Who Carries the Load?

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
#######

Who Carries the Load?

Postby The Hogster » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:01 pm

With Ladell Betts nursing a sore ankle this Sunday, and the tendency to get your starters fresh for the season, who gets the bulk of the carries for us at runnning back against the Ravens?

-Of course the logical thought is Nemo. But do we really want to risk an injury to him either?

-Looks like Gibbs sees a good role in there for him, it would be sad to see him go down with an injury when he has that ability to move the pile and get scores from inside the 10?

Thoughts?
SPIT HAPPENS!!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:03 pm

I think after Portis does his 1 run for the night we'll see Nemo and Rock. I really want to see Nemo in with the starting line, I think he'd do even better.

His only issue I've noticed is that he hesitates and loses potential yardage as a result.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

~~~~~~~~~~

Postby air_hog » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:07 pm

Yeah, I'd rather see Nemo start than Portis. I mean, if Portis only gets 1 carry, it's not like he will read the offense any better, the only thing that could happen is an injury.

Plus, I want to see Nemo against some real competition. Even though Nemo has been ballin, he's been getting all his yards off 3rd stringers. I want to see what he can do against Ray Lewis.
joebagadonuts on IsaneBoost's signature:
-- "I laughed. I cried. Better than Cats"

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:22 pm

He does hesitate a bit, but so does Betts. One of the comentators in the Pitt game last week said that that type of running back is better suited for Gibbs' style of game. I don't know but I will be excited to see Rock and Nemo vying for carries this Thur.

Hog

Postby HailSkins94 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:23 pm

Nemo then Rock
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:26 am

frankcal20 wrote:He does hesitate a bit, but so does Betts. One of the comentators in the Pitt game last week said that that type of running back is better suited for Gibbs' style of game. I don't know but I will be excited to see Rock and Nemo vying for carries this Thur.

Betts is patient.
Nemo is unsure.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

^^^^^^^^

Postby Gibbs' Hog » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:27 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I think after Portis does his 1 run for the night we'll see Nemo and Rock. I really want to see Nemo in with the starting line, I think he'd do even better.

His only issue I've noticed is that he hesitates and loses potential yardage as a result.

:lol:

I'd like to see Betts continue his dominance. If he keeps running like he has been, other teams are going to notice (and seriously consider how to defend) our double-threat rushing game. Once that happens, we should get some better looks at our receivers.

Other than that, I wouldn't mind seeing Nemo come in for a few scattered plays throughout the game, then play the fourth quarter mostly solo.

------------

Postby Redskins1974 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:59 am

frankcal20 wrote:He does hesitate a bit, but so does Betts. One of the comentators in the Pitt game last week said that that type of running back is better suited for Gibbs' style of game. I don't know but I will be excited to see Rock and Nemo vying for carries this Thur.

That's because in Gibbs' offense, many tmies the RB has to be patient and wait for the blocking scheme's to take affect before attacking the hole. At times last year, Portis would take the handoff and instantly attack before the block was established. With an improved Oline and 3 out of 4 backs in the system another year (Nemo being the 4th), we should see vast improvement as we did against the Steelers (and all preseason for that matter).
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.

~Marcus Aurelius

Hog

Postby SkinFan 0-16 or 16-0 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:46 am

Portis might get a series or too. Cartwright gets the rest of the hals. Nemo gets the second half.

Betts is not 100% yet so he will rest.
"Tough times don't last Tough people do."- Marcus Washington, Redskins Linebacker

"Big time Players make Big Time Plays in Big Games !!!"- Santana Moss Redskins WR during an upset by The U over Florida Sate

Hog

Postby ejay183 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:16 am

SkinFan 0-16 or 16-0 wrote:Portis might get a series or too. Cartwright gets the rest of the hals. Nemo gets the second half.

Betts is not 100% yet so he will rest.

Yeah, I want Betts to rest after that horse collar tackle by Chris Hope. Cartwright and Nemo will get most of the handoffs.
Clinton Portis 2005-2006 Season tracker
352 carries 1516 yards 11 TDs
30 receptions 216 yards 0 TDs
1/2 17 yards 1 TD 118.8

^^^^^^^^

Postby Gibbs' Hog » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:29 am

My bad, I've been out of the loop since the game Friday night. I didn't even realize that Betts had been injured.

In that case, I would agree that CP will rush for a series or two, and then the load can be shared by Nemo and "Da Rock" through the rest of the game.

piggie

Postby King Cali Skin 2 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:56 pm

What the heck is up with Emanuel White, I know he is a HB, but use him at RB/FB to limit injuries to NEMO in the 2nd half.

Lightning - C. Portis
Wind - L Betts
Thunder - Nemo.

NFL - game over.
Go 06' Skins, Wildcard birth & please avg. more than 15 ppg.

Portis 1300 yrd.

Hog

Postby BringThePain! » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:46 pm

King Cali Skin wrote:Lightning - C. Portis
Wind - L Betts
Thunder - Nemo.

NFL - game over.

Sunny Skies - P. Ramsey
High Humidity - Offense Line
Heat Advisory - S. Moss
Winter Storm Warning - D. Pattern

...if Rod Gardner was still on the team we could've used "Partly Cloudy with a chance of Rain"
**SPECIAL EDITION**

CurveBall - "It might be YOUR biggest game of the year but it really doesn't seem to be as big a deal for Dallas fans anymore."

Oopsies! What's that taste like?

piggie

Postby King Cali Skin 2 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm

Warning, may offend.

Redskins to NFL
Katrina to SuperDome

I hope everyone in the area will be ok and no one gets seriouly hurt.
Go 06' Skins, Wildcard birth & please avg. more than 15 ppg.

Portis 1300 yrd.

^^^^^^^^

Postby Gibbs' Hog » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:44 pm

Actually, it has not been good down there...

...hundreds were feared dead along the U.S. Gulf Coast after Hurricane Katrina sent a wall of water into Mississippi and flooded New Orleans

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050830/ts_nm/weather_katrina_dc

How tragic - it's like the worst city to be hit by a storm like that too; whenever you are under sea level, flooding just becomes that much worse.

My thoughts and prayers to all the victims and survivors.

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007