Capitals Playoff Watch

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:38 am

Thursday's a great chance to move us within striking distance of Boston.

The ending of game against Boston two weeks ago still ticks me off. If we had taken care of business and Brash did not start slashing and punching, we would be in the 8th spot.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:05 am

Sir_Monk wrote:
Thursday's a great chance to move us within striking distance of Boston.

The ending of game against Boston two weeks ago still ticks me off. If we had taken care of business and Brash did not start slashing and punching, we would be in the 8th spot.

The penalty was bull. 6 minutes? Gimme a break. That slash was not worth a double minor, and the ref was standing right there when the guy shoved Brash. Brash should've gotten a double minor at most (one for slashing, one for roughing) but they should've called the "glass-jaw" for instigating at least (if not "diving", like they called on Alex in that game).

The refs doled out 10 minutes in penalties in the last 6 minutes of the game. The next two penalties against us were "cheapies" putting us down 2 men in the waning minutes.

It's seems like it's always that way against us. Last night there were a lot of "missed calls" by the refs. I don't mind that, as long as it's equal. No harm, no foul, let 'em play. Unfortunately, it seems like the other teams seem to get away with more spectacular "shoulda-beens" while we get nailed for the slightest infractions.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:29 am

NC43Hog wrote:
Steve Spurrier III wrote:we took two points from a red-hot team on the road,

actually just one.

We took two, we just gave them one for their trouble. ;-)
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

----------

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:17 pm

In the bad news department, it looks like the Capitals don't hold tiebreakers over anybody, save the out-of-reach Devils and Senators. We can gain the tiebreaker over Florida with two regulation wins, but we'll need to not just catch, but surpass Carolina, Philadelphia or Boston.
I'm bored, I'm broke, and I'm back.

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:47 pm

JansenFan wrote:
NC43Hog wrote:
Steve Spurrier III wrote:we took two points from a red-hot team on the road,

actually just one.

We took two, we just gave them one for their trouble. ;-)

I thought it was the other way around.Image
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:07 pm

FLASH WITH THE GAME WINNER! to bad the Leafs let us down a second time in a week.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:54 am

Code: Select all
SE    GP W  L OT Pts GF  GA  Home    Away    L10
Hurricanes  77 41 30 6  88 234 236 22-12-4 19-18-2 8-1-1
Capitals      78 39 31 8  86 228 228 20-15-3 19-16-5 7-3-0

Eastern Conference
Rank GP W L OT Pts
1 Pittsburgh Penguins*   78 45  26   7      97 
         2 Montréal Canadiens*   77 43  24   10    96 
         3 Carolina Hurricanes*   77 41  30   6      88 
         4 Ottawa Senators         78 42  28   8      92 
         5 New Jersey Devils       77 42  28   7      91 
         6 New York Rangers       77 40  26   11    91 
         7 Boston Bruins             77 39  28   10    88 
         8 Philadelphia Flyers      77 39  28   10    88 
         9 Washington Capitals    78 39  31   8     86 
       10 Buffalo Sabres            77 36  30   11    83

The Caps are trying their level best to catch the division-leading Hurricanes. Having won seven of their last eight games, the Caps now sit only two points back in the division standings. Unfortunately, the competition, in the form of the Hurricanes, Bruins, Flyers, and Sabres each have both a game-in-hand and a tie-breaker advantage over the Caps.

The Caps next opponent is the Florida Panthers, on Saturday. Although the Panthers currently sit in 11th place in the Eastern Conference, five standings points behind the Capitals, they have played well as of late, with a 7-2-1 record over their last 10 games.

The Hurricanes play the struggling Atlanta Thrashers tonight in a SouthEast divisional matchup. The Caps would certainly benefit from a Thrashers victory to eliminate the game-in-hand advantage Carolina currently holds.

The Montreal Canadiens also battle the Buffalo Sabres this evening, and although Montreal has locked up a playoff berth, they have not yet clinched the Northeast division. Buffalo currently sits three standings points behind the Caps, with a game-in-hand. Montreal could eliminate the Sabres game-in-hand advantage with a victory tonight.

Other action to watch for: People like me who write long-winded, and often confusing posts and have no idea how SSIII arranges his stats in such well-lined columns. 8-[

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:29 am

It's looking awfully dark for the Caps. Atlanta needs to beat Carolina in regulation, and then we need to beat them in regulation. Otherwise, someone else will have to beat them.

So in essence Carloina needs to lose twice in regulation, at least once to us.

-or-

Boston needs to lose 3 (since they have the tie breaker and a game in hand)

-or-

Philly needs to lose 3 (since they have the tie breaker and a game in hand)

And we have to win out. We cannot lose any of our remaining games.

