So...how about those Nats?

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:43 pm

Postby thedcnative » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:16 pm

The best defense in baseball has done it again!


Geez, this is getting crazy.
Yes, Virgina, you can be a "real fan" and protest against the front office.

The Punisher
Posts: 2593
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:34 am
Location: Manassas

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:21 am

So I gotta ask...

I don't really follow Baseball much, but this seems like it would be awfully bad luck in a league that holds superstition in such high regard...


Image


"Natinals?" seriously? Are they so bad that even they aren't watching?


Image


This was obviously spelled by the pride of the D.C. public school system, but you would think that someone would have caught this.

Do we call them the "Nats" because it's too hard to spell-out "Nationals?"

This has got to be a bad omen or something...
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:52 pm
Location: MD

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:29 am

Finally we bring up Zimmerman.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Canes Skin
Posts: 6673
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:05 pm

MDSKINSFAN wrote:Finally we bring up Zimmerman.


He looked really good last night. A lot of poise for someone making his first major league start.
Suck and Luck

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:52 pm
Location: MD

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:28 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
MDSKINSFAN wrote:Finally we bring up Zimmerman.


He looked really good last night. A lot of poise for someone making his first major league start.


He looked better than I expected for his 1st start. I thought he would have been on the major league roster from the season opener so I have been waiting for him. Hopefully with him and this Strassberg assuming we draft and actually sign him we can build a stronger rotation for the future.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:43 pm

Postby thedcnative » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:38 am

Zimmermann had a great outing a couple days ago. The Nats actually made a comeback yesterday and the bullpen was ABLE TO HOLD ON TO THE LEAD IN THE 9TH

What is this madness?
Yes, Virgina, you can be a "real fan" and protest against the front office.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1539
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:54 am
Location: St. Louis, Mo

Postby Sir_Monk » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:28 am

thedcnative wrote:Zimmermann had a great outing a couple days ago. The Nats actually made a comeback yesterday and the bullpen was ABLE TO HOLD ON TO THE LEAD IN THE 9TH

What is this madness?


Sounds like the start of the pennant race
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Canes Skin
Posts: 6673
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:23 am

MDSKINSFAN wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
MDSKINSFAN wrote:Finally we bring up Zimmerman.


He looked really good last night. A lot of poise for someone making his first major league start.


He looked better than I expected for his 1st start. I thought he would have been on the major league roster from the season opener so I have been waiting for him. Hopefully with him and this Strassberg assuming we draft and actually sign him we can build a stronger rotation for the future.


We HAVE to draft and sign Strasburg. The kid is a flat-out stud.

He is a junior at San Diego State University, and was 8-3, with a 1.57 earned run average and 133 strikeouts in 97.1 innings for the Aztecs last season. On April 11, 2008 he struck out 23 University of Utah batters.[1] He is known for his blazing fastball; which consistently reaches 101 MPH and his curveball which is usually between 86 and 88 MPH (typically a slider is the only breaking ball that reaches that speed). His slider has been clocked in the mid to late 90's as well.


SI.com's Jon Heyman has a new column up. In talking to club execs who have spoken with Scott Boras about Stephen Strasburg, Heyman believes Boras does have $50MM in mind. Boras allegedly likened Strasburg to fictional pitcher Sidd Finch, with the plan being to shatter previous draft pick bonuses by using Daisuke Matsuzaka's contract as a model. One Nationals person told Heyman, "We'll pay the $10 million, and we'll get him signed."
Suck and Luck

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:52 pm
Location: MD

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:04 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:
MDSKINSFAN wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
MDSKINSFAN wrote:Finally we bring up Zimmerman.


He looked really good last night. A lot of poise for someone making his first major league start.


He looked better than I expected for his 1st start. I thought he would have been on the major league roster from the season opener so I have been waiting for him. Hopefully with him and this Strassberg assuming we draft and actually sign him we can build a stronger rotation for the future.


We HAVE to draft and sign Strasburg. The kid is a flat-out stud.

He is a junior at San Diego State University, and was 8-3, with a 1.57 earned run average and 133 strikeouts in 97.1 innings for the Aztecs last season. On April 11, 2008 he struck out 23 University of Utah batters.[1] He is known for his blazing fastball; which consistently reaches 101 MPH and his curveball which is usually between 86 and 88 MPH (typically a slider is the only breaking ball that reaches that speed). His slider has been clocked in the mid to late 90's as well.


