Caps Today

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:00 pm

MDSKINSFAN wrote:
Jose looked great last night. Since that Rangers game I think he really has clicked and is playing really well. And with him playing well and with the offense that they have on most nights, I have very high hopes for this team. By the way, that was a great move and shot by Kozlov in the SO to win. I really wish Ovie could get on track with the SO. You would think someone with that much skill it would be easy for him to beat a goalie one on one.

I think Ovie's problem is that he needs to have someone (or many someones) all over him to be able to get the score. He just can't do the same when he's all alone, but when he's dancing around a defenseman, look out, that's when he's the most dangerous.

I just think he doesn't know how to dance when he doesn't have a partner.

A friend of mine was the same way. He'd score goals that would make you wonder how the heck he managed to pull that off (three guys on him, one holding his arm, another blocking his stick and it'd go in), but would always choke on the breakaway.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:41 pm

Bob 0119 wrote:
MDSKINSFAN wrote:
Jose looked great last night. Since that Rangers game I think he really has clicked and is playing really well. And with him playing well and with the offense that they have on most nights, I have very high hopes for this team. By the way, that was a great move and shot by Kozlov in the SO to win. I really wish Ovie could get on track with the SO. You would think someone with that much skill it would be easy for him to beat a goalie one on one.

I think Ovie's problem is that he needs to have someone (or many someones) all over him to be able to get the score. He just can't do the same when he's all alone, but when he's dancing around a defenseman, look out, that's when he's the most dangerous.

A friend of mine was the same way. He'd score goals that would make you wonder how the heck he managed to pull that off (three guys on him, one holding his arm, another blocking his stick and it'd go in), but would always choke on the breakaway.

It seems tho that when hes on the breakaway in the game Ovie's great, like he feeds off the intensity and speed of the game. I think it is what you said that he needs people around him and maybe he over thinks putting the puck in the net in a SO while he just goes on instincts in the heat of a game
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:09 am

1/8/09

Today’s Storyline

Starry, starry day
– The remaining 15 spots on the Eastern Conference All-Star team will be announced at noon today, and the Capitals have three quality candidates. Alex Ovechkin is bidding to make his third All-Star appearance and figures to be a shoe-in, as the reigning league MVP shares the NHL lead in goals and ranks second in points. Nicklas Backstrom and Mike Green are candidates to be summoned for their first All-Star appearances (both has appeared in an NHL YoungStars game). Only six Eastern Conference players have more points than Backstrom, while Green leads all NHL defensemen with 0.93 points per game. The Capitals could also have a representative behind the bench for the NHL All-Star Game Jan. 25 in Montreal : a win in either Friday or Saturday’s game would assure the team of the second-best winning percentage in the East at the end of the week, which would give Bruce Boudreau an assistant coaching spot for the Eastern team.

Injury Update

Brian Pothier – Out indefinitely

John Erskine – Out at least a week

Sergei Fedorov – May play versus Columbus

Tom Poti – Day-to-day

Tomas Fleischmann – May play versus Columbus
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:23 am

MDSKINSFAN wrote:
Bob 0119 wrote:
MDSKINSFAN wrote:

It seems tho that when hes on the breakaway in the game Ovie's great, like he feeds off the intensity and speed of the game. I think it is what you said that he needs people around him and maybe he over thinks putting the puck in the net in a SO while he just goes on instincts in the heat of a game

My own personal opinion on this is that in the game, Ovie doesn't really have time to think about and the Goalie doesn't have time to prepare.

Ovie steals the puck and he's on the break away. The first thing that happens is that Goalie say the f-word as number 8 is barreling in on him. Also, Ovie is keeping an eye on the defense, and skating as hard as he can to make sure no one catches him. He doesn't really think about scoring until he gets in close, at which point its mostly instinct.

On a shoot-out, the goalie gets a drink of Gatorade, stretches his legs a bit and slowly gets down in his stance. Ovie picks up the puck at the center stripe and skates in, either down the middle or bubbles out to the left. The goaltender casually comes out of the net to cut down the angles to the net. He slowly backs in mirroring Ovie's move. Ovie has been planning to take it to the forehand, draw it back to the back end and try to pop it up over the goaltenders shoulder since the end of regulation. The goaltender knows he's got the right side covered and Ovie has to try to go over his right shoulder to score.

