Caps Today

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Thu May 07, 2009 10:28 am

Man, that sucked. The defense wasn't very good last night. They allowed what 42 or 43 shots on goal. Varly made 39 or 40 saves. Thats incredible. Those are numbers you expect to see with a SO. The defense let him down last night. We couldn't get the puck away from the Pens. They were in our zone all night. The penalties are what really killed us though.

But we are still up. Hopefully we can go out there tomorrow night and go up 3-1. We can't rest on a series lead. We showed everyone what can happen if a team does. I expect to see a much better defensive game next game. Bruce can't be too happy with the way they played out there.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Thu May 07, 2009 10:46 am

I blogged about my thoughts following the game. There's some interesting historical tidbits in there, if you're interested to read them.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Hog

Postby TincoSkin » Thu May 07, 2009 11:29 am

caps and Bs both getting losses doesnt help my fantasy of a caps Bs championship game...

all i want is to laugh at my co-workers after the caps sweep them
GIBBS FOR LIFE

Hey hey hey, go Greenway!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu May 07, 2009 12:31 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:Probably being the most superstitious (sp) guy on the board, after the game I was soooooooo angry that I chopped off the beard. Dag gone it man.. so with the beard our Caps went 6-4.. now I don't have it so let's see how the next 10 games go.. hopefully we'll have 10 more games to go :?

I understand being superstitious. What I don't get is how you can figure the beard has anything to do with it at 6-4. :shock:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu May 07, 2009 12:56 pm

Deadskins wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:Probably being the most superstitious (sp) guy on the board, after the game I was soooooooo angry that I chopped off the beard. Dag gone it man.. so with the beard our Caps went 6-4.. now I don't have it so let's see how the next 10 games go.. hopefully we'll have 10 more games to go :?

I understand being superstitious. What I don't get is how you can figure the beard has anything to do with it at 6-4. :shock:

:lol: being that it was my first time I've ever grown the beard out for NHL playoffs. I started from game 1 and finally ended it last night. I did the math properly right? 4-3 w/rangers and 2-1 w/pencils.. So I chopped it off after the game and me being me going forward (assuming we win), I'll say "we won cause I chopped it off".. :lol:

Don't forget bro, i'm the dude who says new uniforms for our Skins will help.. :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Thu May 07, 2009 1:54 pm

I'm glad BB gave the Caps the day off, they just looked tired out there for most of the game. Even worse, it looked like whenever the Caps got their feet under them, like at the start of OT, they would take a stupid penalty and completely run out of steam. Though I think if Backstrom had not missed on that open net wrap around early on, it would have broken their back.

I really hope John Erskine and Fehr are back for Friday. We really missed Erskines physical play on D last night, and Nylander just looks out of his element playing on the 4th line. If Fehr is not able to play, I hope Caps bring up a guy like Bourque or Aucoin, and provide some energy for the 4th line.

Oh well, all they can do is bring their A game for Friday!

GOOOOOOOO CAPS!
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:54 am

Less is Sometimes More—After outshooting the Rangers in six of seven games during the Eastern Conference quarterfinals, the Capitals have now been outshot by the Penguins in all three games of the Eastern Conference semifinals 114 to 82. More shots at the net haven’t necessarily equaled more goals for the Caps—they averaged 37.3 shots the first four games of the playoffs while only registering eight goals (including one four-goal game). In contrast, over the last six games they have averaged 24.8 shots and recorded 20 goals (including one five-goal game and two four-goal games). During those first four games they posted a record of 1-3 and have since posted a record of 5-1 and a 3-1 record when being outshot.

Hershey Bears Update

Washington’s AHL affiliate will face the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins for Game 4 of their series at 7 p.m. tonight in Wilkes-Barre . The Bears currently lead the series 2-1.

Note of the Night

8's stage – Alex Ovechkin has scored goals in each game of this series and six of the last seven games overall (eight goals in that time). He has a hand in six of Washington 's nine goals in the series and 13 points in 10 games in the playoffs. He ranks first in the league in shots, second in hits and tied for second in plus/minus (rankings entering Thursday's games). He has had multiple-point games in eight of the 17 playoff games he has played in his career and has points in eight of the 10 games this year.

