Neil Young

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
DarthMonk

Neil Young

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Going tonight. General admission.

The most prolific singer/songwriter of my generation. (Dylan is my older brother's generation)

Comments?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Dylan is everyone's generation. I love Neil. He spans generations too. When I saw the thread title, my heart sunk, I thought you were going to say he died.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:34 pm

CSNY. Heart of Gold. "Look at mother nature on the run"...and I never did understand that song. Always great.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:44 pm

Southern man don't need him around, anyhow.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:29 pm

welch wrote: Heart of Gold. "Look at mother nature on the run"...and I never did understand that song.

That lyric is from After the Gold Rush.

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:44 am

On their first song they jammed for 10 minutes before he started to sing. They totally rocked the house. Great show. At a car dealer in Laurel now getting a free oil change while I drink coffee. Neil is writing on tour and mixing in new songs. Killer show!

Rock and Roll will never die.

DarthMonk

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:22 pm

DarthMonk wrote:On their first song they jammed for 10 minutes before he started to sing. They totally rocked the house. Great show. At a car dealer in Laurel now getting a free oil change while I drink coffee. Neil is writing on tour and mixing in new songs. Killer show!

DarthMonk

Hey hey, my my...

But can anyone explain "Goldrush"?

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:37 am

By Chris Richards, Published: December 1

How does Neil Young make such mean music feel so good?

At a sold-out Patriot Center on Friday night, the 67-year-old rock icon showed up in lumberjack plaid, faded jeans and his stomping boots. His de facto expression was a grimace. And with the help of Crazy Horse, his on-and-off band of the past 44 years, Young pressed an ecstatic energy out of his weather-beaten songs as if wringing happiness from an oily rag.

Young, guitarist Frank “Poncho” Sampedro and bassist Billy Talbot had plenty of stage to roam during their two-hour performance, but they spent most of the night huddled near Ralph Molina’s drum kit, cinched by the psychic lasso that holds so many great bands together.

The foursome are touring behind “Psychedelic Pill,” a vast and absorbing jam-quest of an album on which some tracks last longer than most flavors of chewing gum. It’s actually the Horse’s second album this year; in June, the band dropped “Americana,” a pleasing collection of folk standards that now feels like requisite stretching before the 87-minute marathon of “Psychedelic Pill.”

The finest song on “Pill” was a standout on Friday, too. “Walk Like a Giant” spanned 25 minutes, coming to life with a chipper melody whistled by Young and Sampedro, and finishing with tremors of harsh, end-of-the-world feedback. Somewhere near the song’s dizzying center, Young mewled strong words: “Whenever I see the big fire coming / Coming to burn down all my ideas/ I try to hold down to my thinking/ And remember how it feels.”

Young isn’t getting old. He’s being attacked by the future. And Friday night, he was rejoicing in the past, surrounded by familiar stage props — comically oversized guitar amps tended to by roadies in white lab coats. (It was all a nod to the look of Crazy Horse’s “Rust Never Sleeps” tour from three decades back.)

But this performance wasn’t a smug nostalgia trip. Young played with an intensity that made it seem like the past is worth protecting and that rock improvisation is still worth getting lost in.

His solos were abundant, but they never felt like daredevil stunts. Instead, Young navigated the fretboard as if trying to burrow deeper into the song, or trying to disappear inside of it, or maybe trying to inspect every corner of it until he could find a way out.

He knew when to wander and when to punch. After some goofy chatter about time travel, Young launched into “Cinnamon Girl,” its riffs as taut and crunchy as they were in 1969. A loose and lurching “Cortez the Killer” was just as gripping for opposite reasons. It didn’t sound like the band was playing the song so much as surviving it.

The surplus jamming sent a few fans home early, but not many. Those that bailed toward the end of the show missed a serrated version of “Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black).”

“It’s better to burn out, than to fade away,” Young sang, hair flying, eyelids clenched, refusing to fade.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:47 am

welch wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:On their first song they jammed for 10 minutes before he started to sing. They totally rocked the house. Great show. At a car dealer in Laurel now getting a free oil change while I drink coffee. Neil is writing on tour and mixing in new songs. Killer show!

DarthMonk

Hey hey, my my...

Sounds to me like it's about humans having destroyed the earth, so aliens are coming and taking a chosen few to repopulate the race on another planet.

Hail to the Redskins!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:02 pm

Deadskins wrote:
welch wrote:

DarthMonk

Hey hey, my my...

Sounds to me like it's about humans having destroyed the earth, so aliens are coming and taking a chosen few to repopulate the race on another planet.

That's as close as I ever got, too. Something like the background to Joss Wheedon's Firefly / Serenity.

Return to The Lounge