Official 2013 Draft Thread

Put all your thoughts and musings on the 2013 NFL Draft right here! Mocks... profiles... trades... you name it.
Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:33 pm

TimSkin wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Niles Paul is somewhere @#!*%
Not as @#!*% as Mark Sanchez... but... yeah!

Mark Sanchez has his resume on the printer right now.

This kid looks good though. I'm seeing where they are going with this. Another weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-frWs5UGg0

He looks like Fred Davis insurance. Not to be a broken record but his catching and yards after looks a lot like Davis. Trey made a good comment though about whether or not he can block.

Anyone know this this dude's play?

Okay huge Gators fan here and I do like this pick don't love it but like it. Basically in 2012 the Gators had NO and I mean zip zero zilch of a passing attack besides Reed. Every game he was being double teamed sometimes triple teamed because the Gators had no WRs that could stretch the field(Reed was really their only halfway consistent deep threat) Also because of this the other teams would put 8, 9, sometimes 10 guys in the box so the middle of the field would be congested. This is why he doesn't have monster numbers. However when he does get the ball in his hands he is extremely dangerous in the open field which will be beneficial in our division since the girls, eagles, and gints have average to below average back sevens so he has the potential to be a matchup nightmare.

While his size is only listed at 6'2" 240 he really does seem to play a lot bigger than that.

In his first few years at UF his blocking wasn't that great but last year during the off season it was his first full off season as a TE and all the reporters and coaches were saying he dedicated himself to becoming a better all around blocker and it definitely showed so i'm sure after a couple years with an NFL position coach he will be just fine there.

One thing that he does do that needs to be fixed is he will have a perfectly thrown ball his way and jump up and try to catch it which just lets dudes catch him in the air and tackle him but that can be fixed too.

With Freddy only signing a one year deal this year and not exactly knowing Paul's true potential this is a good pick maybe a bit of a reach but with the type of mismatches this guy could eventually create in our division and Shannallen's drafts so far this guy could end up being a very solid 3rd rounder.

Thanks for posting this man!! Great insight!

So basically what we are looking at is a new TE with Paulsen's blocking and Davis' route running and catch ability? I'm sold.

Not to change gears, but the more I read up on/watch films on this Dominick Reyes kid, I really hope we pick him up. Shoot I'd even be ok with us bypassing Ray Ray to get him...just really liking what I'm seeing.

He can cover a lot of field in a short period of time even though he's 4.59 @ 40.

Hog

Postby TimSkin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:38 pm

SkinsFreak wrote:Hey guys, Jordan Reed is a great pick. I know some of you weren't predicting a TE in the 3rd, but I saw that the Skins wasted no time when they were on the clock making this pick. They basically ran to the podium, which tells me they had this kid rated highly, and I know why.

I live down here in Florida and most of my friends here are Gator fans. Folks here absolutely love this guy. He was one of the most popular players for the Gators. The analysts say he's the type of TE you can move all around the formation as Reed can create mismatches. Reed has great hands, great ball skills and they love his physicality. Everyone believes his best years are in front of him.

I can plainly see why they took Reed. Fred Davis is the man, but he's returning from an achilles, which can take a long time to recover from. That leaves Logan Paulsen and Niles Paul. (I think most have resigned to the fact that Cooley's days in Washington are over.) Although Paulsen has good hands and makes good catches, he gets no YAC and he's nowhere near the physical specimen Reed is. Although I've been intrigued by the potential of Niles Paul, his hands have yet to show up.

So I believe the addition of Reed puts Paulsen and Paul on notice. I can see us going into the season with Davis, Reed and Paul. (Paul gets the edge only because he's versatile and was a 5th round pick. Paulsen was undrafted. But that's only if Paul learns how to catch. If not, they could stay with Paulsen.)

I really like the pick of Jordan Reed. Mike and Kyle love using the TE in their system and Reed can be dynamic in this offense with RG3 dishing him the ball. How about a two-TE set with Davis and Reed? That would leave either one-on-one with a LB. No match. Reed will really boost our offense IMHO. Love it!

I agree with you skinsfreak I used to live in florida and love the gators and it brought a smile to my face when I got home from work and saw this selection.

One thing that I noticed in your post is what a match up nightmare he can be and as I pointed out in my other post the other teams in our division aren't very strong in their back seven. He can play as an Hback, fullback, multiple TE positions, slot receiver, and if we need a gimmick play he was a QB his freshman year at UF.

Somebody was arguing on another post that Reed has a bad attitude problem....this guy was the heart and soul of the Gator's passing O and all the coaches tell the media what a great locker room guy he is. Imagine how bad their offense would have truly been without him makes me shudder. Yes he did have a bad Sugar Bowl but the whole team played like garbage.
HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hog

Postby TimSkin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:45 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
TimSkin wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

This kid looks good though. I'm seeing where they are going with this. Another weapon.

