six strings

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
aka Evil Hog

six strings

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:12 pm

any of you guys in here play guitar? i'd love to compare taste and styles if so. only been playin about 2 years so i still really suck, but i keep practicing hard everyday, and little by little, i'm getting better. :? just takes forever, but the reward is well worth it.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:02 pm

Wish I did, but unfortunately I had a fight with a radial arm saw about 18 years ago and the saw won. My left thumb is shorter by a knuckle and it is hard to grip the guitar and press properly on the strings.

I did play alto sax for a while :)
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:07 pm

I play Hailskins. I am into the heavy, heavy stuff but I also know a lot about SRV, Hendrix and all the like. Any guitar student should. Anyway....the reward is very well worth it -- I've been playing on and off for years so I'm real interested in this thread.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:16 pm

I've been learning, but have been stalled by going to college full-time and working at UPS 5 days a week.

I like ALL types of music. I love music, and I think anyone who LOVES music can ATLEAST respect all genres.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:01 am

woohit, the heavy, heavy stuff describes me. my main influence is probably kerry king, and jeff hanneman. i love the way they work together, and the *sh$t* is heavy as balls! :twisted: other than slayer, i like megadeth, pre 1992 metallica, pantera.. etc, etc. i'm not really into "nu metal" or drop tuning. i like the music, but theres not a challenge there. i'm just starting to learn a few solo licks, hardest thing i've every tried to do. it trully is an art. i play all ibanez, got that new RGT42 in grey pewter, it's a sweet neck through body. got an S470 the thin body style, it's super sweet too. and tube amps are god, nothing else even comes close!!!!!!! MESA/BOOGIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got a triple rectifier half stack, UNLEASH THE DEMON :twisted: :twisted: still makin monthly payments on this bi-atch. $2600 for an amp is outrageous. tryin to get into some effects, thinkin about buyin an RP 300. anyway i could go on, and on, and on, but i gotta get to work. i'll post ya later.
THN's resident jerk.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:35 am

I used to when I was young and single and no kids. Unfortunately no time for me anymore. If I do have time, I'm trying to catch up on our Skins.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:44 pm

Hell YEAH! Hailskins!

Other than the REDSKINS I bleed metal as well. Those influences are right down my alley. I love sla|yer! War at the Warfield is the only DVD I've watched just about since it came out.

You have a good setup man. Mesa is the $#@% for sure. Triple Rec huh? $$$$ but worth it.

I got a ESP viper 100 suped up with a Dimebucker and a Epiphone Zakk Custom. I play through the Randall Warhead and it ain't no triple rec but no amp I've ever heard can out distort it alone. It has BALLZ too! As far as effect go there are a lot of good ones out there. I just play through that Warhead and the Dime Wah.

Can you tell I like PanterA? haha.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:33 am

woohit, randall is the exception to the tube amp rule, dimebag's sound rocks. i fell in love with the massive amount of tone that comes with tube. my triple rec is 150 watts, plenty of power, therefore i can play it about half power, get absolutly no feedback what so ever, and even at half i can still easily hang with a crate excalibur stack (which my counterpart HAD.....crackhead) that has twice the feedback i do, and still have got plenty of volume to jam with a heavy drummer playin on a full kit.. the recs are great solo heads(not that i can use it to its potential) in that they are three channel with adjustible solo option on each channel.(meaning you can get some extra juice by kicking a button on the footswitch) the price is indeed the fall back. i'm still makin monthly payments :roll: you working on any songs? i'm tryin to get through war ensemble minus the leads, and not only am i having trouble, so is my drummer :? slayer just plays with such velocity. :twisted:
THN's resident jerk.

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:53 pm

yep sla|yer is sooo fast. Last slayer song I had to re-learn was Raining Blood. I forgot it and wanted to know it again. War Ensemble is a great song. The main riff is easy but the begining is a workout for sure. I try to downpick the chorus like Jeff does to keep it heavier but its rough. Gotta warm up good for that one.

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:12 pm

raining blood is awesome. the "spider" riff is off the hook. i have to go by feel on riffs like that, they are too hard to count.
THN's resident jerk.

aka Sarcastic Hog

Postby skinz74 » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:06 am

I started playing in '88...a huge Anthrax fan. Loved Scott Ian and Danny Spitz. First axe was a Mick Mars series Kramer with a sweet set of humbuckers and a Kahler Spyder tremola system that I've yet to come across again. I've played some garage bands and similiar music that you've listed. Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer, Overkill, Nuclear Assault, to name a few. Seen Anthrax, Megadeth, and Slayer in a free concert at a fairgrounds in Deercreek, Indiana. Was mindblowing. Had a Kerry King pick bounce off my hands and nearly cleared the row out trying to get it. Right now I don't have an electric. Previously I owned a BEAUTIFUL Jackson custom, 24 fret, neckthru, reverse headstock, etc. The sound came from a Peavey 2-12 super stereo chorus. Nothing fancy, cause the $ of the guitar nearly wiped me out. It was good enouph for a garage band. As far as playing, the last Slayer song I tackled was the Anti-christ. Tough beast, but not bad once you get it down. Only thing I can say is persistence is key. It seems like the older I get, the more I forget. So, keep churn'nin away on the strings.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:48 am

I had a fight with a radial arm saw about 18 years ago

One of the first songs you learn can be "I fought the saw and the.....saw won."

Ouch. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Seriously, I hope you healed well. I had a bad leg injury several years ago (in '84) and it still hurts when it rains.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:08 pm

a huge Anthrax fan.

:rock: madhouse.... bring the noise...... :rock: around the timeframe of 90-92, was all about anthrax, and faith no more..... those were the days.... i need to get some anthrax sheet music
THN's resident jerk.

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:44 am

Let's not leave out one of the best "HeadBanger" bands ever. AC/DC - I for one was on their Highway to Hell in college in the 70s.
:rock:
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:09 pm

one of the first songs i learned was "back in black". not exactly vintage ac/dc, but its easy to play, i also learned "ride on" about that same time. scott was way better than johnson, too bad bands don't really get famous until somebody dies.... go figure :?
THN's resident jerk.

Return to The Lounge