To me, its a much different scenario, and someone who plays on speed, intensity, emotion and intimidation is going to be much better in that kind of situation in the middle of a match than skating in alone.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:55 am

1/9/09

Today’s Storyline

It’s been awhile
—The Capitals face the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight for the second time this season. It is the Blue Jackets first trip to the Verizon Center since Oct. 5, 2005, which was also the date of Alex Ovechkin’s NHL debut. In that game Ovechkin scored twice, once at even strength and one on the power play, to lead Washington to a 3-2 victory. The Blue Jackets are led by the strong play of rookie netminder Steve Mason, who leads the league in save percentage (.934) and goals against average (1.82) in 23 games, including a shutout of the Capitals during their visit to Columbus earlier this season.

Note of the Night

Going streaking
– Washington enters tonight's game looking to keep several streaks alive. Going into the game, the Caps have:

– Won seven in a row, the longest current streak in the NHL. With another win they would match the second-longest winning streak in club history, trailing only 10 straight wins in 1983-84.

Longest Winning Streaks, Caps History

10 games 1/27/84 to 2/18/84

8 games 3/9/89 to 3/26/89

2/25/86 to 3/11/86

7 games 12/23/08 to present

– Won nine in a row at home, also the longest current streak in the NHL. With another win they would match the franchise record for consecutive home wins (10, 1/4/00 to 2/23/00).

Longest Home Winning Streaks, Caps History

10 games 1/4/00 to 2/23/00

9 games 12/4/08 to present

– Had six straight home sellouts. Another Friday night would put the team just one shy of the franchise record for consecutive sellouts, eight, set in the last eight games of 1988-89.

Longest Home Sellout Streaks, Caps History

8 games 3/3/89 to 4/1/89

6 games 12/18/08 to present

Five More Notes No Media Person Should be Without

No way
– Goaltender Jose Theodore has a personal six-game winning streak and has held opponents to one or two goals in five straight starts. He also stopped all three shootout attempts he faced Tuesday night to get the win. Since the start of the second period of the New York Rangers game Dec. 23, he is 6-0-0 with a 1.40 goals-against average and a .948 save percentage.

Jose Theodore's Last Six Starts

12/23 at NYR W, 5-4 ot 4 GA 21 saves

12/26 vs. BUF W, 3-2 2 GA 22 saves

12/28 vs. TOR W, 4-1 1 GA 23 saves

12/30 at BUF W, 4-2 2 GA 31 saves

1/3 vs. NYR W, 2-1 1 GA 21 saves

1/6 vs. PHI W, 2-1 so 1 GA 33 saves

Star crossed – Alex Ovechkin received word Thursday that he will represent the Capitals for the third straight year in the NHL All-Star Game Jan. 25 in Montreal . Ovechkin ranks second in the league in points (53), tied for first in goals (27), first in shots (245) and has been named the league's First Star in November and Third Star in December. The news wasn't as good for the Capitals' other all-star candidates as Mike Green (the NHL leader in points per game by a defenseman), Nicklas Backstrom (the league's fifth-leading assist man and 10th-leading scorer) and Alexander Semin (who ranks second in the league in points per game) did not get an invitation.

Bench boss – With a win or an overtime loss tonight, head coach Bruce Boudreau would clinch a spot at the NHL All-Star Game as an assistant coach. It would be another honor in a remarkable 14 months that have seen Boudreau coach and win his first NHL game, win the Jack Adams Award as the NHL coach of the year, be named to the AHL Hall of Fame Class of 2009, reach 50 wins faster than any Caps coach in history and coach his 100th NHL game. If he were to coach in Montreal , he'd be behind the bench there on Jan. 25 and head to Worcester , Mass. , the next day for a luncheon where he would be inducted in the AHL Hall of Fame.

One-goal wonders – Washington has won seven one-goal games in a row, including four of the seven wins in its current winning streak. The Capitals had started the season 3-3-3 in one-goal games and are now 10-3-3.

