Does anyone else get this feeling?

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.

Does anyone else get this feeling?

Postby JPFair » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:44 pm

I dont' know why, but lately I keep getting this eerie feeling about our #2 QB position. I know that everyone is, for lack of a better term, "curious" to see what Jason Campbell can do and would like to think that Campbell would be our #2 guy, but I'm starting to think that if/when Brunell takes a knock, that Collins will be the guy they put in. I've been thinking about it for a few weeks now, but the Washington Times had an article this morning that kind of confirmed my feelings.

I mean, realistically, they brought Collins in because of his knowledge of Saunders' offense, and that in itself is a good reason to bring him in. BH made a comment yesterday that he looked good in camp, so I'm thinking that we can all be somewhat confident if Collins were to be put in in place of Brunell.

Sadly, I get the feeling though that there will be an eruption of anger by Redskins fans if they bypass Campbell and put Collins in. I hope that people will support the decision if it happens, I know I will. I'm anxious to see what both of them can do during the pre-season, especially Campbell. But, if the Redskins come out of the gate with something like a 5-2 or a 6-3 mark, I think the logical thing to do would be to put Collins in there to maintain that veteran role on gameday, assuming of course that he plays well during the pre-season.

Am I the only one that feels this, or am I just thinking too much because I'm dying for the season to start?

Any eye-witnesses to how Collins is performing in practice?
Sit back and watch the Redskins.

SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:55 pm

The best player out of JC and Collins deserves to be our #2 guy.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

piglet

Postby sephtical » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:07 pm

My feeling, and I've read some things to this effect, is that if Brunell gets hurt Collins will come into the game in relief. However Campbell would be the one to start the following week after having a solid week of prep time.
"This is a very simple defensive approach. They want you to attack, and be explosive. It's like this: straight ahead and attack." Andre Carter

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:00 pm

I talked to Jason La Canfora the other day and he said he'd be shocked to see Campbell beat out Collins.

He also said to enjoy the time we see Campbell during the preseason because that will most likely be the only time we'll see him all year.

Keep in mind how long it took Gibbs to put in Rypien after we drafted him. We had Williams and Schroeder ahead of him on the depth chart.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Postby JPFair » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:24 pm

Jake wrote:I talked to Jason La Canfora the other day and he said he'd be shocked to see Campbell beat out Collins.

He also said to enjoy the time we see Campbell during the preseason because that will most likely be the only time we'll see him all year.

Keep in mind how long it took Gibbs to put in Rypien after we drafted him. We had Williams and Schroeder ahead of him on the depth chart.

Jake, I'm on the same page as you on this one. But, my concerns are what will it do to his psyche, cofidence, and his relationship with management. Do you think he's got the patience to carry a clipboard for another year? Personally, as he did with Rypien, I think Gibbs and Saunders should go with Collins if he perfrorms well in pre-season. Not that the fans reaction matters much, but there will be some fans out there who will cry foul with Campbell not getting the #2 slot, and just as they did to Brunell two years ago, spend the whole season moaning about why there guy isn't in there. I think it's a reality to think that Brunell will miss at least a couple games, so it's something that is definitely on the horizon.
Sit back and watch the Redskins.

SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:51 pm

JPFair - While I can't definitively say you are the ONLY one who feels the way you do, I can understand WHY you do. You seem to suffer from offseasonqbsituationturmoilitis, which seems to afflict you right around when training camp starts. It happened last year with Brunell v. Patsey and it seems to be flaring up again.

You should be fully recovered by mid December, when we've locked up the #1 seed in the COnference. Until then, my friend, I think you'll have plenty more weeks like the last two. :wink:
Back and better than ever!

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:17 am

JPFair wrote:
Jake wrote:I talked to Jason La Canfora the other day and he said he'd be shocked to see Campbell beat out Collins.

Jake, I'm on the same page as you on this one. But, my concerns are what will it do to his psyche, cofidence, and his relationship with management. Do you think he's got the patience to carry a clipboard for another year? Personally, as he did with Rypien, I think Gibbs and Saunders should go with Collins if he perfrorms well in pre-season. Not that the fans reaction matters much, but there will be some fans out there who will cry foul with Campbell not getting the #2 slot, and just as they did to Brunell two years ago, spend the whole season moaning about why there guy isn't in there. I think it's a reality to think that Brunell will miss at least a couple games, so it's something that is definitely on the horizon.

To answer your question: yes. I don't think he has a choice but to be patient behind Brunell. He's dealing with Saunders being his 6th straight different offensive coordinator. If he can handle that, he can handle being on the bench again.

I think he understands he is the future at QB on this team and know eventually he will get his shot.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Hog

Postby USAFSkinFan » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:11 am

what's disappointing is that Campbell hasn't impressed anyone enough to do away with any speculation that Collins would be #2... no one was even entertaining the thought of Collins being number two when he got here, now we're expecting it... hopefully JC will show something special when preseason rolls around...

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:12 am

I hear you USAF but I think that this is more to the fact that Gibbs really likes players who have experience and will actually favor (or he has to now!) that experience "edge" over talent. I think he will do as JP indicates unless we all see a marked improvement from Campbell. Not that he has "shown" anything bad per se but rather that even given a week of prep, he will be ready to come in and start an NFL game.

I will say that I'm hoping that Cambell shows he is ready and that some of those mechanics in the throwing action are not a concern. I think Brunell is going to have a great season but I wonder if he can last a full season - no knock on Mark, but this is a very violent game and he is no spring chicken. I agree that from what we know of Gibbs and have heard about Collins that Collins seems to be the #2 - however, I guess I think Cambell may just have that special quality that Gibbs saw when he traded the pics to get him and he will have a great pre season.

I also think that Bugel is going to have a great line this year and whoever is behind that line is going to be given much better protection than we have seen in some time.

I will also say that I think our QB situation is not that big a worry as I think we have 3 decent guys here this year and we have Randle-El :wink:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Hog

Postby USAFSkinFan » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:23 am

agreed... I think we'll get a good vector when we see Gibbs pattern of playing time for Campbell in preseason... if he's getting a lot practice managing the game, and two-minute drills and such, then, Gibbs is probably getting him ready...

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007