'The Game'

We figure that the Olympics are of interest to just about all sports fans and being that we have Redskin fans all over the globe, why not give them a forum to sound off in about their favorite, or least favorite Olympic athletes and events.
Site Admin

'The Game'

Postby BossHog » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:39 pm

Sorry to have not been posting much Olympics stuff this week, but I've been really busy.

But I had to post something about such a big hockey game today.

U.S. comes in on fire... Canada finally starting to gel and play like a team... it's going to be an absolute barn burner.

Over HALF of Canada watched in horror as the American very deservedly won the preliminary match. Can Ryan Miller match that insane level of play?

Will Canada be able to find redemption? Will the U.S. avenge the women's loss? Will the Americans add Olympic gold to their win at the World Juniors?

Don't miss it. It might be the best hockey game you see for a long time. It might be the best hockey game you EVER see.

3pm - tune in and catch a game for the ages.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:08 pm

Our Father, who art in GM Place,
hockey be thy name.
Thy will be done, GOLD to be WON
on ICE as well as in the stands.

Give us this day, our hockey sticks,
and forgive us our penalties,
as we forgive those who crosscheck against us.

Lead us not into silver, but deliver us to victory,
in the name of the fans, CANADA, and the HOLY PUCK.
AMEN!

Let's go CANADA !!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:29 pm

It might be the best hockey game you EVER see.

Perhaps for a Canadian, or a 40 year old American, that could be true...

While not the most technically excellent game ever played, I cannot imagine anything EVER topping the 1976 Miracle on Ice... My son, now a Major in the Army, was barely a month old... and I think I may have bounced him off the ceiling when the clock hit 0.0. It was a dangerous time to be an infant at my house!

For anyone old enough to remember being riveted to the tube for that, it would take a truly special game to top it.

I swear... I did not breathe for the entire 3rd period.

That doesn't mean that I wouldn't enjoy watching a US win today, though... :wink:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

kazoo

Re: 'The Game'

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:47 pm

BossHog wrote:Don't miss it. It might be the best hockey game you see for a long time. It might be the best hockey game you EVER see.

Oh man, you called that one. What a great game for both sides. As I post this we're headed to OT. No one should be hanging their heads after this one.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:49 pm

Countertrey wrote:
It might be the best hockey game you EVER see.

While not the most technically excellent game ever played, I cannot imagine anything EVER topping the 1976 Miracle on Ice... My son, now a Major in the Army, was barely a month old...

Hmm..the Miracle on Ice was in 1980. Now I don't mean to nit pick, but our son was born in what year?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:05 pm

I'm impressed that the US team was able to hang. Miller was hot. A gold would have been nice, but...

Canada should have won... and did. Congrats to them!
=D>

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:26 pm

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Hockey supremacy is hard work even for a fan... can't imagine what it was like for our boys.

Congrats on a tremendous win over a very gritty, determined American team.

For once in my life, I was happy to see Crosby get a goal. :rock:

No shame for the American lads though... they were top drawer... and Ryan miller was appropriately acknowledged by the intelligent hockey crowd.

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:56 pm

BossHog wrote:For once in my life, I was happy to see Crosby get a goal. :rock:
It was a movie ending finale.

I hated the "protecting the win" style by Canada for most of the 3rd period. Coach Babcock should have done something about it. This American Team had too much determination and skill to be allowed the initiative. They deserved to tie the game.

No shame for the American lads though... they were top drawer... and Ryan miller was appropriately acknowledged by the intelligent hockey crowd.

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Miller was fantastic. That shot by Syd had virtually no room to go in. The American Team played "Canadian style Hockey" It worked.

-drinking
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:36 pm

Congrats to Canada, what a game. To bad Crosby got the winner, at least he was good enough to shake hands this time around.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:51 pm

A great point about what this game means for hockey in the United States.

http://deadspin.com/5482294/canada-wins-but-so-do-you
" How are you feeling? Gut punched? Broken? Just wanting to go to sleep and never wake up? Embrace it. It's a wonderful thing.