Halfway home – Washington starts the second half of the season tonight with game No. 42 after posting the franchise's best record in the first half of a season. The Capitals' 57 points put them on pace for 114; the franchise record is 107 (1985-86).

Best Caps Records at Midseason

27-11-3 (.695) 2008-09

25-11-4 (.675) 1985-86

26-13-1 (.663) 1991-92

22-11-7 (.638) 1984-85

19-11-10 (.600) 1982-83

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:18 pm

OK...time for a new streak.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:24 am

We should always beat the Habs, just so RiC can't gloat.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:49 am

Today’s Storyline

Let’s not start a habit
— The Capitals have lost two games in a row for only the fourth time this season. Their longest winless streak is three games (Nov. 20-24). After loosing two in a row Washington has come back to score six goals (6-5 at Dallas on Oct. 25) and five goals (5-2 vs. New York Islanders on Dec. 4), while also scoring five goals (5-3 vs. Atlanta on Nov. 26) after their three-game losing streak. On the flip side the Capitals have had two five-game winning streaks and one seven-game winning streak. Last year Washington didn’t record a winning streak of five games or longer until March 21-April 5 (seven games), while the Capitals recorded their first four-game winning streak on Jan. 15-21.

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:17 am

Today’s Storyline

Back in form?
— Washington’s first two goals Saturday night came off the stick of Alexander Semin, the early-season NHL scoring leader whose pace had fallen off after he suffered an injury in mid-November. In fact, the two goals for Semin marked his first multiple-point game since the game prior to his injury, when he had a five-point night at Carolina . Semin had nine multiple-point games through the first 15 games of the season; he has missed 18 games since then but Saturday night was his most productive effort since he was first injured. Getting Semin back to form – on a line with two players already among the top 15 scorers in the NHL – adds a dangerous element to the Capitals’ offense.

Note of the Night

Depth in goals
– Not only do the Capitals boast the league's second-leading goal scorer in Alex Ovechkin, but they have five other players in double-figures in goals. No team in the league has more players with 10-plus goals, and only Philadelphia's Jeff Carter and Simon Gagne (47 goals) have combined for more goals than Alex Ovechkin and Alexander Semin (43).

Back on track
– Alexander Semin's two-goal game at Montreal marked his first multiple-point effort since Nov. 12 at Carolina , the game before he suffered an injury that forced him to miss 18 games. Semin had five points (two goals, three assists) in that game, his ninth multiple-point game in the first 15 games of the year. Semin has averaged a point per game (three goals, six assists) in the nine games since he first returned from injury.

Home run – The home team has won each of the last 13 meetings between the Capitals and Oilers. Washington has a six-game winning streak at home that dates back to the Capital Centre, while Edmonton has won seven in a row against the Capitals at home. Washington 's winning streak started Nov. 8, 1997, with Edmonton 's last road win against the Capitals coming Jan. 26, 1997. No player on either team played in that game, although tonight's referee Rob Shick called that game as well. Current Oliers president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe and TV analyst Louie DeBrusk played in the game (with LeBrusk earning 27 minutes of penalties, including a game misconduct, at 3:17 of the first period).

More home runs – Although Washington 's nine-game home winning streak was snapped by Columbus Friday night, the Capitals still own the Eastern Conference's best home record at 18-2-1. Their 18 home victories are already more than they had in any of the three seasons from 2003-07 and just five shy of last year's season total (23-15-3). The Capitals are 39-10-4 at home under head coach Bruce Boudreau.

Back-to-back – Tonight's game starts Washington 's second set of games on consecutive days in the last week; they have another next week. Washington is 5-2-0 in the first of back-to-back games and 2-4-1 in the second.

Small skid – Washington has lost consecutive games in regulation for just the fourth time this year, streaks that have spanned two, three, two and two games. Each prior time they have snapped out of the rut by scoring at least five goals. By contrast, Washington has enjoyed three separate winning streaks of at least five games this season.

