Where are all the Mike Williams guys now?

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
Hog

Postby USAFSkinFan » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:29 am

If we'd have resigned "core Redskin" Fred Smoot in the first place, we could have had Mike Williams and still had our CB...

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:17 am

I'm sorry about "grouping" TO with Mike Williams and I agree with JP in that this guy could be a very good even great WR only time will tell. I also echo JP's sentiment in that there will be a lot of great players in the NFL during Gibb's present tenure but, mostly, these players (who might have been "available") will be passed on by Joe because he did not feel they would be good for our team. This is not a knock on these guys it's just that Joe likes certain types and if he has a choice he will pick those guys.

Fred (& AP) were offered fair contracts based on what was being paid to others. We did not let them go they chose to go somewhere else over playing here. We do not want these types on this team or more importantly Greg and Joe do not want these types of players on this team.

IMO I'm glad that they decided to go because I think they will look back and say I could have been a Redskin. I read (now we all know how unreliable the media is) that AP is really glad to be a giant and I wish him well but I think that was a mistake and (while we will miss him) he knows he took the money over the team. To say (or imply) he was not appreciated is BS!

If we still had Smoot I'm not sure that Joe thought that Mike fit with this team - sorry!
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby John Manfreda » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:37 pm

Coachkyle wrote:Mike Williams might not be a thug, but it is he a team-player? Leaving USC that early to seek individual gain could cast some doubt in coaches' minds. I think that is the issue here. Only time will tell...

No its not, when u can be a top ten pick, u leave he had everything to loose by staying. He could have gotten hurt, bad year, it goes on forever. Was Magic Johnson a selfish player because he left early? No, by the way he went to school on his year off.

Hog

Postby John Manfreda » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:40 pm

Coachkyle wrote:Nope, I only single out guys that have the audacity to fight the NFL rule and come out as sophmores. The vast majority of these guys are immature either in their personal lives or in their gameplay. Obviously that varies by individual. Very few NBA players make it straight out of high school. MLB players at least have the minors to grow up in. I don't drool over talent to the point where I totally disregard character (like many on this board do); neither does Joe Gibbs.

Mike Williams did not fight the rule. A new rule was stated and he highered an agent to come out. Than they changed the rule. He abided by the rules.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:47 pm

John Manfreda wrote:
Coachkyle wrote:Nope, I only single out guys that have the audacity to fight the NFL rule and come out as sophmores. The vast majority of these guys are immature either in their personal lives or in their gameplay. Obviously that varies by individual. Very few NBA players make it straight out of high school. MLB players at least have the minors to grow up in. I don't drool over talent to the point where I totally disregard character (like many on this board do); neither does Joe Gibbs.

Mike Williams did not fight the rule. A new rule was stated and he highered an agent to come out. Than they changed the rule. He abided by the rules.

Slow Moe challenged the MFL and a judge ruled in his favor.
Williams saw his chance at a big payday and joined Clarett.
A appeals court overturned the first Judge's ruling and that left them out of the Draft. Had Williams not did it for the coin he wouldn't have hired a agent, and would have been able to return to school
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:32 pm

How many of us would trade Carlos for Williams right now? I count two because I'm fat.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:34 am

I wouldn't trade for him even though I want him here. Carlos is a beast and fits perfectly into this defense.

If we could have done an even swap during draft day I would have been all for it.

Carlos is a part of this team and is a great guy, getting Williams wouldnt be worth breaking up the team chemistry. There will be other good WR's.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

piggie

Postby King Cali Skin 2 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:00 pm

I don't know our run D is amazing, but our secondary feels suspect, maybe because Carolina torch us, Delome has his way with us, but we did have a lot of injuries that game. Carlos is the better team player, now our D is on lock down without many holes.

Our WR core is good enough, we just need a QB to get them the ball, With Farve, McNabb or another top QB the Skin are a Super bowl contender.
STOP SUCKING RAMSEY !!!
Go 06' Skins, Wildcard birth & please avg. more than 15 ppg.

Portis 1300 yrd.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:52 am

We still need to grasp the fact that a super QB (OR superstar players) does not necessarily mean you "win". We have been all through this before. Brady has been a big success because he plays well with the players on his team but there are a bunch (more than 5) of QBs who are "better" QBs. We just need Patrick to execute with the players we have and we need to have a scheme that suits these players.

We were an atrocious team the last few years and it will be a little longer till we are very good. We will be fine this year and we will be even better next.

Its not about the players its about the team. Our D was great without stars and our offense will be good without stars. Gibbs and Greg are all about our players playing well together.

I am so looking forward to more progress tomorrow night and next week and even more hopeful of NO injuries. We seem to be coming together well in all aspects and these next 2 weeks are going to set the tone for 9/11.

By the way, how many SBs did Dan Marino win? He was a decent QB. Joe won 3 with different QBs. I think he knows how to get there, with whoever, and, how to win it all!
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

piggie

Postby King Cali Skin 2 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:38 pm

A Brady type QB will take us to the big game, but a very good or superstar QB can assure a SB win, with the team we have now. Ram's is not good enough to make it to the 2nd round and hardly the NFC Championsip. I'll believe it when I see it. Been burned by the Skin too many times since I was 9 years old.
Go 06' Skins, Wildcard birth & please avg. more than 15 ppg.

Portis 1300 yrd.

Hog

Postby hkHog » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:02 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Fred (& AP) were offered fair contracts based on what was being paid to others.

Yeah, the contract they offered Smoot was even a little better than what Shawn Springs had just gotten and Springs is definately the better CB. It would have been silly to pay more for a guy who isn't as good.

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007