Just a brutal loss for the United States. The team that dramatically ties it up with 25 seconds left is supposed to have all the momentum. It's not supposed to end this way, you say. But it was.

It was always supposed to end like this. Canada were the favorites going in, and, despite hiccups against the US and Switzerland, were clearly the best team in every game they played.

Let go of your patriotism for a second. This is the perfect way to close Vancouver 2010. The home nation, topping off its most successful games ever with a gold medal in the biggest sport at at Olympics — and it happens to be their national sport, to boot. The fact that their golden boy scored the winning goal, against their biggest rivals? It's a storybook ending.

To be such a dramatic win, it had to be a heartbreaking loss for someone. And boy, it hurts right now. But you're not alone.

And that's the beauty of it. There are millions of Americans walking around like zombies right now. You're all going to be depressed for a while, and you'll spend the rest of your life thinking about what might have been.

It hurts because you care. And maybe you're already a huge hockey fan, and you understood every nuance of the game. But there are a ton of people out there who are only hurt because they supported their country by tuning in. They just happened to see one of the most exciting hockey games ever. Before Vancouver, maybe they never saw a hockey game. Now, hockey made them care.

Someone made the decision to watch their NHL team's next game. Some kid just made the choice to play hockey. Someone just learned the names Crosby, Miller, Luongo for the first time. Hockey has some new fans.

People are going to be talking about hockey tomorrow. So while Canada takes home the gold medal — and all due congratulations to them — it's hockey as a whole that wins."
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:35 pm

great game. both sides played their guts out. Congrats to the Canadians for winning at home and congrats to the U.S. for once again playing well above expectations.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:20 pm

Congrats to Canada. I made no secret of the fact that I was rooting against them, but they won.

I absolutely hate the fact that it had to be Cindy Crieslikeababy to get the game-winner in OT.

Add that to his recent Stanley Cup win, and now we are never going to hear the end of how great he is... :puke:

Team USA gave 'em a run for their money though. Not bad for a team that wasn't even supposed to place!
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:23 pm

Not at all trying to be a killjoy, but the game was actually a bit dull in parts.

Granted, the end of the third and overtime made this game near spectacular, but settling in and playing the trap, doesn't make for a great game. A large majority of the second and third were played between the blue lines and there wasn't a lot of zip to the action.

The end of the third and overtime were about as electric as you'll ever see on a pad of ice.

Ryan Miller was an absolute stud, and IMO, EASILY the absolute best player in the tournament. I said going in to the games that he made the US a powerhouse, and he truly did lead them nearly all the way to greatness.

In the end though, the Canadian team found enough chemistry to get the job done. Loooooooooooooooouuuuuuu was steady in goal, and Canada showed that they were indeed the most complete team from top to bottom. The only game where they truly played a crash-and-bang Canadian game of hockey was against the Russians, and the results of that game spoke for themselves.

Some good hockey though, and I completely agree with the Deadspin article - enough good stuff to spark even more interest in a fantastic game.

Anybody that lives in Canada only had to step outside last night to know what it meant to this nation... flags flying, horns honking, red and white sweaters everywhere, and total strangers fist bumping and embracing the spirit of both Canada and hockey.

A truly great evening to be a Canadian.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:24 pm

For once in my life, I was happy to see Crosby get a goal.

What? I thought that even Canadians couldn't stand his whining azz...

I would have expected something like "Well, we'll take the win... but jeeze, I wish it had been anybody but Crosby..."

:wink:

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:25 pm

Bob 0119 wrote:Team USA gave 'em a run for their money though. Not bad for a team that wasn't even supposed to place!

Not sure that's really true - up here in Canada - the US, Russia and Canada were the medal favorites. Journalists may have tried to hedge their bets by squeaking in a Sweden mention or a Finland mention, but in Canada, the concensus view seemed to be that Russia and the US were our biggest obstacles.

My 2 cents

Return to 2010 Olympics