six strings

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:23 pm

OK, I don't play guitar but I gotta get in on this thread 'cause I love all these bands man.

Megadeath, Anthrax, Slayer. :rock:

Love old AC-DC too, though I'm not overly fond of anything after Back in Black. Prefer the Bon Scott days ultimately.

Love old Metallica too, though not overly fond of anything after And Justice for All. Been to 3 monsters of rock concerts to see Metallica and saw them with the Cult in '89 in what was a surprisingly kick ass show. Ride the Lightning or Kill Em All are never far from my active CD slot.

Black Sabbath is never far from the active slot either... and long before it was fashionable to like Ozzy. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Paranoid are a staple.

And I'm Canadian, so I was curious if any of you liked Rush? Wicked band live... just phenomenal amount of noise from 3 guys... Peart is god on the drums.

And despite my love of some good old fashioned rattle your brain hard driving thrash, I will always love Pink Floyd above all others. I have over 100 floyd CDs with bootlegs... got at least one bootleg from every year from 67 to 79. Got some fairly rare stuff too (some on vinyl too!).

Sorry to intrude on your thread but I'm just jealous that I'm a musical idiot and you're all playing tunes that I love.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:19 pm

Ok now that BH has brought in an oldie like Pink Floyd (and a goodie) - no mention yet of Led Zepplin?

I remember crankin them in jr. high and just rockin out. Still sound good after all those years.

My taste went much more eclectic in the late seventies - Punk and New Wave. Love the Ramones, Talking Heads, Clash. They all kicked it in one fashion or another. I have tons of vinyl, picture LPs and even some 3inch CDs if you can believe that. Keith Richards "Talk is Cheap", 3-3 inch CDs in a metal can - very cool.

And if I am going to take this thread into another area - Echo and The Bunneymen, The Cure, Throwing Muses, The English Beat, and The Smiths (early stuff) all cranked as far as I'm concerned.

Neil Young - the man "Hey Hey, My My - Rock and Roll with Never Die"
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:49 am

... funny, I loved a lot of the Punk/New Wave in HS too... Ramones, Clash (London Calling might be the best double album ever pressed IMO), some more Industrial type stuff too like Ministry and Skinny Puppy, and harder punk like the Anti-Nowhere League and Death Sentence. And can't ever leave the Sex Pistols out of a punk thread.

We also had a really good local punk scene in my little city in the mid to late eighties with bands that had some more global success too like the Demics, 63 munroe, The Dayglo Abortions, and The Forgotten Rebels. I was Social Director on Student Council and I got the Rebels to play one of our dances. It was bad. They were totally off their rockers. They were shooting up in a high school change room... ah man, it was a bad scene.

Good dance though :-)

I've never touched Gin since :-)
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:59 am

"A Brain is a Terrible Thing to Taste" - Ministry
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:44 pm

For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica

But for my all time favorite group - Rush - who could believe that only three men produce such quality sound and for so long?

Xanadu by Rush is just an awesome spectacle.

Shame on you for not mentioning your fellow Canadians Mark :)

Neil Peart is the God of Percussion :)
Rich in Roanoke

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:53 am

agreed on Peart....2112 rules! :rock:

Mark did mention RUSH
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Postby skinzfreek89 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:36 pm

hell yeah! i jam once in a while...wut kinda guitar do u guys have? i play lotsa zeppelin, new stuff, all that kinda stuff. wut r ur tastes and junk? :rock:
~sKiNzFrEeK~
GO SKINS! BEAT BOYS!

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:24 pm

The only thing I have left is my Washburn semi. I sold my Gretsch lime green "Country Gentleman" when we had our first baby in '89. Got $3,800 for it, so it was worth doing.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

piglet

Postby Insano Hog » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:44 pm

I'm a student in high school and currently in the school jazz band, however jazz music is not near the top of my favorites list. I play pretty much the modern stuff like RHCP, U2, and Weezer, and ocassionaly like to play some of the acoustic stuff like John Mayer and DMB, which I know conflicts with most of the musical interests of the previous posts. However, I've learned 10 or so Led Zeppelin songs!I've been playing for about 7 years and I currently have a Black Epiphone Riviera, my personal favortie guitar, for my Jazz stuff and play with an Epiphone Explorer for the harder stuff. I also have a decent Fender acoustic.

Re: six strings

Postby Brandon777 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:53 pm

hailskins666 wrote:any of you guys in here play guitar? i'd love to compare taste and styles if so. only been playin about 2 years so i still really suck, but i keep practicing hard everyday, and little by little, i'm getting better. :? just takes forever, but the reward is well worth it.
I've been playing guitar and bass for about 16 yrs.
Let us all gather around and drink the Cooley-Aid of the Redskins.

Return to The Lounge