Our Jake's scoop: Dusty misses the Nats, sometimes

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
Skins History Buff

Our Jake's scoop: Dusty misses the Nats, sometimes

Postby welch » Sat May 11, 2019 12:14 pm

Dusty Baker ‘sometimes’ wishes he still managed the Nationals. So do plenty of fans.

By Jake Russell [AKA, Jake from THN / We knew him when]
May 10 at 9:59 PM

The Nationals are experiencing their worst start to a season since before the Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper eras began. Lots of fingers have been pointed by the fan base, many in the direction of Dave Martinez, who took over as manager for Dusty Baker after Baker’s contract was not renewed following the 2017 season despite winning 192 games and two National League East titles.

After guiding the team through a disappointing 2018 campaign that saw the club miss the playoffs, Martinez is currently leading an injury-plagued squad that has stumbled out to a 15-22 start, Washington’s worst record after 37 games since beginning 2009 at 12-25.

The start has left some supporters reminiscing about Martinez’s predecessor, perhaps even wishing Baker was still in charge. Baker said in an MLB Network Radio interview Friday that the feeling is mutual.

“I get calls and letters from people, especially when I see the 202 area code, and it’s like, ‘Hey man, we miss you. I wish you were here,’ ” Baker said. “And quite frankly, I wish I was there, too, sometimes. But the longer you’re away from somewhere, the more you stop wishing.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... 33be29bf5b

Return to The Lounge