Bowen Carted Off

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
Hog

Bowen Carted Off

Postby HailSkins94 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:51 pm

Safety Matt Bowen was carted off the field today (8/17/05) after injuring his knee during practice. Coach Gibbs said he "Tweaked his knee" so hopefully it isn't too bad. It is the same knee that he tore last season which is not a good sign. Not the kind of news you want to hear :fingers crossed: :evil:
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:24 pm

Both hands and fingers crossed - for his sake and the skins. He is a class player and hate to see him go down . . . again.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

~~~~~~~~

Postby ii7-V7 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:32 pm

I sure hate to see him go down. I like him. But at least we have tons of depth at Safety...particularly Strong Safety.

Chad

Hog

Postby John Manfreda » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:35 pm

Bowen Re-injures Knee During Practice
By Gary Fitzgerald
Redskins.com
August 17, 2005

Safety Matt Bowen is listed as day-to-day after re-injuring his right knee during Wednesday's practice, team officials said.
The injury is not considered serious. Bowen is unlikely to play in Friday's preseason game against the Cincinnati Bengals at FedExField, however.

Matt Bowen
Bowen sustained a mild sprained MCL injury during practice and was carted off the field. It's the same knee that Bowen had season-ending surgery on last October to repair a torn ACL.

"We had a scare there with Matt tweaking his knee," head coach Joe Gibbs said. "The doctors took him in [from practice] just to make sure that we can do everything we can here to look at it."

The Redskins' secondary has been hit hard with a series of nagging injuries this preseason. Safety Ryan Clark also has a sprained knee and is expected to sit out Friday's preseason game. Like Bowen, Clark's injury is not believed to be serious.

Cornerbacks Shawn Springs and Carlos Rogers returned to practice this week after the both missed last Saturday's game against Carolina. Springs had a sore hamstring and Rogers had an ankle injury.

Walt Harris sustained a calf injury in last Saturday's preseason game at Carolina that forced him to miss practices earlier this week.

Cornerback Artrell Hawkins and safety Tony Dixon have both been sidelined with hamstring injuries. Cornerback Garnell Wilds has missed time due to a thigh bruise.

Meantime, running back Clinton Portis has been nursing a sore elbow and he may not play in Friday's game against Cincinnati.

"It is not too big of a deal, but it keeps agitating and worrying us," Gibbs said. "Since he's a running back, he ends up going on there and landing on his elbow, and it gets aggravated.

"It is something that we will evaluate on Thursday and make our decision on it later."

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:36 pm

Man, that's scary. I hope it's not serious.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DM's #1 fan

Postby SkinsChic » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:43 pm

Wow....I sure hope he's okay !
Hip Hip Hooray!!!
H.T.T.R.

Terri
Joe Gibbs: Terri has a very good eye for talent.

Hog

Postby skins#1fan » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:07 pm

a lot of these injuries are very minor and its real early and there not use to it. If this were regular season 90 percent of these guys would be playing. When I here that players like Springs and Portis arent gonna play it doesnt bother me because we already know there proven starters. I like the fact that nothin major has happened like when we lost Jansen last year.

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:15 pm

Let's hope for the best with these injuries, and that everyone will be ready to go for the opening game.
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

####

Postby JPM36 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:49 pm

That would be a big blow.

Bowen is a perfect fit for the SS position in Williams' D.
R.I.P. Christopher Wallace (May 21, 1972 - March 9, 1997)

R.I.P. Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 - November 27, 2007)

Hog

Postby SkinsFanInHawai'i » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:37 am

Hope it's not serious. I've sprained my MCL before and I could not walk for a couple of days. Then all of a sudden it just felt fine again.

Atleast we have depth at that position.

+++

Postby NikiH » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:30 am

I was actually worried they didn't think he was 100% because he was started with the second string guys. I guess perhaps we will find out now where his injury stands.
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

Hog

Postby skinsfano28 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:47 am

like skinsfaninhawaii, i have also had injuries to my MCL and its really just not a good situation...bowen will be fine as long as he does exactly what the trainers tell him, because like SFIH said, it just heals itself in a week-week and a half. hope he'll be back to early 2004 form soon enough!!
Sean, may you always rest in peace and look down on us with the same love that we look up to you.

Hail to the Redskins!

piggie

Postby King Cali Skin 2 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:04 pm

God-dang, we need Bowen in the secondary, ohh man, I hope he doesn't re-injure the knee during the season. And hopefully our defensive backs do not have nagging hamstrings, cafe, and knees over the course of the season slowing them down.
Go 06' Skins, Wildcard birth & please avg. more than 15 ppg.

Portis 1300 yrd.

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:59 am

our depth is too strong a SS. There are no worries. i am a big fan of Bowen and love his run stopping ability, but i have issues, as do fellow skins fans, about his coverage skills.
Anyway I hope hes healthy!
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:02 pm

King Cali Skin wrote:God-dang, we need Bowen in the secondary, ohh man, I hope he doesn't re-injure the knee during the season. And hopefully our defensive backs do not have nagging hamstrings, cafe, and knees over the course of the season slowing them down.

It'd be nice to have Bowen back there but we dont neccesarily need him. Ryan Clark is more than an adequate backup to Matt. I wonder why he gets looked over so much after the stellar play last season.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007