Times: Wizards May Lose Dixon To Bobcats

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
Junior Hog

Times: Wizards May Lose Dixon To Bobcats

Postby Jake » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:23 am

Wizards may lose Dixon to Bobcats

By John N. Mitchell
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Former Maryland guard Juan Dixon, easily one of the most liked players on the Washington Wizards, might have played his last game for the team.
Dixon, drafted with the 17th pick overall in 2002, might be too tempting to pass up when the Charlotte Bobcats begin to build their roster for their initial season via today's expansion draft.
"I'd have to say that of the players the Wizards have made available, Juan is probably the most enticing," a league source speaking under the condition of anonymity said.
Although teams don't have to make the list of their available players public, Dixon, Jerry Stackhouse, Christian Laettner and Lonny Baxter reportedly were left unprotected by the Wizards. However, Wizards president of basketball operations Ernie Grunfeld would not confirm that.
Meanwhile, most of the Wizards' focus has been on Thursday, when they have the No. 5 overall selection in the NBA Draft.
"This is completely different from the draft," Grunfeld said of the expansion draft. "We just turned in our list and started to concentrate on the draft."
Stackhouse, who played at North Carolina, is the best player on the list. However, the Bobcats are likely to stay away from players with large contracts, and Stackhouse still has more than $22 million remaining on his contract through 2007.
Laettner, who will turn 35 this summer, was suspended for five games last season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy — something that won't go over well in Billy Graham's hometown. He is in the final year of a contract that will pay him approximately $6.2 million. By the end of last season, Laettner played sparingly, and he clearly doesn't fit in Washington's plans.
Dixon led the Terrapins to their lone NCAA men's basketball championship in 2002. In his two seasons with the Wizards, Dixon has averaged 8.3 points and 1.6 assists a game. He is scheduled to make $1.1 million next season.
Last season Dixon was forced to battle with Steve Blake, a former Maryland teammate and good friend, for playing time in the Wizards' backcourt behind point guard Gilbert Arenas and Larry Hughes. Blake appeared to be the better point guard, but Dixon is a better scorer.
Teams are permitted to protect eight players from the Bobcats. Charlotte will select 14 players overall but just one player from any roster.
This season the Bobcats will have a salary cap of about $30 million, which will be approximately two-thirds of the yet-to-be-determined salary cap for the rest of the teams in 2004-05.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/2 ... -5319r.htm

Man, I figured this would happen. This stinks to the highest magnitude. He'll be missed. I was so happy that we drafted him in 2002. He would have been big for us.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Hog

Postby JonC56 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:38 am

Yeah He was great for maryland, and he definetly brings some fans to the mci center but he dosent have a true position in the NBA. Hes to small to be a 2 (unless your Allen Iverson)and he lacks the ball handling skills and desicion making to be a 1. He has the shoot first pass scond mentality which hinders his ability to be a solid point. Also, Id rather take my chances losing dixon rather then then one of the young big men we have.
*emoticon of little yellow man mooning you*

A message to all Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys fans. (this comment was approved by jonc56)

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:22 am

I decided in 2002 that I was done with the Wizards and I was going to root for whatever team drafted Dixon.......and well I am still rooting for the stank-butt wizards.....maybe tomorrow I will be rooting for the bobcats. We have a lot of young big men and we are keeping them because we don't want another sheed/ben/webber on our hands, but Dixon played the 2 fairly well last season when he was in there,. He is a hard worker and not a basket case like Arenas. He has been just as durable if not more so than any other guard we had on the team lastyear with the exception of Mr. Blake. In short, the only wizards jersey I ever bought was Dixon and the only Bobcats jersey I will ever buy will be Dixon. Jared Jeffries sucks. Would have rather let him go.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Return to The Lounge