American hostage reportedly beheaded

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
Aussie Hog

Postby Amberion » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:27 pm

My condolances go to Paul Johnson's family and friends.

I would like to give the point of view of someone from outside the US.

The whole Middle East/US thing is a difficult one to know exactly what is going on.

I think that the US were justified in attacking Iraq in 1991 when they invaded Kuwait. There was no justification for Saddam to invade and the US did the right thing to defenda country that could not defend itself. Bush Sr stopped at the point he should have IMHO.

The invasion of Afghanistan was totally justified as the government there was harbouring and promoting those responsible for the attacks on 11 September. The whole world supported this action (including nearly all muslim governments).

Then Bush Jr and his cronies decide to invade Iraq with no provocation or reason except that the Iraqi's were going to sign preferential Oil deals with Russia and France. (I think this is what Chris is trying to get across)

Your government first said that it was because Iraq had weapons of mas destruction (since proven to NOT exist) with no proof of these weapons. Then it tried saying that Iraq had close ties and supported Al-Qaeda. This also been proven to have never existed and that the US intelligence communities had advised Bush Jr that they did not exist.

Now I think that the world would have actually supported the US more if they had said they wanted to go in and remove Saddam's regime because they are a mob of murderous bastards and wanted to help the persecuted southern tribes or the northern Kurds.

The people who did this despicable deed to Paul are only able to get support now because they dont see why the US attacked Iraq
I am Grey: I stand between the candle and the star.
We are Grey: We stand between the darkness and the light

+++

Postby NikiH » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:27 am

First of all you don't live here. You have no idea the level of fear we experienced on 9/11. I live VERY close to DC. On the day this happened I actually was at my in laws house. It is not even 1 mile to Dulles Airport, where the plane that hit the Pentagon came from. I had friends inside the Pentagon. So if you think that it's ok for you to decide this war is wrong because you are not satisfied with the weapons of mass destruction or chemical weapons they have found, I'm sorry but I do not think it matters. The reasoning for invading this country was completely obvious to all of us when we did it, we were scared. We were protecting our own. Link to Osama or not, Saddam has expressed his hatred for us. We fought in the UN to get them in there. To force him to get rid of his weapons. They wouldn't go for it. So were we supposed to sit back and wait for him to think "Hey Osama managed an attack on US soil, I'm gonna try it" NO FREAKING WAY!
If this is about oil, you tell me why gas prices have sky rocketed since this has been going on. Wouldn't it benefit our President to have oil prices lower prior to a huge election. Your logic just does not make sense. As far as the Russian and French dealings with Iraq, I think that they are in the wrong here. Since when is it ok to deal with a country that supports killing and murdering just to turn a quick buck for your nation? I don't see how your logic works at all!
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

----------

Postby Steve Spurrier III » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:35 am

NikiH wrote:Wouldn't it benefit our President to have oil prices lower prior to a huge election?

The night is still young...
I'm bored, I'm broke, and I'm back.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:20 am

All I know is in NW Arkansas prices have dropped almost 20 cents in the last one or two weeks.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:55 am

This one is different...here's a guy who left the US and is on record as saying he didn't like the way things were run here in the US. He even embraced the Islamic culture, by no means am I saying he deserves what he got. The reason I say this is different is he's a guy who embraces their religion and they still do this to him. What that says to me is that their hate for us is greater then their love for Islam
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Postby Brandon777 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:31 pm

Amberion wrote:My condolances go to Paul Johnson's family and friends.

I would like to give the point of view of someone from outside the US.

The whole Middle East/US thing is a difficult one to know exactly what is going on.

I think that the US were justified in attacking Iraq in 1991 when they invaded Kuwait. There was no justification for Saddam to invade and the US did the right thing to defenda country that could not defend itself. Bush Sr stopped at the point he should have IMHO.

The invasion of Afghanistan was totally justified as the government there was harbouring and promoting those responsible for the attacks on 11 September. The whole world supported this action (including nearly all muslim governments).

Then Bush Jr and his cronies decide to invade Iraq with no provocation or reason except that the Iraqi's were going to sign preferential Oil deals with Russia and France. (I think this is what Chris is trying to get across)

Your government first said that it was because Iraq had weapons of mas destruction (since proven to NOT exist) with no proof of these weapons. Then it tried saying that Iraq had close ties and supported Al-Qaeda. This also been proven to have never existed and that the US intelligence communities had advised Bush Jr that they did not exist.

Now I think that the world would have actually supported the US more if they had said they wanted to go in and remove Saddam's regime because they are a mob of murderous bastards and wanted to help the persecuted southern tribes or the northern Kurds.

The people who did this despicable deed to Paul are only able to get support now because they dont see why the US attacked Iraq
Don't jump to conclusions by saying there was no ties between Al Qaeda and Iraq. There is a huge contraversy right now in America about the 9-11 commission and the far-left liberal media in America spreading these lies for political purposes to damage the Bush administration. There has been findings of Al Qaeda terrorists in Iraq prior to our invasion. Also, Russia's president Putin said yesterday that Russian intelligence showed that Saddam was plotting terrorist attacks in the United States prior to our invasion. This war is justified. Thanks to the Bush administration, an evil dictator is behind bars waiting for justice to be served.
Let us all gather around and drink the Cooley-Aid of the Redskins.

scooter

Postby Scooter » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:40 pm

I can appreciate the perspective from someone outside the US. Saddam was given chance, after chance, after chance - 14 times over. He snubbed his nose at the UN. The testicular-challenged UN Security Council was too weak to act. I don't think we can let any terrorists, terrorist banker, terror supporter balk with any Security Council resolution. The UN has become a joke. A weak-minded, weak-kneed, corrupt organization which is perfectly willing to let terrorists take over the world.

Put it this way - A rattlesnake has crawled into your apartment. You inform your landlord. The landlord pretends to act, says a lot of things to the snake... but doesn't even actually DO anything. At some point, you need to remove the snake before he slithers into your child's room and injects his poison into your child.
It's the landlords duty - but what if he fails to act? Saddam got better than he deserved. The UN is pathetic -
consider the source of international news.

Return to The Lounge