Baby Back Ribs with Redskin Potato Salad

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:58 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Ok. So if you cook them by boiling them are you just taking them to the grill to reheat them at a later time?

You are getting the hang of it Chris! :idea: :idea: :idea:

But not just to heat them up. You can add sauces and the fire on the grill changes the flavour too.

You can also actually pre-cook other meats. The secret is NOT to PRE-OVERCOOK them.
Last edited by Redskin in Canada on Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:59 pm

JSPB22 wrote:Man, this thread id making me hungry!

And I thought that the thread was dead for a while ...
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:13 pm

The secret is NOT to PRE-OVERCOOK them.

If that's not the secret, then what is??

Seriously, though, this thread is awesome. It could use some more discussion on home-made BBQ sauce, though :-"
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby curveball » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:03 pm

Here's a really easy BBQ sauce recipe. Tweak it to your own tastes.

Carmelize a chopped large red onion, (about 5 minutes over a medium heat) add a couple of cloves of minced garlic and a few seeded serranos minced with a pat or two more of butter. Cook for about 2 or 3 minutes then add a few splashes of Worchestershire sauce and about a half cup of red wine vinegar. Bring that to a simmer then add about six Roma tomatoes minced a pinch or two of brown sugar and two shots of tequila. Let it cook for about 10 minutes. Dump it in the blender until you have your desired consistency.

I add my spices after that. The usual suspects, cumin, ginger, whatever strikes your fancy.
This space reserved for BTP......If he ever wins it.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:15 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Ok. So if you cook them by boiling them are you just taking them to the grill to reheat them at a later time?

You are getting the hang of it Chris! :idea: :idea: :idea:

But not just to heat them up. You can add sauces and the fire on the grill changes the flavour too.

You can also actually pre-cook other meats. The secret is NOT to PRE-OVERCOOK them.

Ok. My girlfriend and I cooked some ribs about a month ago. She boiled them before I stuck them on the grill. At what point do you stop boiling them? Should I have wrapped them up in foil? How much sauce should I have coated the ribs with in the foil? How long should I have cooked the ribs on the grill?

I might have to cook something before it gets too cold!
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

+++

Postby NikiH » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:23 pm

I've not tried to make my own bbq sauce, although once I did while making pork bbq. It was ok but nothing spectacular but I am so trying curveball's recipe.

I've never been good at cooking ribs so I'll let Scott do that part.
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

...unadulterated

Postby Hoss » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:45 pm

CLL,
I usually use the "Country Style" ribs which are much meatier than regular ribs.

Soak hickory chips in water for at least an hour. You can buy wood chips at any grocery store....look for next to the charcoal briquets.

Liberally sprinkle ribs with season-all, granulated garlic, and pepper. Let ribs sit at room temp for 20 min.

Put soaked chips in smoker box in grill, or wrap them in aluminum foil, make sure to poke plenty of holes in foil, place in grill and get grill med/high temp. This allows the wood chips to start to smoke.

Once temp is achieved, place ribs on grate furthest from heat source. I use my upper grate on my gas grill. Turn heat down to medium low, or open vents if using charcoal grill.
The trick is to cook on indirect heat and SLOW. Turn every 15-20 min. Don't rush. Takes almost an hour. I probably turn 3-4 times.
Slather bbq sauce on during the last 5 minutes of each side. Be careful sauce will burn easily. Serve with homemade fried rice and kimchee. Die and go to heaven. :mrgreen:
People may not remember exactly what you did
or what you said....

~BUT~
they will ALWAYS remember how you made them feel.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:08 pm

How do you control the temp when using charcoal? Is it just by opening the vents?
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

...unadulterated

Postby Hoss » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:30 pm

Been a while since I've used a charcoal grill. Gotten lazy I guess.

Put the grate up at it's highest setting. Open vents. Spread briquets out somewhat, and check meat every 10 min. Turn once meat starts to change to a deeper "crisp" look. The more you bbq, the more an experienced eye you will get. Remember to cook bbq slow. Better to cook slow, than to cook too fast and make the meat tough. You can always zap them in the microwave a couple of minutes if there is any doubt to the doneness.
Hey, let me know if you give them shot.
People may not remember exactly what you did
or what you said....

~BUT~
they will ALWAYS remember how you made them feel.

Hog

Postby SkinsFanInHawai'i » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:52 am

Has anyone tried the ribs you cook in Coca-Cola?

These are the best ribs I've ever had.
But I'm no expert.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:16 am

SkinsFanInHawai'i wrote:Has anyone tried the ribs you cook in Coca-Cola?

Cooked in Coca-Cola, you say?... This intrigues me. Tell me more.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby SkinsFanInHawai'i » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:44 am

JSPB22 wrote:
SkinsFanInHawai'i wrote:Has anyone tried the ribs you cook in Coca-Cola?

Cooked in Coca-Cola, you say?... This intrigues me. Tell me more.

Basically you just boil them in Coke for an hour.

The meat just falls right off the bone.

I know there are some recipes online, I'm just too lazy to look.

Hog

Postby curveball » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:41 pm

I marinate in Coke all the time, as a matter of fact, there's a brisket recipe soaking them in Coke on the way to a tailgate on here somewhere. I don't know why but Coke works much better than Pepsi for cooking.

And CLL, take the actual grilling surface off your barbque before you start your charcoal. Spread the charcoal evenly until it's ready (use the hand method if you don't have an infrared thermometer, it's ready when you have to pull your hand away before a three count), then move all the charcoal on to one side on your grill before replacing the grilling surface.

This will leave you with one dircet high heat side for searing and an indirect heat half for your slow cooking.
This space reserved for BTP......If he ever wins it.

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:45 pm

curveball wrote:I marinate in Coke all the time...

After all, he IS a Cowpuke fan. :-"
VIVA SEXY!!!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:59 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Ok. My girlfriend and I cooked some ribs about a month ago. She boiled them before I stuck them on the grill. At what point do you stop boiling them? Should I have wrapped them up in foil? How much sauce should I have coated the ribs with in the foil? How long should I have cooked the ribs on the grill?

I might have to cook something before it gets too cold!

I only pre-cook if I am going to be pressed for time the next day. If I do it at home, I marinate them for a few hours, even overnight, but I do not pre-cook ribs.

As you can see from the recipe in the exclusive article, the ribs are -not- boiled. They are pre-cooked in the oven.

If you do insist on boiling them, you have the advantage to remove some fat in advance. The downside is that the flavour changes and the meat can become a bit tougher.

Boiling hot dogs (and chicken) is one thing, ribs I would not recommend.

The key to ribs is to cook them SLOW and put foil so the you avoid BURNING.

Hey, Why would you not try the recipe in the exclusive article as it is. :idea:

As with everything, practice is fun and makes perfect!

Why don't you watch them do it at the tailgate. The best cooking lessons are done on site. They taste better too. :lol:

Return to The Lounge