Redskins at the Eagles on MNF

This sub forum is STRICTLY for THN's Redskins' Game Day threads.
Forum rules
Despite our PG board, we WILL tolerate more colorful verbage on game days, but we still ask that you never attack the poster unless it is in Smack.
08 Champ
Posts: 17773
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport, RI, you're lucky enough

Re: Redskins at the Eagles on MNF

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:16 am

riggofan wrote:
grampi wrote:Did you see the difference in the amount of time Cousins had to throw the ball early in the game as compared to late in the game? Early, his O-line was giving him time and his throws were right on the money. Later in the game, the O-line was being pushed back into Cousins before he had time to throw. That's not on Cousins, that's on the O-line. Our defense is a much bigger problem than Cousins is...
+1. Probably had something to do with Scherff, Williams and Morgan Moses all getting injured. :D

Cousins was okay, and I still would argue he's good enough to win with a good team around him. But no denying that Wentz shows the difference a "special" QB can make. He kept rolling even after Jason Peters went down. That guy looks like the real deal unfortunately.

QB is the most important position but having a roster with good depth that has been put together by NFL people (as I like to call them) is just as important as that would always include having a good QB playing and a quality back up - we don't have people in charge here that know how to do that and until Dan Snyder stops meddling and pushing for who coaches and plays here, this franchise is going to remain in the bottom third of the NFL

Kirk Cousins is a good NFL QB but he's not a really good QB - there are a lot of mediocre NFL QBs at present and it's easy to point out that Cousins is a whole lot better than that but the fact remains, he's not a QB that is going to be a difference maker and we don't have a back up QB that is very good either

Injuries are a part of the game and not having good depth or a long term plan is what makes this franchise what it is - mediocre at best
The Redskins franchise has been a mess since 1999 - it's baffling that some here think that things might improve while the franchise continues to be mismanaged - this idiot owner has no clue about the NFL

CKRGiii
Posts: 6486
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: Redskins at the Eagles on MNF

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Baker Mayfield is legit.. Undersized, but man I wish Kirk played with that kind of confidence!

We may make a run at ol Alex Smith.. Kirk and Garden can def do better... I don't agree that he is a career back up, or that Gruden is an idiot. Be nice to keep momentum after the first drive, and the third an short plays lack any balls.. But we are competitive every game thats a change
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ
Posts: 17773
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport, RI, you're lucky enough

Re: Redskins at the Eagles on MNF

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:16 pm

the past few years have not been bad but the fact remains we have lost a bunch of games that we should have won with better play calling and better execution on both offense and defense

with this FO, the possibility of us seeing a product on the field that is consistently making a playoff run each season is very unlikely
The Redskins franchise has been a mess since 1999 - it's baffling that some here think that things might improve while the franchise continues to be mismanaged - this idiot owner has no clue about the NFL

08 Champ
Posts: 17773
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport, RI, you're lucky enough

Re: Redskins at the Eagles on MNF

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:27 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Baker Mayfield is legit.. Undersized, but man I wish Kirk played with that kind of confidence!

We may make a run at ol Alex Smith.. Kirk and Gruden can def do better ... I don't agree that he is a career back up, or that Gruden is an idiot. Be nice to keep momentum after the first drive, and the third an short plays lack any balls.. But we are competitive every game thats a change

Jay Gruden is not a bad HC but he's not a very good HC - same is true for Kirk Cousins and while we should have signed him to a LTD, we will not be doing that now - the big problem is NOT the HC or the QB ... we just don't have good people in charge - the attitude of the players and coaches shows a lack of confidence and leadership - we are OK with 8-8 seasons, considering the dysfunction, 8 or 9 wins is fantastic

we have seen a glimmer of possibility this season but we will not see a consistently competitive product on the field until Dan Snyder realizes that he is hurting this franchise with the way he involves himself with so many decisions that he should be letting others make
The Redskins franchise has been a mess since 1999 - it's baffling that some here think that things might improve while the franchise continues to be mismanaged - this idiot owner has no clue about the NFL

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 8756
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Redskins at the Eagles on MNF

Postby riggofan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:14 am

SkinsJock wrote:the past few years have not been bad but the fact remains we have lost a bunch of games that we should have won with better play calling and better execution on both offense and defense


Bunch of games?? Come on, man. We lose games because of talent (or the lack thereof) on the roster. Better play calling would not have made Will Compton a better LB last year. We're better at linebacker because we brought in Zach Brown. Zach Brown doesn't "execute" better. He's a faster player. Our defense has been better this year because we've had better players and better depth (at least before the injury bug whacked us).

This stuff about play calling and execution drives me nuts. Its the kind of nonsense soccer moms come up with. Anyone who has coached any sport at any level will tell you the games are 90% decided by the players on the field. There are underdog victories from time to time, but the teams with the better athletes and competitors win the games more often than not.

