Capitals Playoff Watch

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:04 pm

They played a lot better this time, but it still just wasn't enough. While switching up the line combos seemed to help them a lot, in the end it's what killed them (hence the two penalties for too many men on the ice).

Huet was amazing tonight.

It's funny how much better he plays when the refs aren't letting a Philly player hold him down on the ice.

I thought that if you touched the goalie while he's in the crease, that was an interference minor unless you had the puck. Did they change the rules on me, or am I just wrong? 'Cause it always seems like Huet's got a forward from the other team in there trying to wear his pads.

All in all, it was a good game...just an unfortunate ending.

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:09 am

That bogus penalty to Viktor Kozlov seemed to kill the Caps momentum.

The Caps are, for the most part a very young and inexperienced playoff team. I'm hoping they can make a good show for the next two games and gain valuable playoff experience.

Lesson #1. You have to elevate your game in the playoffs. Every experienced team does.

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:10 pm

Good first period, hope we can keep up the pressure. Ovie is playing like a beast so far. I liked him dumping Richards? into the bench before the end of the first period.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:26 pm

GAME 7!!!! GAME 7!!!!!! LETS GO CAPS. LETS GO CAPS.
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:34 pm

I hate Versus.

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:36 pm

Maybe the WIzards should watch the Caps and see what playing with a little effort looks like.

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:04 pm

I never thought I would see the day when the national media gives props to Caps fans, but the guys on Versus could not stop talking about how much Cryers did not want to go back to DC because of the hostile crowd.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:38 am

1. Alex Ovechkin, Washington: After going scoreless for four games and 250-plus minutes, Ovechkin awoke from his slumber with two third-period goals on Monday -- the former clinching the Capitals' 4-2 road win in Philly; the latter serving as a warning shot to those who should scoff at Ovechkin carrying Washington to its second-ever Game 7 playoff victory come Tuesday night.

3. Alexander Semin, Washington: Ovechkin, understandably, will grab the lion's share of headlines from the Caps' Game 6 win. But Semin, hardly a second-fiddle performer throughout the series, produced the game-tying goal late in the second period, deftly converting a rebound-save off Philly goalie John Erskine :shock: into his third score of the playoffs. Roughly nine minutes before, he helped Washington get off the scoring schnide, care of Nicklas Backstrom's goal that cut the Flyers' once-comfortable lead in half.

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/182087

I didn't know Erskine was so talented, playing both defense for the Caps and tending goal for the Flyers.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:37 am

Per GSPODS:
Maybe the WIzards should watch the Caps and see what playing with a little effort looks like.

Are you suggesting that the Wizards can't win by merely running their yaps???? Who knew? :wink:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:12 am

Countertrey wrote:Per GSPODS:

Are you suggesting that the Wizards can't win by merely running their yaps???? Who knew? :wink:

ahem

Fios wrote:the Wizards have go to learn to SHUT UP. That's just stupid, regular LeBron is already tough, motivated LeBron is as close to unstoppable as we have in today's NBA. I'd be buying some muzzles if I were Eddie Jordan.

Of course, as a Cavs fan, I fully support anything the Wizards can do to keep LeBron focused
RIP Sean Taylor

piggie

Postby Secondary_Chaos » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:21 am

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!!!! Ovechkin is one baaadddd mofo. I think the Caps are gonna be a force to be reckoned with for years to come. Especially if they can resign Huet. They have a great core of young, very talented guys. And they don't have dumb mofos like DeShawn Stevenson. So that helps.
RIP #21

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:38 pm

OT lets go CAPSSSS!!!!!
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:48 pm

Okay, so obviously, I really don't understand what "interference" is in the NHL.

I thought "interference" was hitting another player when neither of you have, or are about to recieve, the puck.

I certainly thought, that shoving a defender into the goalie, thus knocking both the goalie and the defender out of the crease would somehow be classified as "interference". I guess I was wrong.

Apparently, 18,000 fans felt the same way I did, so I guess we were all wrong. Sure the refs let a few things slide here and there, but they made damn sure they made the "right call" when it really mattered. It was such a perfect call that there was no need for review, and y'know, thank god for that, 'cuz the last thing we need are for these refs to start second guessing themselves. I mean, it was great to see the refs call the game tight both ways...for the Flyers, or against the Caps.

Ah well, it was a good run, and fun while it lasted. The Caps have shown they have the skills. They can play any team straight up. Now they just need to learn how to cheat and get away with it (a.k.a. "playoff hockey").

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:57 pm

If you remember the last Tampa Bay game, one of our players pushed one of the Lightning into the goalie and the goalie didn't have time to recover. It was ruled "incidental contact" and the goal was disallowed. Tonight's "incidental contact" was surely more blatent than the Tampa Bay one, and basically cost the Caps the victory. They still had the opportunity to win and didn't. Refs blow calls. You've got to be able to win regardless.

Oh well, it was still a spectacular season, just sucks that it ended that way.
Last edited by JansenFan on Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:22 am

I'm proud of the Caps.
They had to stand on their heads just to make the playoffs. They could have easily given up on themselves after being down 3 games to 1. The Caps showed a lot of heart and a lot of promise.

Next year, the Caps won't have to stand on their heads to make the playoffs. And now their very young team has playoff experience and knows to turn the intensity up in the playoffs.

Good Season, Caps =D>

Return to Washington Sports Teams