Atheism?

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:45 am

ATX_Skins wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:
cvillehog wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:You don't think a religious based military campaign to regain "holy land" isn't doing damage? How many people were killed, enslaved, raped and murdered? How many people were religiously motivated to go on the crusades and fight for a religion through means of fear and intimidation?

I guess I'm just not sure how this has anything to do with whether God exists or not. It seems like no one actually wants to discuss that though, they'd rather yell back and forth about who said exactly what or whether religiousness and theism are the same (or in this case, I guess whether it's religion as a whole or just religious people that are evil).

Oh, what a Great Controversy this is between good/evil.

God is LOVE. On the flipside, satan wants to be worshipped as "God" is workshipped. He does so by attacking the character of God/Love and replaces it with: strife, warfare, murder, hate, greed, filthiness, and all kinds of evil.

Choose today whom you will serve, but as for me and MY HOUSEHOLD...we will serve the LORD....!!! JOSHUA 24:14-18

(sorry if you think The Good Book is fairy tale - I do not share your view)

You can be a slave to religion. I will serve myself.

^^^^^^^^^

TWO facts in life:

1. there is ONE GOD
2. you are not HIM
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:47 am

1niksder wrote:Image

Good or Evil can be found in almost everything it depends on how things are looked at and who is doing the looking.

Some people only see good... some only see evil... then there are those that see both

interesting photo...

the ying and the yang

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:16 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:
cvillehog wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:You don't think a religious based military campaign to regain "holy land" isn't doing damage? How many people were killed, enslaved, raped and murdered? How many people were religiously motivated to go on the crusades and fight for a religion through means of fear and intimidation?

I guess I'm just not sure how this has anything to do with whether God exists or not. It seems like no one actually wants to discuss that though, they'd rather yell back and forth about who said exactly what or whether religiousness and theism are the same (or in this case, I guess whether it's religion as a whole or just religious people that are evil).

Oh, what a Great Controversy this is between good/evil.

God is LOVE. On the flipside, satan wants to be worshipped as "God" is workshipped. He does so by attacking the character of God/Love and replaces it with: strife, warfare, murder, hate, greed, filthiness, and all kinds of evil.

Choose today whom you will serve, but as for me and MY HOUSEHOLD...we will serve the LORD....!!! JOSHUA 24:14-18

(sorry if you think The Good Book is fairy tale - I do not share your view)

You can be a slave to religion. I will serve myself.

^^^^^^^^^

TWO facts in life:

1. there is ONE GOD
2. you are not HIM

I do not agree, but whatever.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:57 pm

You know, for someone confident enough in his views to say they are identical with reality — and for someone who claimed to be interested in seeing a defense of theism — you sure have trouble responding to some basic questions.

Exhibit A
Irn-Bru wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:I am Atheist #truestory

How do you explain everything that is? #truequestion

I don't have to explain anything

Well, not if you have no intellectual curiosity. :roll:

Intellectual curiosity?

I think blindly following stories in the greatest fictional novel ever written is not exactly intelligent.

Not all theists are Christians. Neither would a refutation of Christianity imply atheism is true.

*crickets*

Exhibit B
Irn-Bru wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:Albert Einstein was an Atheist.

Um, no, he wasn't.

It's technical, but he never believed in a personal God.

So what? That's another conflation of God with religion — one of several in this thread.

*crickets*

Exhibit C
Irn-Bru wrote:
I cannot argue there is no God, I can argue that anyone's religion is utter crap though.

Suppose there is a God. Now suppose someone adheres to a religion that worships this God. Those two ideas pose no contradiction.

What is a contradiction, however, is saying that you can't dispute the first premise, but that you can somehow still know the second premise must be absurd. You don't have a base from which to launch that attack.

*crickets*

Exhibit D
Irn-Bru wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:IMO opinion there are two ways of viewing "God"

God in religious terms is the creation of all that is in line with their beliefs.

God on a non personal level is the idea that however the Universe was created, science included, that THAT is God.

Can you give an argument as to why these are mutually exclusive views, or why they are the only two? As JSPB points out it's actually not difficult to reconcile the two concepts of God-the-universe-creator and God-of-religious-belief. So, what if they are the same thing? Can you give an argument to say why they are not?