If you honestly believe that the Redskins have had a rock solid competitive roster anytime in the past 20 years, you have to be crazy. I know what your opinion of the Redskins FO is, so I'm sure that's not what you believe.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

08 Champ
Posts: 17773
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport, RI, you're lucky enough

Re: Redskins at the Eagles on MNF

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:41 am

mostly, the NFL is made up of players with a lot of talent - getting the most out of those players and getting players to play with more intensity is a key to success - good teams let really good players go even when they're playing well simply because they don't fit with what the coaches want them to do

having good players is not a problem finding players that suit what the coaches want to do and getting the most out of them is IMPOSSIBLE when the guys bringing the talent in do not have a clue what the coaches are trying to achieve - having a great player at any position or a great HC is not as key as having a bunch of players play well together and having players that fit what the coaches want to do

let's see how well this season unfolds with this HC and this QB :lol:
The Redskins franchise has been a mess since 1999 - it's baffling that some here think that things might improve while the franchise continues to be mismanaged - this idiot owner has no clue about the NFL

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 8756
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Redskins at the Eagles on MNF

Postby riggofan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:50 pm

SkinsJock wrote:mostly, the NFL is made up of players with a lot of talent - getting the most out of those players and getting players to play with more intensity is a key to success - good teams let really good players go even when they're playing well simply because they don't fit with what the coaches want them to do

having good players is not a problem finding players that suit what the coaches want to do and getting the most out of them is IMPOSSIBLE when the guys bringing the talent in do not have a clue what the coaches are trying to achieve - having a great player at any position or a great HC is not as key as having a bunch of players play well together and having players that fit what the coaches want to do

let's see how well this season unfolds with this HC and this QB :lol:


That's a lot of words right there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

08 Champ
Posts: 17773
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport, RI, you're lucky enough

Re: Redskins at the Eagles on MNF

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:32 am

in the past 5 years we've seen the Redskins lose big games they should have won - we have a culture here that needs to be changed

Jay Gruden and Kirk Cousins are not the main reasons we are not as successful as we could be - saying that we're lucky to have a HC like Jay Gruden because what good HC would want to play for this owner is revealing in itself and Kirk Cousins is a good NFL QB statistically but he's not a difference making, winning NFL QB - certainly, we should have signed him to a LTD a much earlier but we also should not give him a LTD at 'market value' after this season - he's not that good

this franchise is not managed properly - it was recently reported that Doug Williams is now 'in charge' - that's fine, but if Doug is just doing what Allen & Snyder want, that's not really who is 'managing' here
The Redskins franchise has been a mess since 1999 - it's baffling that some here think that things might improve while the franchise continues to be mismanaged - this idiot owner has no clue about the NFL

08 Champ
Posts: 17773
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport, RI, you're lucky enough

Re: Redskins at the Eagles on MNF

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:39 pm

riggofan wrote: .. We lose games because of talent (or the lack thereof) on the roster. Better play calling would not have made Will Compton a better LB last year. We're better at linebacker because we brought in Zach Brown. Zach Brown doesn't "execute" better. He's a faster player. Our defense has been better this year because we've had better players and better depth (at least before the injury bug whacked us).

This stuff about play calling and execution drives me nuts. Its the kind of nonsense soccer moms come up with. Anyone who has coached any sport at any level will tell you the games are 90% decided by the players on the field. There are underdog victories from time to time, but the teams with the better athletes and competitors win the games more often than not.

If you honestly believe that the Redskins have had a rock solid competitive roster anytime in the past 20 years, you have to be crazy. I know what your opinion of the Redskins FO is, so I'm sure that's not what you believe.


I agree that having talented players is important - my issue is that I'm not sure that the people that are making the decisions on who to bring in here have even the faintest idea of which players might become better by being here

I have no problem with Doug Williams making decisions on which players and coaches should be here and which players deserve long term contracts - the guys making those decisions in the past still have too much influence and have made REALLY STUPID decisions - this affects the product on the field and the success of the franchise

IMO - this franchise would have a greater chance at success if the people making decisions on who plays and coaches here had a little bit of knowledge about the NFL - the guy(s) in charge here since 1999 do not have an effing clue about the NFL

Bill Parcells used to say that the HC should have a lot of input on which players are added to or kept on the roster - do you think that Jay Gruden was OK with letting both Jackson and Garcon go? OR that Mike Shanahan was instrumental in bringing RG3 here?
btw - how's Sean McVay working out as the youngest HC in modern history in the NFL?
The Redskins franchise has been a mess since 1999 - it's baffling that some here think that things might improve while the franchise continues to be mismanaged - this idiot owner has no clue about the NFL

Hog
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 10:11 pm

Re: Redskins at the Eagles on MNF

Postby hitmandm » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:53 pm

SkinsJock wrote:it doesn't take long to get your QB up to speed - Wentz was drafted last year

even if we'd brought in a replacement for Cousins there's little chance that the triumvirate of Snyder, Allen and Gruden would have selected anyone that would become a winning NFL QB



Well 2018 isn't really looking good for QBs

Return to Game Day