2014 Nationals

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
JSPB22

Re: 2014 Nationals

Postby Deadskins » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:14 pm

welch wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
welch wrote:the Braves, the team with the racist tomahawk chant and chop.

[-X
Wow, I can't believe you went there.
That all started when Deion Sanders played for the team. Having played for the Florida State Seminoles, where the chant and chop were born, it followed him to the Braves.

I am tired of hearing about the Redskins' name when nobody notices "the chop" and the chant. Also dislike Filadelphia fans for their behavior (Eagles, Filles, Flyers) and Atlanta Braves fans for their arrogance, their "we are entitled to win" attitude.

Not really sure why it's "racist," but I've personally seen protesters at Braves' games, so don't say nobody notices. Actually, the protesters weren't just protesting the chop and chant, but the use of Indians as mascots in general. Also, I'm not sure where you get this "arrogance" thing. Like you with the Redskins, living through the '50s and '60s, I was a Braves fan through the '70s and '80s, so their 13 consecutive division titles starting in '91 were a total shift in the spectrum for me as a fan.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:33 am

16 games left. Magic number down to 8. If we go 7-9 the Braves have to go undefeated to deny us the division crown.

#nojinx
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Amazing... Nats are in the playoffs... and get the first No hitter by a Washington team since 1937... and no comments in this thread... weird...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:36 pm

Fear of the jinx? If we mention the no-hitter, then MLB will step in to declare that Steven Sousa did NOT make that astonishing catch?

Daughter and I went to Washington and saw the Friday night and Sunday afternoon games. If we had only held out for the Sunday game...For the history of it, here is a link through MLB.COM to the MASN broadcast of each out in the game...including the moment when Bob Carpenter's voice breaks as Sousa makes the catch.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/mlb ... mode=video

I looked up the other Washington no-hitters. Last one was August 8, 1931, by Bobby Burke. Someone like Shirley Povich said "Bobby Burke, who had a ten year tryout..." Burke never quite made it, although he played nine seasons with the Old Senators (or "Nationals"). Before that? Walter Johnson, himself, threw one on July 20, 1920, beating the Red Sox 1 - 0. The only Boston runner got aboard when Bucky Harris made an error. Harris ducked his head as he went to the Senators dugout, expecting Johnson to rip him for the error. Walter patted Bucky on the shoulder and said something like, "Errors are just part of the game".

Return to Washington Sports Teams