Irn-Bru wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:They are not because IMO the universe was not created how any religion would say.

Religions typically aren't in the business of giving the scientific description, no. But I still don't see how it follows that they must be concerned with some other concept. There's just no contradiction here.

So for me they are separate. For someone who is religious they would possibly view them as being the same.

This attempt to make it all subjective misses the point. Whether or not there's a God doesn't depend on what feels right to me or what works for you.

Of course, if you really mean this, then it turns out it wasn't "reality" on the side of the guy looking at the clouds — it was just a gut feeling all along. ;)

*crickets*

Yawn

Still waiting on something substantive.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:19 pm

Can someone give me the condensed version?
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Can someone give me the condensed version?

The condensed version is that everyone has very strong opinions but for the most part they don't know what they are talking about. Actually, now that I think of it, that's the condensed version of every thread on every forum all over the Internet. :twisted:

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:55 pm

In-Bru

It's not that I am avoiding your questions, I simply just don't want to engage in 3 different discussions at one time. I lack the proper copy/paste/quote/post picture skills. If I was faster at that I wouldn't mind.

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:59 pm

cvillehog wrote:

The condensed version is that everyone has very strong opinions but for the most part they don't know what they are talking about. Actually, now that I think of it, that's the condensed version of every thread on every forum all over the Internet. :twisted:

This...

I know what I want to say but I can't put it into context that everyone would understand. I end up trying to point something out, then someone picks a part of what I said that wasn't my point to begin with. Then I end up not being able to discuss my main point and nothing gets accomplished.

I do this texting all the time with my GF. Now that I think about it, a lot of the discussions on this board I have with people are a lot like the ones with her. Nothing gets accomplished.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:10 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:In-Bru

It's not that I am avoiding your questions, I simply just don't want to engage in 3 different discussions at one time.

I didn't hit you with these all at once. These were quite spread out since the beginning of the discussion. The first one even comes from the other thread, before this one was split off.

Look, it doesn't bother me if you don't respond. It's just that when someone takes the somewhat arrogant stance of having the reality-based position versus all the loons, I'm going to hold them to a higher standard. If the logic and rigor isn't there to back it up . . . well, I think that speaks for itself.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:18 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:In-Bru

It's not that I am avoiding your questions, I simply just don't want to engage in 3 different discussions at one time.

I didn't hit you with these all at once. These were quite spread out since the beginning of the discussion. The first one even comes from the other thread, before this one was split off.

Look, it doesn't bother me if you don't respond. It's just that when someone takes the somewhat arrogant stance of having the reality-based position versus all the loons, I'm going to hold them to a higher standard. If the logic and rigor isn't there to back it up . . . well, I think that speaks for itself.

I understand where you are coming from. See, I was asked what I thought God was, then I was asked how I view separate gods, then I was asked if there were more than two ways or if they could be combined. I am actually tired of being badgered with the same question over and over and over.

We could refresh the question if you would like, but I'm not going to keep explaining myself over and over until you or anyone else finally finds a point to argue. If you would like to disprove what I say then fine, but I will not have someone keep digging. I am not sure I explained that the way I wanted but I am hoping you are smokin what i'm rollin.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:37 pm

ATX says he's an atheist and it's fact based unlike people who believe in God. But it's only his opinion so he doesn't need to defend it. Though he said he would anyway but hasn't.

Irn-Bru poked him with a stick, but he stayed rolled in a ball.

Deadskins is a Christian who's disinclined to worry about dogma.

Kaz believes in God but can't decide if he's a Christian who doesn't believe in dogma or if he's not a Christian but he believes in a God with Christian values.

The Crusades were bad.

I think I covered it.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:57 pm

You forgot the outbreak of *crickets*
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:00 pm

1niksder wrote:You forgot the outbreak of *crickets*

I paraphrased:

kaz wrote:Irn-Bru poked him with a stick, but he stayed rolled in a ball
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Came across this today, and it seemed apropos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... d74#t=343s

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:09 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:I am actually tired of being badgered with the same question over and over and over.

Then how about answering the original question which started the whole discussion? How do you explain everything that is?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to The Lounge