Trayvon Martin

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
DarthMonk

Trayvon Martin

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:02 am

I was at the dentist and read this in TIME. I found it interesting.

The Zimmerman Mind-Set

Why Black Men are the Permanent Undercaste

By Michelle Alexander Monday, July 29, 2013

Back in 1903, in his groundbreaking book The Souls of Black Folk, W.E.B. DuBois argued that the defining element of African-American life was being viewed as a perpetual problem--one's very existence as a problem to be dealt with, managed and controlled but never solved. More than 100 years later, DuBois' rhetorical question seems as relevant as ever: How does it feel to be a problem?

There is a profound difference, of course, between having problems--which all people are allowed--and being a problem. One of the reasons that Trayvon Martin's tragic death resonated so powerfully with millions of people of color, black and brown men in particular, is that it was one of those rare situations in this so-called era of colorblindness when suddenly the curtain was pulled back. All the usual rationalizations for routinely treating young black men as problems and up to no good, were stripped away. There was just a young teenager on the phone with a girl, carrying a bag of Skittles and an iced tea, and he was viewed for no logical reason as scary, out of place, on drugs--someone who needs to be confronted, interrogated and put in place.

Our criminal-justice system has for decades been infected with a mind-set that views black boys and men in particular as a problem to be dealt with, managed and controlled. This mind-set has fueled a brutal war on drugs, a get-tough movement and a prison-building boom unprecedented in world history.

Today, millions of people of color are stopped, interrogated and frisked as they are walking to school, driving to church or heading home from the store. In 2011 alone, the New York City police department stopped and frisked more than 600,000 people. The overwhelming majority were black and brown men who were innocent of any crime or infraction. Their mere existence was cause for concern, just as the sight of Trayvon Martin walking leisurely through his own neighborhood was enough to make George Zimmerman call the police.

Studies have consistently shown that people of color are no more likely to use or sell illegal drugs than whites, yet black people have been arrested and incarcerated at grossly disproportionate rates during the 40-year-old war on drugs. If people who abuse illegal drugs were viewed as people who have real problems--rather than people who are problems--then drug treatment would be the obvious and rational response rather than putting people struggling with addiction in cages, treating them like animals and stamping them with a lifelong badge of inferiority.

Once released from prison, most people find that their punishment is far from over. Felons are typically stripped of the very rights supposedly won in the civil rights movement, including the right to vote, the right to serve on juries and the right to be free of legal discrimination in employment, housing, access to education and public benefits. They're relegated to a permanent undercaste. Unable to find work or housing, most wind up back in prison within a few years. Black men with criminal records are the most severely disadvantaged group in the labor market. In some places, more than 50% of people are in this demographic.

Research shows that racial disparities in violent crime disappear when you control for joblessness. Unemployed men of all races are equally likely to be violent, particularly if they are chronically without work. But rather than viewing high levels of violent crime in ghettoized communities as a symptom of the deeper economic and social ills, black men and boys are viewed as the problem itself and treated accordingly. Jobs are promised but almost never delivered, and schools are allowed to fail as ever bigger prisons are built to manage "the problem."

Trayvon Martin will not be the last black boy who dies or goes to jail or gives up on his life because he was viewed and treated as nothing but a problem. We are all guilty of being too quiet for too long. Let it be said hereafter that we were quiet no more.

Alexander, a civil rights lawyer, is the author of The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

kazoo

Re: Trayvon Martin

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:09 am

DarthMonk wrote:Trayvon Martin will not be the last black boy who dies or goes to jail or gives up on his life because he was viewed and treated as nothing but a problem

I don't think Zimmerman had a concept of him as anything, so this is kinda irrelevant.

As for the implication blacks are free game, the facts don't fit your view.

1) If you're a white in this country (BTW, Zimmerman is Hispanic), you are 40 times more likely to be attacked by a black then if you are black your odds of being attacked by a white.

2) Blacks in Florida use stand your ground far more frequently than whites. Though again factually stand your ground was only a media discussion, Zimmerman didn't use that defense and he wasn't white.

