Caps Today

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Sun May 10, 2009 9:12 am

PulpExposure wrote:Well that was a really crappy way to lose a playoff game...

It really was. All series I have been trashing Mike Green and Jurcina for playing terrible defense and last night all Poti was trying to do was play good defense and break up the pass and it deflects past Varly.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Sun May 10, 2009 10:36 am

Jake wrote:This isn't Cleveland or Philly. To all the people who felt the need to throw a hissy fit like that last night: GROW UP AND DON'T EMBARASS THIS CITY LIKE THAT ANYMORE!

What has Cleveland done to rate a mention there? I've been to plenty of Cleveland games in my life, the fans there are passionate but they are -- for the most part -- a class act, just like in DC.
RIP Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Sun May 10, 2009 1:29 pm

Jake wrote:I don't know if I had been embarassed to be a DC sports fan in my life before last night. If I hadn't been... it all changed following the overtime goal.

Fans threw beer bottles, water bottles, hats, pom poms, and anything else they could find as far as they could. A lot of it went on the rink and bounced around and could have hurt some players and anyone else around.

I saw a cameraman at rink level get doused with beer because some idiot tried to throw it from 20+ rows back.

Yes, the refs may or may not have made some horrible calls. Yes, it was a horrible way to end the game to a rival.

But to act like that only makes the night worse.

This isn't Cleveland or Philly. To all the people who felt the need to throw a hissy fit like that last night: GROW UP AND DON'T EMBARASS THIS CITY LIKE THAT ANYMORE!

:(

I could see that starting up as the VS telecast was wrapping up. As the popularity of this team has gone up, so has the bonehead fans that seem to attend games.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sun May 10, 2009 3:38 pm

Fios wrote:
Jake wrote:This isn't Cleveland or Philly. To all the people who felt the need to throw a hissy fit like that last night: GROW UP AND DON'T EMBARASS THIS CITY LIKE THAT ANYMORE!

What has Cleveland done to rate a mention there? I've been to plenty of Cleveland games in my life, the fans there are passionate but they are -- for the most part -- a class act, just like in DC.

Browns vs. Jaguars - several years ago.. refs make a bad call and beer bottles come flying from EVERYWHERE. How can you forget that?

Not everything in Cleveland revolves around the Indians, sippy boy. :lol:
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon May 11, 2009 7:39 am

I was pissed at Poti, but watching the replays, if he doesn't touch the puck, it goes right to Crosby with the whole net to shoot at. Maybe Varly makes another great save, but probably Crosby scores.

If we don't quit letting the Penguins skate all the way to the net without touching them and letting Crosby stand next to the goal for minutes at a time without touching him, we don't deserve to win.

Won good thing to note, we've got the Caps playing the Pens, and the Bears playing the Baby Pens (insert Crosby joke here). The Caps and Bears won games 1 and 2, the Pens and Baby Pens won games 3, 4 and 5. The Bears won game 6 last night, so the Caps should win tonight. Then we'll have to hope like hell the Bears win tomorrow.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Mon May 11, 2009 9:41 am

JansenFan wrote:I was pissed at Poti, but watching the replays, if he doesn't touch the puck, it goes right to Crosby with the whole net to shoot at. Maybe Varly makes another great save, but probably Crosby scores.

Yep, totally true. Two things this series has reinforced for me; (1) the need for a defensemen, a real defense-oriented guy, to push people out of the crease; and (2) Varlamov is spectacular but holy god, the rebounds. Either he needs to get better rebound control, or his defensemen need to be more aware and clear the rebounds away.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon May 11, 2009 10:02 am

Varly's definitely had trouble controlling the rebounds, and the Penguins seemed to have discovered a slight weakness top-shelf glove-side, but he's 21. I can live with those for now. I thought coming into this year the Caps were about 2 years from really being Cup contenders, and that's plenty of time for Dave Prior to address those areas. Unfortunately, the lack of real playoff toughness (or at least the inability to match the Pens toughness, because none of the Capitals ever skate halfway into the offensive zone without being touched) makes it a) harder to control the rebounds because there's always a guys in front of the net and b) makes it way too easy to set up the cross-ice pass to the open side of the net, something that has accounted for what seems like 80% of the goals the Penguins have scored in the series.

The good thing is that the Caps have not played even close to the way they can play in this series and they've won twice and have played in OT two of the three losses with real good chances to put them away early in both. The Caps are a rare Ovie fan at an open net, and another fan by Steckel on Saturday from having won the series 4-1. The bounces have to go our way in one game at least.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:29 am

If there's anything to be excited about tonight (at least IMO) it's the return of "The Donald."

I made my case in blog form here

Here's a taste...

Brashear played a total of four games out of seven versus New York. In the three games that he didn’t play, the Caps went 1-2 and the combined scores for both teams was 6-5 Rangers. During the four games he did play the Caps went 3-1 and the combined score for both teams was 14-5 Capitals.

“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:31 am

Playing on the edge – The Capitals have been here before. Last year, they trailed Philadelphia 3-1 in a best-of-seven series before forcing a Game 7 with two straight wins. They were in the same situation this year in the first round against the New York Rangers and then won the next three games to advance to the second round. Now, after two overtime losses, they trail Pittsburgh 3-2 and face the Pens on their home ice tonight. A win would force Game 7 in Washington on Wednesday and a loss would mean the season is over. Under Bruce Boudreau the Capitals are 5-1 in elimination games, including 3-0 this year. Disregarding shootout losses, the Capitals have never lost four straight games under Boudreau.

