Something to make you happy Chris Luva Luva!

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
+++

Something to make you happy Chris Luva Luva!

Postby NikiH » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:27 am

I heard a report on the radio yesterday that our U.S Postal Service is about to receive a large order of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. The minivans will be tested for delivery purposes in various cities. The technology is there. And GM is marketing these vehicles at least to the government. Good news. We just need a commercial acceptance of this technology and then we will get it to the consumer level!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:43 pm

Thats great news. Im also glad that the company I work for, UPS also has some things in the works. I know it'll take time but any effort is welcomed to end all of this foolishness over oil.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby General Failure » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:12 pm

I wonder where the refueling stations are going.
I got your number. I steal your thunder. I got your mother's maiden name tattooed on my arm.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:55 pm

Its going to be a drastic change. Something that can't happen over night. What bothers me is that Reagen to my knowledge, Bill, and Bush have had oppurtunities to push this thing. I think we need to push this thing like JFK pushed Apollo, thats the only way this thing is going to get up off of the ground. But Bush and a lot of other politicians from what I've been told are products of oil money. Oil is a big profit and of course those in control aren't going to want to change. Thats what I was trying to convey in the other topic.

BUT PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG. IM YOUNG AND JUST REALLY LEARNING AND UNDERSTANDING POLITICS. For the past 19 years the only politics that existed in my world were my parents rules. So please don't go and blast me in any other forums for my youthful ignorance"
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

+++

Postby NikiH » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:10 pm

I think that Bush and everyone else is this country is not used to a technology any different then gasolene vehicles. We all need time to adjust to this. I agree that we need to explore this aspect of energy, however I don't believe that the party you belong to has anything to do with it. And I believe this goes beyond an environmental issue. We just need to a country figure out how to get this excepted by everyone. I can tell you that my 78 year old grandmother would not easily except this change. Nor would my 19 year old Brother in law. It's not something that everyone knows or understands quite yet. To me the responsiblity for educating is not only the governments but also the car manufacturers. Sorry I didn't mean to go on and on. LOL And Chris I'm sorry if it seemed I attacked you about the beheading. I just saw alot of people blaming our President for it, and unfortunately it enraged me, mainly because that was probably partially the motivation for the act itself by the horrible men who did it!
Hey GF Hydrogen cell vehicles do not need refueling to my knowledge. They are slightly more expensive but can run on the same hydrogen cell to power the vehicle for the life of the vehicle. There is also the same technology for homes. Imagine. No electric bills. No stopping at gas stations. How great life would be.
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

Hog

Postby General Failure » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:01 pm

NikiH wrote:I think that Bush and everyone else is this country is not used to a technology any different then gasolene vehicles. We all need time to adjust to this. I agree that we need to explore this aspect of energy

People have been experimenting with alternative fuels since before petroleum was the dominant fuel source. Obviously coal and steam come to mind for me, I'm a train nut.

Rudolph Diesel showed off his compression ignition engine at the Paris Exhibition Fair in 1898. It ran on peanut oil. He was big on cheap, renewable fuel sources. It wasn't until the 1920's, after his unexplained death in Germany, that his engine design was converted the fossil fuel consumption. Ford's early cars ran on ethanol, but that didn't last very long.

Electric engines have been around even longer than that. Thomas Davenport built a model electric locomotive in 1834. It would take another decade before there was an engine that could carry people along the rails. Electric cars didn't take off until 1890. By 1910 gasoline engines had surpassed the performance of electric, so they were pretty much forgotten about outside of railroads and subways.

Things are slowly getting better though. I don't mean those poor-compromise hybrid engines. I mean the NHRA no longer lists their regulations for electric engines seperate from their regular regulations. Rednecks have always been ahead of the curve when it comes to fuels though. They've been using alcohol forever and french fry grease for about ten years.
I got your number. I steal your thunder. I got your mother's maiden name tattooed on my arm.

Return to The Lounge