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:51 am

Today’s Storyline

Caps vs. Pens, what else is there to know?
– It is always a big game when Washington and Pittsburgh get together and tonight is no exception. The Caps rallied from a three-goal deficit in Pittsburgh earlier this season to win the first of four meetings between the two clubs. Round two is tonight and Washington is looking for its third consecutive win at Mellon Arena, which is something they have not done since the mid 1980s (Washington won four straight in Pittsburgh from Jan. 16, 1985 to Nov. 20, 1985.) The Caps enter tonight’s game on a three-game losing skid, which ties their longest of the season. Washington has never lost four straight games with Bruce Boudreau as their coach.

Note of the Night

Get one early
– In three of Washington's last four losses, including last night, the Capitals have fired 25, 18 and 19 shots on goal in the first period but come away scoreless each time. They have outshot opponents by an average of 20.7 to 6.3 in the first period of those games but been outscored 4-0. Washington is 20-4-1 when scoring first and 18-2-1 when leading after the first period.

Green means go
– Washington defenseman Mike Green has back-to-back multiple-point games and 10 points (3g-7a) in the last eight games. Washington is 20-8-3 with Mike Green in the lineup and just 7-6-0 when the NHL's top points-per-game defenseman (0.97) was out with an injury. Green is among the NHL leaders in goals and points by a defenseman despite missing 13 games due to injury. His nine power-play goals lead the team and all NHL defensemen. Green has 21 points (7g-14a) in his last 18 games and ranked third among NHL defensemen in points in calendar year 2008 (61).

Got to be stopping something – Washington travels to Pittsburgh seeking to halt a three-game losing streak, which matches the team's longest of the season and its longest since losing five in a row prior to Bruce Boudreau 's appointment as head coach on Nov. 22, 2007.

Site survey – Washington returns to Pittsburgh tonight, where it has won back-to-back games including a dramatic comeback from a 3-0 deficit on Oct. 16. The last time the Caps won three or more in a row at Pittsburgh was a four-game stretch from Jan. 16, 1985, to Nov. 20, 1985.

In a Flash – Tomas Fleischmann has goals in back-to-back games, giving him a career-high 14 on the season in 35 games. He had 14 goals in 118 career games entering this year.

Division doings – Washington is 8-1-2 against the Atlantic Division this year after finishing last season 8-8-4 against the Atlantic . The Capitals have suffered eight of their 14 losses to Western Conference opponents, including a 1-3-0 mark against the Northwest Division.

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:40 pm

Today’s Storyline

Flash in the pan
—Capitals center Tomas Fleischmann has had an outstanding season, and one of his best games may have come in the 6-3 victory at Pittsburgh last night. Fleischmann recorded his third goal in three games and fourth in his last five, and added an assist. That brings his season total to 15 goals and sets a career-best goal-scoring streak. His goal total is one more than he had in his previous three seasons with the Capitals. Fleischmann’s goal was also the game-winner, his fourth of the season, double his career total..

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:50 pm

Big victory by small margin tonight: 2-1 over Boston. Semin scores key goal. This team gets better and better.

Hog

Postby ChocolateMilk » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:38 am

welch wrote:Big victory by small margin tonight: 2-1 over Boston. Semin scores key goal. This team gets better and better.
yeah i saw that, what a great win over NHL's best this year.. im getting more and more excited about them.
R.I.P. Sean Taylor

You will be missed, but never forgotten

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Can't wait to see what Ovechkin has up his sleeve tonight for the breakaway challenge.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:23 am

Back to work – Bruce Boudreau will be inducted into the AHL Hall of Fame at a luncheon today in Worcester , Mass. Boudreau, who won an AHL Calder Cup as a player and coach, will not have a lot of time to reflect on that honor as the Capitals have a 4 p.m. practice this evening in Boston to prepare for a matchup with the Bruins tomorrow night. Washington has been off the past five days, so today’s practice is critical to get back into a hockey mode and get the legs moving again. Even though the Caps have won three straight against the Eastern Conference-leading Bruins, their recent struggles in Boston have been well documented. Washington has not won in Boston since an overtime triumph on April 10, 2006 and that victory is the Caps only win in their last 10 games at TD Banknorth Garden.

Return to Washington Sports Teams