletor » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:08 am

If the Skins have to pay a king's ransom to move up, what would Miami have to pay?

I still think the best scenario for us is for Cleveland to sign Matt Flynn...

The board is still going to shake up a lot between now and the draft. Cam Newton, if I recall correctly, was a mid-round pick in Kiper's first mock last year... And Julio Jones shot up the boards after the combine as well...

Patience, grasshopper...

Return to General Manager's Office