It's not impossible, but it is improbable.

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:43 am

It is looking like a tough road to hoe, but we could have said the same thing about the Redskins last season, following the Buffalo game. Like then, I'm not expecting a miracle but we certainly can't say the Caps will miss the playoffs for lack of effort.

----------

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:38 pm

Yeah, it's getting real tight. If we don't make that comeback, we could pretty much go ahead and close this thread. Even with the win, I don't know if it's going to be enough. Remember, we don't hold the tiebreaker over Carolina, Philadelphia or Boston. That's one thing the Redskins had going for them.

Friday, March 28

Yesterday's Relevant Results:

Capitals 4 Lightning 3 (OT)
Bruins 4 Maple Leafs 2

Standings going in:

# Team           Pts  GR

1 Penguins (A)    97   4 - clinched playoffs
 2 Canadians (N)   96   5 - clinched playoffs
 3 Hurricanes (S)  88   5 - magic number: 6
 4 Senators        92   4 - magic number: 2
 5 Devils          91   5 - magic number: 3
 6 Rangers         91   5 - magic number: 3
 7 Flyers          88   5 - magic number: 6
 8 Bruins          88   5 - magic number: 6
--------------------------
 9 CAPITALS        86   4 - elimination number: 6
10 Sabres          83   5 - elimination number: 6
11 Panthers        81   4 - elimination number: 2

Today's Relevant Games:

Thrashers at Hurricanes; 7:00
Flyers at Devils; 7:00
Canadians at Sabres; 7:30

If the Capitals win out, either Carolina, Philadelphia or Boston are going to have to give up five points in their last five games - two regulation losses and an overtime loss. That's a tall order, but at least we have three different chances.

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:51 pm

Steve Spurrier III wrote:Yeah, it's getting real tight. If we don't make that comeback, we could pretty much go ahead and close this thread. Even with the win, I don't know if it's going to be enough. Remember, we don't hold the tiebreaker over Carolina, Philadelphia or Boston. That's one thing the Redskins had going for them.

At least one of those three teams is going to collapse. At least one team backs its way out of the playoff picture every season. The Caps have to get those last four wins and eight standing points. If they handle their own business, they'll be in the playoffs.

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:03 am

Saturday, March 29

Yesterday's Relevant Results:

Devils defeat Flyers 5-4, SO
Hurricanes defeat Thrashers 7-1
Canadiens defeat Sabres 4 - 3, OT

Standings going in:

# Team           Pts  GR

1 Penguins (A)    98   4 - clinched playoffs
 2 Canadians (N)   97   4 - clinched playoffs
 3 Hurricanes (S)  90   4 - magic number: 5
 4 Devils          93   4 - magic number: 2
 5 Senators        92   4 - magic number: 3
 6 Rangers         91   5 - magic number: 4
 7 Flyers          89   4 - magic number: 6
 8 Bruins          88   5 - magic number: 7
--------------------------
 9 CAPITALS        86   4 - elimination number: 6
10 Sabres          84   4 - elimination number: 6
11 Panthers        81   4 - elimination number: 2

Today's Relevant Games:

Senators @ Bruins 1:00 PM ET
Flyers @ Islanders 7:00 PM ET
Capitals @Panthers 7:00 PM ET
Hurricanes @ Lightning 7:30 PM ET

----------

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:10 pm

Boston keeps winning - boo.

Also, I was mistaken with the tiebreakers. The second tiebreakers is the head-to-head points - the first is wins. So while we still won't have it over Carolina, we could (and probably would, as best as I can figure) have it over Philadelphia and Boston. That's big.

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:29 pm

FINAL
Washington 3
Florida 0

Cristobal Huet picked up his fourth shut out of the season as the Capitals blanked the Panthers 3-0 on Saturday night.

Huet managed to kick away all 32 shots that he faced from the Panthers to pick up his 29th victory of the season. Huet now is a proud owner of a 29-14-6 record in 49 appearances this season. Since joining the Capitals at the trade deadline this season, Huet has a 2.03 goals against average and a .922 save percentage with the Caps in nine contests prior to tonight's matchup with the Panthers. Huet is a great start for the final week of the fantasy hockey season as the Caps will be fighting for their playoff lives for all their remaining games. Huet will be become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season, so it'll be interesting to see what the Capitals elect to do with Huet. Olaf Kolzig is also an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. Huet's salary of $2.75 million seems to be a smarter choice than Kolzig's $5.45 million, especially with Kolzig turning 38 next week.

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:46 am

Tampa beat the Whalers last night, which pulls us two points behind them before the big game on Tuesday!

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Return to Washington Sports Teams