Kiper has Skins taking Morris Claiborne in his first mock

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

Kiper has Skins taking Morris Claiborne in his first mock

Postby ArlingtonSkinsFan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:39 am

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -Vince Lombardi

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:53 am

Bleacher Report has Skins picking Michael Floyd.

Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

The Redskins will definitely look to trade up with the Rams to acquire the services of Robert Griffin III, but short of that they are in a sticky spot here. They can't logically justify spending the sixth overall pick on a quarterback like Nick Foles or Ryan Tannehill. Additionally, Trent Richardson is off the board.

I also don't see the Redskins going defense with their first-round pick when there are so many holes on the other side of the ball. This leads me to believe they will take the next-best skill position player in Michael Floyd.

The Notre Dame standout makes grown men look like little children on the outside. His physical ability is awe-inspiring and reminds me a great deal of Calvin Johnson. He can climb the ladder and has soft hands. One of the best parts of Floyd's game is that he already runs pro-ready routes, which will limit his transition to the next level.

If the first five picks play out like I suspect, there is no reason why the Redskins should pass up on Floyd unless they can find a trade partner lower in the first round or trade up for Griffin III.

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

JSPB22

Re: Kiper has Skins taking Morris Claiborne in his first moc

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:18 am

Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Re: Kiper has Skins taking Morris Claiborne in his first moc

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:51 am

Yes, the General Manager Forum is the place to talk about mock drafts. Please keep the discussion there, everyone.

Thank you.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Don't get to worked up abpit Mel Kipers Mock draft. He got only about 10% right last year.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:55 am

I wouldn't crush that pick, but we need starters at SS and FS more on D, but that is too early to take one of those. And of course on offense we need a WR (too early to take one at #6 - especially if Blackmon is gone), QB (too early to take a QB not named Luck or RG3), RT (or LT if we move TW to RT), LG ( a little early for OG, but I would be OK with it) and C (too early – and we have an adequate starter).

So it looks like the pick should be the best available OL, but the best defensive player (supposedly) wouldn’t be too bad.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:09 pm

I'm sorry I don't know what people see in Mongomery at the C position. I've heard a lot of people on hear say they're happy with his play and that he's above average. The guy, to me is a career back up and we better be looking to upgrade the C position this off season either in the draft or via FA.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:22 pm

PAPDOG67 wrote:I'm sorry I don't know what people see in Mongomery at the C position. I've heard a lot of people on hear say they're happy with his play and that he's above average. The guy, to me is a career back up and we better be looking to upgrade the C position this off season either in the draft or via FA.

I think he is adequate. We definitely could do better and we definitely could do worse.

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:27 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:Bleacher Report has Skins picking Michael Floyd.

The Redskins will definitely look to trade up with the Rams to acquire the services of Robert Griffin III, but short of that they are in a sticky spot here. They can't logically justify spending the sixth overall pick on a quarterback like Nick Foles or Ryan Tannehill. Additionally, Trent Richardson is off the board.

I also don't see the Redskins going defense with their first-round pick when there are so many holes on the other side of the ball. This leads me to believe they will take the next-best skill position player in Michael Floyd.

The Notre Dame standout makes grown men look like little children on the outside. His physical ability is awe-inspiring and reminds me a great deal of Calvin Johnson. He can climb the ladder and has soft hands. One of the best parts of Floyd's game is that he already runs pro-ready routes, which will limit his transition to the next level.

If the first five picks play out like I suspect, there is no reason why the Redskins should pass up on Floyd unless they can find a trade partner lower in the first round or trade up for Griffin III.

WAY too early to take a WR! Especially one not named Blackmon (too early for him too, but he will probably be gone).

AND it is definitely too early to take a WR with an alcohol abuse problem! A DUI and two under age drinking citations... WOW!

Hog

Postby die cowboys die » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:35 am

if we take a CB with the #6 or 7 pick or whatever it is, i'm done with the Redskins after 32 years of being a fan. give me a break.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:27 am

I could see Floyd jumping if he runs well at the combine. He's a huge target he just needs to prove he can separate. Even if he can't, he could have success just making plays on the ball and running good routes, i.e. Hakeem Nicks. Hopefully he can curtail the drinking.

That situation could get really interesting with people rising and falling, who we end up with if we stay at six. If Floyds in the equation, you have to weigh him against Riley Reiff, who looks like a pretty solid OT, and Claiborne. I'm sure others will sneak into the equation as well. I wouldn't be surprised if WR is addressed in FA just because it's a good year for them. And this draft seems to have some line depth.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:04 am

brad7686 wrote:

I could see Floyd jumping if he runs well at the combine. He's a huge target he just needs to prove he can separate. Even if he can't, he could have success just making plays on the ball and running good routes, i.e. Hakeem Nicks. Hopefully he can curtail the drinking.

That situation could get really interesting with people rising and falling, who we end up with if we stay at six. If Floyds in the equation, you have to weigh him against Riley Reiff, who looks like a pretty solid OT, and Claiborne. I'm sure others will sneak into the equation as well. I wouldn't be surprised if WR is addressed in FA just because it's a good year for them. And this draft seems to have some line depth.

To me it is just too high for a WR, especially a WR that shows signs of being an alcoholic!

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:48 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
brad7686 wrote:

To me it is just too high for a WR, especially a WR that shows signs of being an alcoholic!

I know what you're saying, historically there's a pattern of busting, however lately it seems you can't get a good receiver unless they're a top ten pick. I'm not really sure Floyd will be worth a top ten pick, he'll have to impress to get to that point.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:12 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
PAPDOG67 wrote:I'm sorry I don't know what people see in Mongomery at the C position. I've heard a lot of people on hear say they're happy with his play and that he's above average. The guy, to me is a career back up and we better be looking to upgrade the C position this off season either in the draft or via FA.

I think he is adequate. We definitely could do better and we definitely could do worse.
Yup. While an upgrade would be nice, it's certainly far from being a priority. Montgomery is doing an adequate job, and has certainly exceeded expectations.

Sometimes, good enough is just good enough... (see Jeff Bostic)
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:13 am

I just don't see this FO taking a WR or RB with a top 10 pick
We are not exactly a player or two away from having the luxury of fine tuning - which is what those positions are

I really think that we'll see these guys trade down - there are teams that will want a player badly enough at the #6 spot
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Return to General Manager's Office