Is Griffin's 2015 Contract Guaranteed?

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

Is Griffin's 2015 Contract Guaranteed?

Postby OldSchool » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:36 am

I am interested in learning about what is possible contractually and permissible under rookie contracts and the salary cap not another thread about Griffin's value, we have enough discussion threads on that topic. I read in an article that Griffin is scheduled to make 7 million next year is that contract guaranteed and count towards the cap unless he is traded? If the Skins decided they didn't want to start Griffin next year and would rather use the 7M on defensive backs or other needs could the Skins release Griffin and free up 7M of salary cap if they couldn't make a trade?

Once again I'm not interested in discussing the merits of this approach I just want to get a better understanding about rookie contract guarantees and salary cap rules. Polite informed answers only please. Thank you.

DarthMonk

Re: Is Griffin's 2015 Contract Guaranteed?

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:40 pm

OldSchool wrote:I am interested in learning about what is possible contractually and permissible under rookie contracts and the salary cap not another thread about Griffin's value, we have enough discussion threads on that topic. I read in an article that Griffin is scheduled to make 7 million next year is that contract guaranteed and count towards the cap unless he is traded? If the Skins decided they didn't want to start Griffin next year and would rather use the 7M on defensive backs or other needs could the Skins release Griffin and free up 7M of salary cap if they couldn't make a trade?

Once again I'm not interested in discussing the merits of this approach I just want to get a better understanding about rookie contract guarantees and salary cap rules. Polite informed answers only please. Thank you.

I'm really not sure but I think we'd take the hit for the salary and a fraction of the bonus.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

||||||

Re: Is Griffin's 2015 Contract Guaranteed?

Postby EA7649 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:44 pm

OKAY I did some research, I wasn't completely paying attention because I was listening to baseball in the background. But I think it wouldn't affect the cap space. I have a few links and steps.

1) But, to answer your question, Roberts rookie contract is under the "Total Rookie Compensation Pool", which I found from this link: http://salarycap101.net/

2) Than I went to another link http://overthecap.com/explaining-the-nf ... alary-cap/ and saw this this, "The “Rookie Pool” is a cap within the salary cap. It is essentially money that your team needs to place aside for your rookies. It is not added to your salary cap at all." I wasn't 100% sure, thinking that writer was referring to just the 1st year rookies as he was talking about Alex Smith etc.

3) So I went to this link http://russellstreetreport.com/cap-faqs/ ""Cap within a Cap” because while it operates as a cap on what teams can spend on their rookies, it does not have a dollar for dollar impact on the team’s overall Salary Cap. Because of this, when you hear that a team has a $4.5M “Rookie Cap”, that doesn’t mean that the team needs $4.5M in overall Salary Cap space. "

4) Lastly, the previous link led me to this for further explanation http://russellstreetreport.com/An-Expla ... ally-Work/
"The Rookie Cap is not a separate, distinct pool, but rather, a separate calculation and there is not a dollar-for-dollar correlation between the Rookie Cap and the overall Cap. So, while all of the Salary Cap numbers of a team’s draft picks must fit under the team’s Rookie Salary Cap, very rarely will all of that amount actually impact the team’s overall Salary Cap."
"For Salary Cap purposes, the bonus received by the player is prorated over the four years of the deal and that prorated amount is added to the base salary to create the player’s Cap number."
Even though, this is referring to players who aren't good enough to make the team and get cut I guess it could work for exceptional players no argument aside "As such, under the Rule of 51, those players’ base salaries of $420K will not count against the teams overall Salary Cap and only the player’s bonus proration will count toward the team’s overall Cap."

In one of the links it showed that a player can be under this rookie compensation pool for his whole career and gives the minimum for each year. And I'd assume he would never affect a teams cap space.

Feel free to do some research and comment if I missed anything!

Return to General Manager's Office