3) Blacks in Florida are more likely to be acquitted based on stand your ground than whites are.

I realize though that one national story by a biased media with an agenda is far more important than actual analysis, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:02 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
[size=150]DarthMonk???[/size] wrote:Trayvon Martin will not be the last black boy who dies or goes to jail or gives up on his life because he was viewed and treated as nothing but a problem

I don't think Zimmerman had a concept of him as anything, so this is kinda irrelevant.

As for the implication blacks are free game, the facts don't fit your view.

1) If you're a white in this country (BTW, Zimmerman is Hispanic), you are 40 times more likely to be attacked by a black then if you are black your odds of being attacked by a white.

2) Blacks in Florida use stand your ground far more frequently than whites. Though again factually stand your ground was only a media discussion, Zimmerman didn't use that defense and he wasn't white.

3) Blacks in Florida are more likely to be acquitted based on stand your ground than whites are.

I realize though that one national story by a biased media with an agenda is far more important than actual analysis, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Just making sure you know that your quote of me is really my quote of Zimmerman. It's not my view. It's Zimmerman's and I put it out here for people to read. I'm not arguing for or against.

[size=150]DarthMonk[/size] wrote:I was at the dentist and read this in TIME. I found it interesting.

... and that's all he wrote!!!

[size=150]Michelle Zimmerman[/size] wrote:Trayvon Martin will not be the last black boy who dies or goes to jail or gives up on his life because he was viewed and treated as nothing but a problem.

Please don't do this. If it was unintentional then, of course, I have no problem.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:31 am

DarthMonk wrote:Please don't do this. If it was unintentional then, of course, I have no problem

Ah, it was unintentional. Whenever I see his name it's accompanied with how whites are free to kill blacks. I think Zimmerman is parroting what he thinks he's supposed to say since he's so publicly hated and that makes him sound like his accusers. I have no respect for Zimmerman, I think he's a pathetic little man.

I also think he was probably guilty even though there is no way he should have been tried much less convicted because there was no where near sufficient evidence to convict him. I think the civil suit has a decent chance though as the standard is far lower.

Out of 14 blacks murdered in this country, 13 of them are murdered by other blacks. Sounds like it's whites they should be afraid of...

The other one is murdered by all non-black groups combined, not just whites.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:05 am

Based on the evidence, the civil suit is gonna need some help...
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:40 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Please don't do this. If it was unintentional then, of course, I have no problem

Ah, it was unintentional.

My bad too. I coulda been clearer. If I'd had a comment at the end I would've italicized everything Zim wrote.

I'll do better moving forward - maybe use the quote function more.

:up:

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:23 am

Did you proof this, DM?
DarthMonk wrote:
[size=150]Michelle Zimmerman[/size] wrote:Trayvon Martin will not be the last black boy who dies or goes to jail or gives up on his life because he was viewed and treated as nothing but a problem.

Please don't do this. If it was unintentional then, of course, I have no problem.

The author's name is Michelle ALEXANDER... NOT ZIMMERMAN. It is NOT the view of anyone named Zimmerman.

"It was unintentional"... you made the same error thrice...
DarthMonk wrote: It's not my view. It's Zimmerman's
errr... that's ALEXANDER

DarthMonk wrote:If I'd had a comment at the end I would've italicized everything Zim wrote.
Yeah... smells like something rather Freudian... because I'm pretty sure that "Zim" wrote nothing in that article!

Yeah... I'm kinda raggin on you... I had to read several times, looking for the statements you attributed to Zimmerman... but just couldn't find them... only to realize that they were simply the cynical opinion of the "civil rights attorney, Michelle ALEXANDER... not Zimmerman's at all. :wink:

You messed this one up, bad, bro! :thump:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:47 pm

^^The Alexander Mind-Set!!

One of those times I needed to read/cut-and-paste slower, huh??!!

Thanks.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:52 pm

DarthMonk wrote:^^The Alexander Mind-Set!!

One of those times I needed to read/cut-and-paste slower, huh??!!

Thanks.

You, sir, remain a true classic...

I mean that in the best sense possible! :rock:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to The Lounge