He looks like Fred Davis insurance. Not to be a broken record but his catching and yards after looks a lot like Davis. Trey made a good comment though about whether or not he can block.

Okay huge Gators fan here and I do like this pick don't love it but like it. Basically in 2012 the Gators had NO and I mean zip zero zilch of a passing attack besides Reed. Every game he was being double teamed sometimes triple teamed because the Gators had no WRs that could stretch the field(Reed was really their only halfway consistent deep threat) Also because of this the other teams would put 8, 9, sometimes 10 guys in the box so the middle of the field would be congested. This is why he doesn't have monster numbers. However when he does get the ball in his hands he is extremely dangerous in the open field which will be beneficial in our division since the girls, eagles, and gints have average to below average back sevens so he has the potential to be a matchup nightmare.

While his size is only listed at 6'2" 240 he really does seem to play a lot bigger than that.

In his first few years at UF his blocking wasn't that great but last year during the off season it was his first full off season as a TE and all the reporters and coaches were saying he dedicated himself to becoming a better all around blocker and it definitely showed so i'm sure after a couple years with an NFL position coach he will be just fine there.

One thing that he does do that needs to be fixed is he will have a perfectly thrown ball his way and jump up and try to catch it which just lets dudes catch him in the air and tackle him but that can be fixed too.

With Freddy only signing a one year deal this year and not exactly knowing Paul's true potential this is a good pick maybe a bit of a reach but with the type of mismatches this guy could eventually create in our division and Shannallen's drafts so far this guy could end up being a very solid 3rd rounder.

So basically what we are looking at is a new TE with Paulsen's blocking and Davis' route running and catch ability? I'm sold.

Not to change gears, but the more I read up on/watch films on this Dominick Reyes kid, I really hope we pick him up. Shoot I'd even be ok with us bypassing Ray Ray to get him...just really liking what I'm seeing.

He can cover a lot of field in a short period of time even though he's 4.59 @ 40.

Thanks man I appreciate it.....

I do want to say I don't think he's quite up to Paulson's blocking ability but the jump he took during one offseason as a full TE was pretty impressive. I just think he has the ability to become that type of blocker after some work with his position coach.

Also I don't know much about Armstrong but I've seen you mention him quite a few times....Is he more of a FS or SS? I know he definitely has the size but just wondering why he isn't a more thought of prospect than the late rounds?
HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:30 pm

TimSkin wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
TimSkin wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

Thanks man I appreciate it.....

I do want to say I don't think he's quite up to Paulson's blocking ability but the jump he took during one offseason as a full TE was pretty impressive. I just think he has the ability to become that type of blocker after some work with his position coach.

Also I don't know much about Armstrong but I've seen you mention him quite a few times....Is he more of a FS or SS? I know he definitely has the size but just wondering why he isn't a more thought of prospect than the late rounds?

Ray Ray has fallen in the draft do to some character issues. That's why I wouldn't mind picking him up last or in a 2nd to last round.

If he behaves himself, he'll definitely be a high reward. So basically I'm all for getting our needs met then taking a chance on Ray Ray.

Personally, I'd like to see us pick him up as an UDFA. Not much risk there; no wasted draft pick.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:34 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:Well it looks like the Niles Paul experiment is over.

Certainly doesn't look encouraging for the man, does it?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:41 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Davis
Paulson
Paul
Cooley

If the coaches say he is hands down better then three of the four, then and only then, is this a good pick. Having Cooley in the reserves isn't a luxury any other team has... So, I don't get the need for another TE. The pukes are decimated at safety, and pick before us... That may not bode well for omorrow.
Luckily they draft wrs too high then train them tobe selfish crybabies who give up on plays. Hopefully they draft a wr w the next pick too.

Not to belabor the point, but Cooley is done, finished, over. Our TEs are Davis, Paulson, Paul and Reed. And yes, one of those may not make the team (I'm looking at you Niles). But in my mind this pick works in one of many ways, the first two being; a. Davis insurance in case of incomplete recovery or monster year>>too much money desired and b. WEAPONS EVERYWHERE!!! Double TE set with garcon and morgan on outside and the butler in the backfield or running pistol with Pat white in backfield with the butler and rgiii, double te set and one WR split wide or tight and . . . yeah, this could be FUN
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:00 am

emoses14 wrote:Not to belabor the point, but Cooley is done, finished, over.