SI.com's Jon Heyman has a new column up. In talking to club execs who have spoken with Scott Boras about Stephen Strasburg, Heyman believes Boras does have $50MM in mind. Boras allegedly likened Strasburg to fictional pitcher Sidd Finch, with the plan being to shatter previous draft pick bonuses by using Daisuke Matsuzaka's contract as a model. One Nationals person told Heyman, "We'll pay the $10 million, and we'll get him signed."


I don't really have a doubt that we will draft him. The problem is signing his. Hopefully the part about the Nats paying the 10 mil is true. Someone on Baseball Tonight was saying that Boras might be demanding a big contract to prevent the Nats from drafting him so he can go to a different team. I hope that isn't true and if it is hopefully we draft him anyway and just pay the cash.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Skins History Buff
Posts: 4949
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:36 pm
Location: New York, NY

Postby welch » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:30 pm

I say, let 'em eat Crow.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1539
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:54 am
Location: St. Louis, Mo

Postby Sir_Monk » Fri May 01, 2009 6:50 pm

I can't wait for this series with the Cardnials to end. I got to work this morning and found 15 e-mails from co-workers making fun of the Nats..... :roll:
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:52 pm
Location: MD

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Fri May 01, 2009 7:01 pm

The Nats have actually been playing pretty well lately they just can't find ways to finish games.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Canes Skin
Posts: 6673
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon May 04, 2009 8:38 pm

Awesome news...now they just have to find a way to sign him.

The Washington Nationals are primed to select San Diego State star pitcher Stephen Strasburg with the No. 1 overall pick in next month's draft, sources said.

The Nationals will not be scared off by the high price tag expected to be set by the rightander Strasburg, which is believed to be $50 million-plus, a Nationals source said. Asked whether there was any chance they'd take someone else, a team official answered, "No chance I know of.''

Acting Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo wouldn't guarantee who he's taking, but said regarding Strasburg when reached by phone, "It's fair to say, going into it, he's the No. 1 player on our board.

"We can say it. There's not anybody who can jump ahead of us,'' Rizzo added. "He's an outstanding talent. He's got all the tools to be a great player.''

Rizzo wouldn't absolutely commit since the draft is a month away. But he did say, "As of now, he's the top guy.'' The Mariners and Padres pick second and third, behind Washington.

The Nationals remain one of basbeall's worst teams, but young pitchers Shairon Martis and Jordan Zimmerman are giving the Nats hope in their rotation. A Nationals official said "it would be nice'' for Strasburg to join the rotation by July. Strasburg is a rare collegiate pitcher seen as major-league ready.

Baseball executives say the dropoff between Strasburg and the next best players is stark. Dustin Ackley, a first baseman at North Carolina who's expected to play center field professionally, plus pitchers Alex White of North Carolina and Kyle Gibson of the University of Missouri, are considered the next best prospects available in the draft. This is not considered an especially deep draft.

Strasburg, a San Diego product, is considered among the best American amateur prospects ever, and is expected to top the previous highest signing bonuses for draft choices, which were in the $10 million range (Mark Prior is the record holder at $10.5 million, with Mark Teixeira second at $9.5 million).

Executives believe Strasburg, who is 10-0 with 147 strikeouts and 15 walks for San Diego State this season, will seek a six-year MLB deal for at least $50 million. He is being advised by Scott Boras, who is expected to try to draw a parallel between Strasburg and Daisuke Matsuzaka, who signed for $52 million over six years after the Red Sox paid a $51 million posting fee for his rights.

Nationals president Stan Kasten has said they will take the best available player, while always suggesting there's precedent for what the top draft choices get. By all indications, Strasburg hopes and expects to be a precedent-setting case. There may be extra pressure on the Nationals to sign their top pick as they failed to sign pitcher Aaron Crow, their No. 1 pick, last year. The Nats also have the No. 10 pick, which is compensation for that failure.


http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/05/03/nats.strasburg/index.html
Suck and Luck

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:52 pm
Location: MD

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Tue May 05, 2009 11:07 am



Sweet. I hope he is signed and in the rotation by July so we can get a look at what this rotation with Lannan, Zimmerman, Martis, and Strasburg will look like in the years to come.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:43 pm

Postby thedcnative » Sat May 09, 2009 10:31 pm

The Nats win again! We're in double digits as far as wins are concerned. We're not pennant contenders yet, but this is good.
Yes, Virgina, you can be a "real fan" and protest against the front office.

Return to Washington Sports Teams