Five More Notes No Media Person Should Be Without

About face – Washington leads the NHL with a 54.2% success rate on faceoffs, including 56% in Game 3. David Steckel has won 58.1% to lead all Capitals and rank fifth in the NHL. Sergei Fedorov (53.2%) and Nicklas Backstrom (52.0%) are also in the top 20 (rankings entering Thursday's games).

About time – The Capitals scored in the first two minutes and the last two minutes of regulation in Game 3.

Nick at night – Nicklas Backstrom has a team-best six-game point-scoring streak entering Game 4, including his first goal of the playoffs that sent Game 3 into overtime. Backstrom ranks second in the NHL in assists (10; ranking entering Thursday's games) and is just three assists shy of the Capitals single-season playoff record for assists (Andrei Nikolishin, 13, 1998).

Caps Record, Assists in a Playoff Season

13 Andrei Nikolishin, 1998

11 Adam Oates, 1998

Mike Ridley, 1992

Scott Stevens, 1988

10 Nicklas Backstrom, 2009

Two others

Power supply – Nicklas Backstrom became the seventh Capital to score a power-play goal in these playoffs with his Game 3 tally. Only Alex Ovechkin (3) has more than one power-play goal.

You go first – The team that scored the first goal has lost each game of this series.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Fri May 08, 2009 7:17 pm

These calls are getting silly. If someone gets hits and responds, we get called, if one of their guys gets hits we go in the box. For what its worth and this might be the beer talking, Gonchar is hurt because the NHL step up to protect our players.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Fri May 08, 2009 7:30 pm

MIKE GREEN!!!!! 3-2, we are back in this one!

Fire Bruce Boudreau

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri May 08, 2009 10:22 pm

Ouch. I think the team was improved from Wednesday's match, but they need to compose themselves again or else this series will slip out of control.

Glad to be out of Pittsburgh, though. Maybe we'll get a changeup with the refs. :(
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:57 pm

So a kid in Pittsburgh goes on a Penguins message board and makes death threats against Alex Ovechkin.

The cops go to the 17 yr old's house but do not arrest him.

Further proof that no one from Pittsburgh gets penalized for anything.

Anyone else see that quote from Gonchar's agent? What a load of crap. Ovie wasn't trying to hurt him, it was an accident.

Whatsamatter Gonchar, you couldn't get your mommy to whine to the press for you?

God I hate Pittsburgh...

LET'S GO CAPS!!!
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

cappster

Postby Cappster » Sat May 09, 2009 6:52 pm

Bob 0119 wrote:So a kid in Pittsburgh goes on a Penguins message board and makes death threats against Alex Ovechkin.

The cops go to the 17 yr old's house but do not arrest him.

Further proof that no one from Pittsburgh gets penalized for anything.

Anyone else see that quote from Gonchar's agent? What a load of crap. Ovie wasn't trying to hurt him, it was an accident.

Whatsamatter Gonchar, you couldn't get your mommy to whine to the press for you?

God I hate Pittsburgh...

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Ditto. Outside of Dallas, I hate Pitts-burgh the most.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sat May 09, 2009 9:07 pm

Well that was a really crappy way to lose a playoff game...

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Sat May 09, 2009 10:20 pm

PulpExposure wrote:Well that was a really crappy way to lose a playoff game...

naaah brother, if you have followed this team long enough that one was simply "typical," you can change the arena, change the sweaters heck even change the players yet somehow they mange to rip the souls out of their fans in the big spot. It was a feeling I thought I almost forgot, even with some of the stinkers the Redskins have thrown up in the past few years.

Sometimes rooting for the Caps is like rooting for the titanic not to sink.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sun May 10, 2009 8:47 am

I don't know if I had been embarassed to be a DC sports fan in my life before last night. If I hadn't been... it all changed following the overtime goal.

Fans threw beer bottles, water bottles, hats, pom poms, and anything else they could find as far as they could. A lot of it went on the rink and bounced around and could have hurt some players and anyone else around.

I saw a cameraman at rink level get doused with beer because some idiot tried to throw it from 20+ rows back.

Yes, the refs may or may not have made some horrible calls. Yes, it was a horrible way to end the game to a rival.

But to act like that only makes the night worse.

This isn't Cleveland or Philly. To all the people who felt the need to throw a hissy fit like that last night: GROW UP AND DON'T EMBARASS THIS CITY LIKE THAT ANYMORE!
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Return to Washington Sports Teams