RoadRunner High Speed Online Questions

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
put AM in the HOF

RoadRunner High Speed Online Questions

Postby tcwest10 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:17 pm

I am considering going with RoadRunner through my cable tv provider, in addition to the HDTV package. I have a couple of questions, and I'm hoping the brethen out there can help me out with some answers.

1. Is there a telephone line involved in any way with RoadRunner ?
2. Can the Television and the internet be used at the same time, since the computer and the television are in the same room ?
3. I'm not sure about the "ethernet card", or even what it is. It says you have to have an open USB port. Currently, my Lexmark X6150 is connected to my Dell tower via USB. I think it is the only USB port I have on the Dell. Is there a splitter, or have I lost the use of my pprinter because RoadRunner needs the USB Port ?
4. Is it clearly faster ? Currently running 56K.
5. I have a Pentium 4 CPU with 1.80 GHz and 256 MB RAM. I'm running XP on a Dell "Dimension 4300". It's three years old. Is this enough, or wanting ?

Thanks, boys and girls. I'm trying to make an educated decision. It's gonna cost a little more that my phone and cable put together if I do it. so I have to be sure it's the way to go.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:27 pm

i don't have roadrunner, but i have cox cable internet which is basically the same.... anyway, here goes.

1. no phone involved
2. yes, they may have to install a separate line, but, they should work that out for you when they do the installation.
3. the cable modem will use the usb port. don't you have a standard printer port hook up? not sure about a usb spliter.
4. yes with out a doubt. no comparison. dial up sucks, you'll imediatley be able to tell a huge difference. you'll probably be ten times faster. i'm connected around 690kbs, but your conection will depend on your local cable network, busier lines are a little slower.
5. your machine is fine. mine is a total piece, and works fine.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:57 pm

Thanks, Hellhog. If you think of anything else I need to know, throw it up for me.

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:08 pm

One other thing to consider tcwest10 - you don't necessarily have to go with RoadRunner if you want high speed cable. In my area I use Earthlink but others are available. My cost is actually cheaper than RR. Here's the interesting part - I still pay my bill to Time Warner but keep all my earthlink accounts. I guess Time Warner figured it was made more sense to share it's cables with other ISPs so they could still get a piece of the pie.

Anyway - something to check into.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Aussie Hog

Postby Amberion » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:33 pm

TC I have a cable modem and cable tv and it comes in the same cable and works a lot faster than dial up.

I did not need a separate cable but that may be a different setup to your companys.

I suggest talking to them and asking a lot of questions. My company offered a free cable modem, free installation and 2 months free access :) (I already had the cable tv installed )
I am Grey: I stand between the candle and the star.
We are Grey: We stand between the darkness and the light

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:45 pm

Amberion and Speek...
Thanks for the help. Here's the deal. I have Time-Warner Cable. We just got a 51" HDTV, and we haven't got the "HD" to got with the "TV", you know what I'm saying ? So, I asked TWC to send me some info. What I got was a nice brochure. Right now, I have package B, which is basic service, standard service, DTV service (digital), Premiums On Demand (a PPV TIVO deal). What I'm looking at is package D, which has all that, plus your choice of Roadrunner, AOL for Broadband or Earthlink High Speed Internet. None of these mean anything to me; I'm a babe in the woods in these matters. I know I don't much like anything having to do with AOL, period. The cost is roughly $30 more than I pay now for cable AND dial-up through the phone company. If it's worth it, it's worth it.
What's the difference between Earthlink and RoadRunner ?

Aussie Hog

Postby Amberion » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:50 pm

I'm not in USA so I dont know the companies involved, sorry

Another thing to take into the equation is how much it is costing in calls on dial up, as well as freeing up the phone line for use all the time. This can be an important consideration for other members of the household
I am Grey: I stand between the candle and the star.
We are Grey: We stand between the darkness and the light

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:07 pm

nothing. the only difference will be your homepage(if you use it). what matters is the connection, and if both are offered through the same cable company, there probably won't be any difference in speed. definantly steer clear of SOL..... they do SUCK.
:wink:
THN's resident jerk.

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:38 pm

Look at the bottom line - price! I pay $41.95 mo. for earthlink and RR is $44.95. No brainer for me considering I already had earthlink as an ISP.

If TWC gives you a better deal because you will be going HD then go with them, service should be about the same - and yes, stay away from SOL.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:13 pm

What is "SOL" ?

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:31 pm

tcwest10 wrote:What is "SOL" ?
ROTFALMAO

just a little nick name for AOL. of course "SOL" means **** outta luck. kinda fits AOL perfect, thus the nick name :D
THN's resident jerk.

Hog

Postby redskincity » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:35 pm

tcwest10 wrote:Amberion and Speek...
Thanks for the help. Here's the deal. I have Time-Warner Cable. We just got a 51" HDTV, and we haven't got the "HD" to got with the "TV", you know what I'm saying ? So, I asked TWC to send me some info. What I got was a nice brochure. Right now, I have package B, which is basic service, standard service, DTV service (digital), Premiums On Demand (a PPV TIVO deal). What I'm looking at is package D, which has all that, plus your choice of Roadrunner, AOL for Broadband or Earthlink High Speed Internet. None of these mean anything to me; I'm a babe in the woods in these matters. I know I don't much like anything having to do with AOL, period. The cost is roughly $30 more than I pay now for cable AND dial-up through the phone company. If it's worth it, it's worth it.

Yeah I have the HD package and it is OK. I was really happy at first, but with the limited channel selection the excitement dies pretty fast. :cry: I love watching ESPN games, they are awesome!

We are suppose to get regular channels in HD, which enables us to watch CBS, NBC and other broadcast channels in HD.

I hear stars are not happy about HD because it shows all of their flaws. Thats funny. Check out the link its very interesting. :wink:

http://tvpredictions.com/

http://www.cheap-plasma-tv.com/plasma-vs-lcd-tv.htm

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/

http://www.hdtvpub.com/

Enjoy!!! :D
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:05 pm

rdskincity - have you heard about voom.com

http://www.voom.com/index.jsp

They are supposed to have over 30 HD channels. Worth a look. :roll:

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:50 pm

Hey, TC...another option is DSL, if it's available in your area. You don't have to run any new lines...it takes a standard phone line, filters it through a modem, and turns it into high speed data (I think it's faster and more consistent than cable, because I've had both.) Another good thing about DSL is that if you wanna move your computer to another room, it's easy...because all you have to do is run your modem to a regular phone line. (Brief Breakdown) Cable modems operate on speeds based on how many people in your area are online with cable...just like dial ups. When there are alot of people online with cable, you'll notice that your connection is a little slower. With DSL, it is always the same speed, no matter how many people are online. It's a dedicated line. So, it might be worth your while to check it out. Most local telephone services provide it and the price is almost identical. Most also have deals that give you a free modem and a month of discounted service. Check it out...
<~~~~~Runs with scissors X
(_E=mc2_)

“This is where I'm most comfortable, ... This is my life, where I work. I'm definitely glad to be back.” #21

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:52 pm

I've heard of VOOM!, but it's like 700 dollars to get started...and if I remember correctly, television is supposed to be converted to full HDTV by the year 2006. So, if your patient enough, you might save yourself some money. Hell, I'll be happy just to get a set top box for my hdtv.
<~~~~~Runs with scissors X
(_E=mc2_)

“This is where I'm most comfortable, ... This is my life, where I work. I'm definitely glad to be back.” #21

Return to The Lounge