Hershey Bears Update

Washington’s AHL affiliate will face the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins for Game 7 of their series on Tuesday at 7 p.m. tonight in Hershey. The series is currently tied 3-3.

Note of the Night

8 is No. 1 – Alex Ovechkin's two-goal, one-assist effort in Game 5 gave him the NHL lead in points (17), goals (10) and plus/minus (+8) entering Sunday's games. His point total matches the best in Capitals history (in three fewer games than anyone else). Ovechkin has points in each game of this series and goals in seven of the last nine games overall (10 goals in that time). He has a hand in 10 of Washington 's 15 goals in the series and has points in nine of the 12 games this year. He has had multiple-point games in nine of the 19 playoff games he has played in his career.

Caps Record, Points in a Playoff Season

17 Alex Ovechkin, 2009 (10g-7a in 12 GP)

Joe Juneau, 1998 (7g-10a in 21 GP)

Adam Oates, 1998 (6g-11a in 21 GP)

John Druce, 1990 (14g-3a in 15 GP)

Five More Notes No Media Person Should Be Without

Recent history – Washington is 6-1 in the last two seasons when facing a win-or-go-home game (including the final game of the 2007-08 regular season). This is the third series in a row in which Washington has faced elimination before the seventh game; the Capitals have forced a Game 7 in the previous two series, winning last round against the Rangers.

Ancient history – Washington is seeking to beat Pittsburgh in a playoff series for just the second time in eight attempts. In three of the previous series that the Penguins have won the Capitals held a two-game series lead at some point (either 2-0 or 3-1).

Nick of time – Nicklas Backstrom has established a Capitals playoff record with points in seven eight games, including goals in each of the last three games. Backstrom ranks second in the NHL in assists (11) and is just two assists shy of the Capitals single-season playoff record for assists (Andrei Nikolishin, 13, 1998); he is tied for fourth in the NHL in points (14).

Caps Record, Consecutive Playoff Games with a Point

8 Nicklas Backstrom, 4/24/09 to 5/8/09 vs. NYR, PIT

7 Geoff Courtnall, 4/13/90 to 4/27/90 vs. NJ, NYR

Caps Record, Assists in a Playoff Season

13 Andrei Nikolishin, 1998

11 Nicklas Backstrom, 2009

Adam Oates, 1998

Mike Ridley, 1992

Scott Stevens, 1988

Close calls – All six of Washington 's playoff losses have come by one or two goals; Game 4 of the series in Pittsburgh (a 5-3 loss) was the only multiple-goal loss for the Capitals.

For the record – Washington is 9-9 all-time in Game 6, 6-6 when it is played on the road and 4-6 when facing elimination. The Capitals are 1-4 against Pittsburgh in Game 6.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon May 11, 2009 12:24 pm

Jake has pointed out to me that Brashear may not play.

Brashear Is Eligible To Play, but May Not

Tarik El-Bashir, Capitals Insider for the Washington Post wrote:
Monday, May 11, 2009

Only two Washington Capitals practiced yesterday (in warmups, no pads): Brooks Laich and enforcer Donald Brashear, who served the final night of his six-game suspension for a hit on the Rangers' Blair Betts in the first round.

Brashear posted yesterday to his Twitter account: "just arrive in Pittsburg for game tomorrow. Suspension is over, hoping to b in the line up for the game."

But it doesn't sound like Coach Bruce Boudreau is in a hurry to put Brashear back in the lineup with Washington facing elimination against the Penguins tonight in Pittsburgh.

"It would be pretty tough at this point," Boudreau said.

Bruce hasn't ruled him out, and does have him in Pitt. I think it would be a huge mistake if he doesn't play.

I'm thinking this is just Bruce playing things close to the vest and not wanting to give the Pens anything to prepare for.

We'll see.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon May 11, 2009 1:18 pm

Dear Coach Boudreau,
We need Brash, and we should see if the Hansen Bros are available. William the Refrigerator Perry on skates, too. He doesn't have to skate. He can do like he did on the goal line. Just fall on the guy in front of the net.

What's Mike Williams doing tonight?
RIP 21

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:57 pm

JansenFan wrote:Dear Coach Boudreau,
We need Brash, and we should see if the Hansen Bros are available. William the Refrigerator Perry on skates, too. He doesn't have to skate. He can do like he did on the goal line. Just fall on the guy in front of the net.

I was talking about this with Jen last night and we agreed that Brash may not win the game by himself, but with how closely matched up the teams were on Saturday, he might be just the difference between winning in regulation and losing in OT.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon May 11, 2009 2:11 pm

I get angry when I see people just park in front of our net, or worse, when someone punches Varly in the face or cross checks him in the neck, and no one sticks up for him. It happened to Huet last year. We have a lot of skill guys, but we need tough guys, too. When Brash and Erskine were both out, we were missing that toughness that you have to have in play-off hockey. Don't get me wrong. We have other tough guys on the team, just not enough.
RIP 21

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Mon May 11, 2009 3:21 pm

JansenFan wrote:Dear Coach Boudreau,

How about Ogie Ogilthorpe?
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon May 11, 2009 4:13 pm

If Boudreau can work his connections to get the Hansen's and Ogie, that would be some old-time hockey!
RIP 21

Return to Washington Sports Teams