Sean Taylor Greatest Safety ever!

In memory of Sean Taylor. Please post all thoughts, well-wishes and prayers here.
Hog
Posts: 4716
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:20 am

Postby GSPODS » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:05 pm

Countertrey wrote:
NC43Hog wrote:Ken HOUSTON

For all you youngsters, here is maybe the greatest defense stop in Redskins history.

Houston tackle link

and the greatest game this 13 year old ever saw. Long time ago. :wink:

1972 NFC Championship Game



I'm still trying to figure out who Kenny Watson is... :hmm:


Kenny Watson was a backup running back for the Redskins a few years ago. I think he went to Cincy from Washington. I don't even know if he's still in the league.

the 'mudge
Posts: 14328
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:19 pm

GSPODS wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
NC43Hog wrote:Ken HOUSTON

For all you youngsters, here is maybe the greatest defense stop in Redskins history.

Houston tackle link

and the greatest game this 13 year old ever saw. Long time ago. :wink:

1972 NFC Championship Game


I'm still trying to figure out who Kenny Watson is... :hmm:


Kenny Watson was a backup running back for the Redskins a few years ago. I think he went to Cincy from Washington. I don't even know if he's still in the league.



The problem is, he was responding to a response from LPJ, about a comment I had made about Kenny Houston.

Gosh... lawyers... I thought you guys had some imagination...:wink:
Last edited by Countertrey on Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

the 'mudge
Posts: 14328
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:20 pm

New pc... double post...
Sorry, y'all
Last edited by Countertrey on Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
Posts: 4716
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:20 am

Postby GSPODS » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:24 pm

Countertrey wrote:
GSPODS wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
NC43Hog wrote:Ken HOUSTON

For all you youngsters, here is maybe the greatest defense stop in Redskins history.

Houston tackle link

and the greatest game this 13 year old ever saw. Long time ago. :wink:

1972 NFC Championship Game


I'm still trying to figure out who Kenny Watson is... :hmm:


Kenny Watson was a backup running back for the Redskins a few years ago. I think he went to Cincy from Washington. I don't even know if he's still in the league.



The problem is, he was responding to a comment I had made about Kenny Houston.

Gosh... lawyers... I thought you guys had some imagination...:wink:


The more money you have to spend, the more imagination I develop. :P

the 'mudge
Posts: 14328
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:28 pm

Better. You have restored my cynical faith... :up:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Site Admin
Posts: 9282
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:34 am
Location: London, Ontario

Postby BossHog » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:19 am

Just for the record... Kenny Watson still plays for the Bengals and is on pace for a career year. he has almost 500 yards and he has 5 TDs.

Sean Taylor was not the greatest safety ever. Unfortunately, given a few more years, he may have established himself as one of them.

My 2 cents
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

**LPJ**
Posts: 6329
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:11 am

Yea, I think we need to differentiate (sp) between Ken Houston and Kenny Watson. LOL

Watson was here with us and we cut him and he came in for the injured Rudi Johnson up in Cincy. He's a beast, I said that during the pre-season.

Ken Houston apparently was a GREAT safety a little before my time.

By the way, I was the one who said "Watson" but I meant "Houston".. #-o

**LPJ**
Posts: 6329
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:17 am

I just saw the youtube of Ken Houston.. OH MY GOODNESS!! What a tackle to stop that touchdown on the 1 yard line and did he really hit "Hill" so hard that he knocked off the guy's helmet??? Hill was trying to get up and couldn't.. WOW! That was sweet!

HTTR

the 'mudge
Posts: 14328
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:08 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:I just saw the youtube of Ken Houston.. OH MY GOODNESS!! What a tackle to stop that touchdown on the 1 yard line and did he really hit "Hill" so hard that he knocked off the guy's helmet??? Hill was trying to get up and couldn't.. WOW! That was sweet!

HTTR


That was Walt Garrison, not Hill. Garrison was one tough SOB... he was a rodeo cowboy as a hobby.

But, yeah... that was one AWESOME tackle. Imagine what it was like seeing it live. I'll just say, it was one of those rare moments.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 15881
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:23 pm

Countertrey wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:I just saw the youtube of Ken Houston.. OH MY GOODNESS!! What a tackle to stop that touchdown on the 1 yard line and did he really hit "Hill" so hard that he knocked off the guy's helmet??? Hill was trying to get up and couldn't.. WOW! That was sweet!

HTTR


That was Walt Garrison, not Hill. Garrison was one tough SOB... he was a rodeo cowboy as a hobby.

But, yeah... that was one AWESOME tackle. Imagine what it was like seeing it live. I'll just say, it was one of those rare moments.

He's talking about the hit on Hill that happened on the sidelines in another part of the video.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Skins History Buff
Posts: 4836
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:36 pm
Location: New York, NY

Postby welch » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:54 am

He's talking about the hit on Hill that happened on the sidelines in another part of the video.


Hit on Calvin Hill, all-pro, star fullback of the Cowboys. A big power runner...so Houston's hit was not on some little scat-back.

Incidentally, there has to be an "honorable mention" for the first man to play strong safety, George Allen's favorite, Richie Petibon...who played his last years under Allen in Washington. It was a royal succession: the great Petibon gave way to the great Houston.

Yes, I think Sean Taylor was heading toward becoming the best who ever played the position. He played with discipline last year, and intercepted passes this year that he'd have missed as a rookie.

the 'mudge
Posts: 14328
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:27 pm

welch wrote:
Incidentally, there has to be an "honorable mention" for the first man to play strong safety, George Allen's favorite, Richie Petibon...who played his last years under Allen in Washington. It was a royal succession: the great Petibon gave way to the great Houston.


Petibon, who is considered by many to be the prototype of the modern Strong Safety.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Greenville, NC

Postby sch1977 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:38 pm

I think a fair statement would be " He could have been the greatest", unfortunatley we will never know
Taylor and Landry will take no Prisoners!! - I just can't bring myself to delete it!

spudstr04
Posts: 4116
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:13 am
Location: NC

Postby spudstr04 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:16 pm

GSPODS wrote:Ronnie Lott
Steve Atwater
Alvin Walton
Dick Lane
Ken Houston
Paul Krause
Larry Wilson
Willie Wood

Should I continue?


Rod Woodson
#21 = Forever in our hearts

Hog
Posts: 4716
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:20 am

Postby GSPODS » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:20 pm

spudstr04 wrote:
GSPODS wrote:Ronnie Lott
Steve Atwater
Alvin Walton
Dick Lane
Ken Houston
Paul Krause
Larry Wilson
Willie Wood

Should I continue?


Rod Woodson


Woodson spent part of his career as a cornerback but I still wouldn't argue him being included.

Return to Sean Taylor Tribute