Caps Today

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:43 pm

MDSKINSFAN wrote:
Bob 0119 wrote:
JansenFan wrote:My question is this. With Brashear suspended and John Erskine out, who pummels that beyotch next game? Matt Bradley's not afraid to fight, but the last time he fought it didn't work out too well for his face. Semin is 1-0 in fights, but I'm not sure a slap fight would send the right message. Maybe its time for Ovie's fighting debut, although I had hoped he would throttle Sid the Baby for his first one.

I would pay real money to see Alex go after Sadly Crieslikababy (I believe that's the phoenetic Canadian pronounciation of Crosby, much like Roy is pronounce Wah)

I expect Alex will either go after him, or that guy who cross checked Varly.

I wouldn't count Jurcina or Poti out of the fisticuffs. They may not fight often, but you never know.

Someone needs to knock the guy out who hit Varly. The NHL needs to be consistent with their suspensions. Brash gets suspended pretty much a whole series but guys don't get suspended for that cross check and there was a late hit in the Wings-Ducks series just like Brash's and the guy didn't even get a game or a fine. If Ovi does get in a fight I want it to be with Crosby. Crosby thinks he can fight now because he won 2 cheap ones this year by sucker punching and pulling a guy down by the head on a face off. He needs to fight a real fighter straight up to see what happens when you don't fight like a sissy.

If someone tries to "take out Crosby" the league will fine and suspend them the likes of which we have never seen.

They will protect their "golden boy" and make Brash's suspension look like a breeze in comparison.

The only reason Brash got six games was because the Rangers had already been complining about all kinds of other things that the league needed to do something to shut them up.

It's a sissy way to go (constantly whining about things to the league office) but it was effective.

The league doesn't want to completely eliminate "big hits" any more than they do fighting. It's the blood that draws a crowd. It's like wrecks in NASCAR.

If the league really wanted to put an end to it, then yes, everyone would get a suspension to match Brash's. If they really wanted to stop fighting, it would be an automatic two-game suspension along with a game misconduct, and major penalty.

They don't want that, they really just wanted to show New York that they weren't taking sides in ignoring all of their other trivial complaints.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Wed May 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Remember the good ol' days, when teams just stuck up for their own instead of whining and crying about it to the league?
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:55 pm

JansenFan wrote:Remember the good ol' days, when teams just stuck up for their own instead of whining and crying about it to the league?

Yeah, and when players didn't complain to the refs about the fans tossing hats out onto the ice during a "hat trick!"

Yeah, it would appear those days are gone...
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

cappster

Postby Cappster » Wed May 06, 2009 6:50 pm

So far so good tonight. Ever since I started watching Caps playoff hockey I have been hooked. I now have a home team that is finally showing they have what it takes to possibly win a championship. Take it to the penguin cap man and make cappster a happy guy.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Wed May 06, 2009 7:26 pm

Not related to this game but I heard on The Junkies this morning that the Caps only sell tickets to the home games ONLY to people with VA, MD, or DC area codes.

If it's PA or somewhere else out of the area, they're not allowed to buy any.

Snyder.... take another note!!!!!
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed May 06, 2009 7:56 pm

Someone wanna tell the refs they CAN call penalties on BOTH teams.

How do you let two guys tackle the goalie and hold him down with no penalty, but call that same goalie for one when he gets up?

1-1; here's hoping Ovie burn Fleury for the game winner!

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:22 pm

Six straight penalties.

Is that home cooking I smell?

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:31 pm

BACKSTROM!!!!!!!!

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:36 pm

Caps finally get a Power Play and make the Pens pay with the PPG!

Here we go. Playoff OT's don't end until someone scores.

There is no shootout, first goal wins no matter how long it takes!

LETS GO CAPS!!!!!

cappster

Postby Cappster » Wed May 06, 2009 9:14 pm

The defense didn't look too good tonight. There were too many shots on goal and the one that sealed the deal is the kind that kill ya. Varlamov is a freakish type of goalie and I don't blame him for the loss tonight. The Caps didn't play enough D and I thought that the passing was rather poor. Then again I am a newcomer and don't know much about hockey.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Wed May 06, 2009 9:23 pm

Ugh... this bites. I'm not surprised they lost this one. The Penguins are very good.

I'm just surprised they were so outworked in overtime. It looked liked they didn't want it as bad and they didn't pressure Fleury at all. They need to win the next two or else I see a repeat of series one happening, this time favoring the Penguins.

They are too good to just let up on and give any room to breathe.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Wed May 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Jake wrote:Ugh... this bites. I'm not surprised they lost this one. The Penguins are very good.

I'm just surprised they were so outworked in overtime. It looked liked they didn't want it as bad and they didn't pressure Fleury at all. They need to win the next two or else I see a repeat of series one happening, this time favoring the Penguins.

They are too good to just let up on and give any room to breathe.

Penguins were the better team tonight, especially in overtime. They certainly played with a lot more desperation than the Caps, that's for sure.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Thu May 07, 2009 5:53 am

After the first half of the first period the Pens beat our boys down. The fact that it even made it to over time is a testament to just how damn good Simeon Varlamov is. I know he's only 9 playoff and 5 regular season NHL games into his career, but we better give that man an Ovie contract some time before his current contract expires (I believe that is after next season).

Unfortunately, the Caps have had trouble with physical teams that were aggressive on the forecheck all season. That's why they couldn't beat the Sharks, the Kings or the Blue Jackets this season. I hope they figure it out by Friday.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu May 07, 2009 6:40 am

Probably being the most superstitious (sp) guy on the board, after the game I was soooooooo angry that I chopped off the beard. Dag gone it man.. so with the beard our Caps went 6-4.. now I don't have it so let's see how the next 10 games go.. hopefully we'll have 10 more games to go :?
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:16 am

Backstrom delivers – With Washington facing a one-goal deficit in the final two minutes of regulation last night, Nicklas Backstrom picked the perfect time for his first goal of the playoffs. The skilled center has played very well – he is second in the NHL in assists with 10 – but hadn’t found the back of the net after scoring 22 goals in the regular season. In fact, Washington holds a 2-1 series lead against the Pittsburgh Penguins despite the fact that Backstrom’s goal was the first in the series by one of the team’s four 20-goal scorers not named Alex Ovechkin. That’s a testament to Ovechkin’s effort and bodes well for Washington if it can get some more timely goals from its other elite players moving forward.

Hershey Bears Update

Washington’s AHL affiliate lost a 3-2 overtime game, just like the parent club, last night to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins but still leads the series 2-1. Game 4 is tomorrow in Wilkes-Barre .

Return to Washington Sports Teams