Not to belabor the point, but no, he isn't. Maybe his days as a Redskin are over, but the man clearly has something left in the tank. And when you put it in such a way, it just serves to piss off fans who love what he has done for this team in the past, and makes you seem to be a douche who just wants to rub salt in those fans' wounds. The fact that he says he doesn't want to play for another team, to the point of turning down offers last year, just in the hopes that he could still contribute to our efforts, should earn him some respect. If he chooses to play for someone else, then more power to him. If he chooses to retire now, he is still the Skins all-time leader at TE, and one of the great characters this team has ever had. SMH
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:19 am

Anyone here surprised, or concerned, that we NEVER talked to Reed before the draft?

Gotta say, pretty surprising to me...I thought our FO picked guys that will fit the team...how do they know for sure when they never talked to him...wow.

Hog

Postby ferryrich » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:28 am

fredp45 wrote:Anyone here surprised, or concerned, that we NEVER talked to Reed before the draft?

Gotta say, pretty surprising to me...I thought our FO picked guys that will fit the team...how do they know for sure when they never talked to him...wow.

Surprised all round really. Benched for apparent "attitude" reasons too yet we were only going for character guys - you'd think any flag like that would be checked out and the player at least spoken to.
He wouldn't have been my choice, either the guy himself or even his position, but I can understand the pick and can see him helping us progress.

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:54 am

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a pass catching TE here. Two reasons:

1) Another weapon for Bob -- While Paulsen is a great blocker and reliable pass catcher, he isn't a big threat. Niles Paul can't seem to hold onto the ball, and Davis is coming back from injury, so a need for us; and

2) I like helping both sides of the ball in a draft -- One example of that not happening was the Jets, they draft two Def players in the first round. Did they really need another Dlineman? Their offense was horrid last year. They pick QB Smith in the 2nd...does that really help? IMO, Sanchez may not be great but he was not the problem. They had a marginal line, NO weapons (especially when Holmes went down) and no running back... Ryan isn't my favorite coach, but he's doomed.

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:40 am

Countertrey wrote:He looks bigger than Fred... hopefully he can block. But, he does look a lot like Fred running routes and catching...

Apparently, that is not one of his strengths so far. He is undersized for a blocker. They like to draw analogies to Aron Hernandez from the Pats. Maybe we will be looking at a difference offense this year where the TE becomes another WR/TE hybrid like Belichek and even Fisher (and arguably Broncos with Peyton) like in their systems.

I am not saying that this guy is Welker in Denver or Amendola in NE or his apparent replacement in St Louis, Tavon Austin. Several experts have thrown around the name Hernandez from NE as a close analogy. In any event, this guy is not a pure WR or a pure TE. He is a hybrid position player. Not as fast asa WR but faster than most TEs, and conversely, more physical than most WRs but not as good a blocker as a typical TE. But I would argue we will see more receiving options, a happier passing offense and fewer runs this year.
Last edited by Redskin in Canada on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:48 am

Article describing how Kyle Shanahan will use a weapon like Jordan Reed along with Fred Davis.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/4/26/4273100/breaking-down-redskins-draft-pick-tight-end-jordan-reed
SPIT HAPPENS!!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:46 am

The Hogster wrote:Article describing how Kyle Shanahan will use a weapon like Jordan Reed along with Fred Davis.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/4/26/4273100/breaking-down-redskins-draft-pick-tight-end-jordan-reed

I'll add this gif, as an UNDERLINE to the above... watch this! Image
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:51 am

Countertrey wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Article describing how Kyle Shanahan will use a weapon like Jordan Reed along with Fred Davis

People often asked whether we would pick most needed or best player available (BPA). I feel this pick answers that question: Shanahan feels he took the BPA at 85st pick. Team stuck true to its board. :shock:

It will be interesting to see what happens next in light of remaining needs versus other potential best players available which may not necessarily address our needs in the secondary or OT.

Somehow, a balance between need and BPA will need to be struck, I would think. 8-[
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:54 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:
Countertrey wrote:He looks bigger than Fred... hopefully he can block. But, he does look a lot like Fred running routes and catching...

Apparently, that is not one of his strengths so far. He is undersized for a blocker. They like to draw analogies to Aron Hernandez from the Pats. Maybe we will be looking at a difference offense this year where the TE becomes another WR/TE hybrid like Belichek and even Fisher (and arguably Broncos with Peyton) like in their systems.

I am not saying that this guy is Welker in Denver or Amendola in NE or his apparent replacement in St Louis, Tavon Austin. Several experts have thrown around the name Hernandez from NE as a close analogy. In any event, this guy is not a pure WR or a pure TE. He is a hybrid position player. Not as fast asa WR but faster than most TEs, and conversely, more physical than most WRs but not as good a blocker as a typical TE. But I would argue we will see more receiving options, a happier passing offense and fewer runs this year.

I think you are right... he is a joker... and will create nightmare matchup problems in combination with Davis... throw in read option, and an effective run game... OMG...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to NFL Draft 2013