Capitals 5, Canadiens 4 / Post: Friday, February 1, 2008

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
Skins History Buff

Capitals 5, Canadiens 4 / Post: Friday, February 1, 2008

Postby welch » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:24 am

Coach Boudreau says of Ovechkin, "Don't get him angry". Of course, it's always special when the Caps beat Montreal...something about the two Canadian teams of the Old Six.

Ovechkin Has Nose for Net
Winger Scores 4 Goals, Including OT Winner, Despite Early Injury : Capitals 5, Canadiens 4

By Tarik El-Bashir
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, February 1, 2008; E01

Alex Ovechkin's night began with him lying face down on the ice after being whacked unintentionally across the face by Alex Kovalev's stick, a blow that opened a wound on the inside of his cheek.

It ended with the Washington Capitals all-star sitting atop the NHL in points for the first time in his stellar three-season career after scoring four goals, including the winner in overtime, to lift the Capitals to 5-4 victory at Verizon Center and strengthen his candidacy for the Hart Trophy, given to the league's MVP.

Along the way, his nose was also broken by Francis Bouillon's shoulder check, and an errant puck left him bleeding on the inside of his lower lip.

"Today was special day," said Ovechkin, who has scored three or more goals four times in his career, but not at home until last night's scintillating performance. "I broke my nose, I have stitches, I score four goals. Everything go to my face. It's the fifth time I broke my nose. It's okay."

Ovechkin, who also had an assist, moved into sole possession of the NHL scoring lead with 70 points, two more than Ottawa's Daniel Alfredsson and Tampa Bay's Vinny Lecavalier. The 22-year-old Russian, who signed the league's wealthiest contract -- a 13-year, $124 million deal three weeks ago -- also leads the league in goals with 43, five more than Atlanta's Ilya Kovalchuk.

"He's an amazing person," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "Don't get him angry."

For the rest, see:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03922.html

While Snyder waffles, I'm beginning to remember why I like hockey...

Return to Washington Sports Teams