Last Spurrier link low on depth chart

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:53 pm

Redskins receiver Jacobs feels like odd man out

By Don Markus
Sun Reporter

Originally published August 4, 2006
Ashburn, Va. // He is the last link to Steve Spurrier's two-year reign of error, the only former Florida Gator left on the training camp roster of the Washington Redskins.

With 30 catches for 315 yards and only one touchdown in his three-year career, Taylor Jacobs will likely have to do something extraordinary in the next month simply to be here for the start of the 2006 season.

Jacobs, a second-round draft pick in 2003, prior to Spurrier's final season in Washington, knows that the odds have grown considerably longer with the influx of talent at wide receiver. With newcomers Antwaan Randle El and Brandon Lloyd trying to join Pro Bowler Santana Moss in the starting lineup, Jacobs' competition for one of the last two roster spots at wide-out will come from journeymen James Thrash and David Patten and a collection of little-known free agents.

"I guess it's all or nothing right now," Jacobs said after a practice earlier this week at Redskins Park.

The competition continues with today's practice and tomorrow's noon scrimmage against the Ravens at FedEx Field.

"I just have to find somewhere in myself to boost my own confidence," said Jacobs, 25. "Since I've been here, things just haven't worked out for me. I've had some hard times, I've had some decent times when I played well on special teams. I know I've got talent. I'm not second-guessing myself. I'm just trying to get the ball rolling."

Jacobs came out of Florida ranked eighth all-time in receptions (133) and ninth in career receiving yards (2,097), and was the Southeastern Conference's top receiver his senior year. His most memorable performance came as a junior when Jacobs was named Most Valuable Player of the 2002 Orange Bowl, catching 10 passes for 170 yards and two touchdowns against Maryland.

But he knew that his association with Spurrier would not be a guarantee for success, since quarterbacks Danny Wuerffel and Shane Matthews, as well as wide receiver Chris Doering, were among a handful of ex-Gators who failed to bring the magic of The Swamp to Washington.

Jacobs said that he doesn't know what has gone wrong. Injuries have certainly played a part, including a tear in his pancreas that resulted in a short hospital stay at the end of his rookie preseason and a sprained toe suffered in last year's scrimmage against the Ravens.

Though he had some flashes the past two seasons that evoked memories of his days at Florida, Jacobs has struggled in the old-school offense coach Joe Gibbs has used since coming out of retirement. Jacobs is hoping that the more wide-open offense brought in by new offensive coordinator Al Saunders will help.

Quarterback Mark Brunell believes Jacobs is too talented not to make it in the NFL, even if it's not with the Redskins.

"He's got great ability, he's got speed, strength, he runs great routes and can catch," said Brunell. "The only thing that Taylor lacks is just a lot of time on the field. If and when he gets on the field, he's going to have quite a career."

Jacobs would like to remain in Washington, but he knows that the investment the Redskins have made in Randle El, coming off a spectacular performance for the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl, and Lloyd, who arrived in a trade with the San Francisco 49ers, will make him at best a fourth option.

"When they bring in so many guys, it's like, 'Where do I fit in?' " Jacobs said. "How much confidence do they really have? All last year, all this offseason, I got tired of hearing this [stuff] about Santana being the only [receiver] out there. That's not right. People don't know what the game plan was."

Harry Jacobs, who recently retired after 21 seasons as head coach at FAMU High School in Tallahassee, Fla., where he coached his son, said by telephone yesterday, "He feels he's as good as Moss -- given the opportunity. His confidence level is there, but there is some frustration."

Hog

Postby John Manfreda » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:40 am

He can't be the last Spurrier link, last time I checked Derrick Dockery was drafted during the Spurrier years. I could be wrong, but last time I checked he was in the same draft as Jacobs and drafted in the third round.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:30 am

John Manfreda wrote:He can't be the last Spurrier link, last time I checked Derrick Dockery was drafted during the Spurrier years. I could be wrong, but last time I checked he was in the same draft as Jacobs and drafted in the third round.

DD was drafted the same year but the article was refering to Spurrier and his Gatorskins...

He is the last link to Steve Spurrier's two-year reign of error, the only former Florida Gator left on the training camp roster of the Washington Redskins.

Hog

Postby John Manfreda » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:57 pm

1niksder wrote:
John Manfreda wrote:He can't be the last Spurrier link, last time I checked Derrick Dockery was drafted during the Spurrier years. I could be wrong, but last time I checked he was in the same draft as Jacobs and drafted in the third round.

DD was drafted the same year but the article was refering to Spurrier and his Gatorskins...

He is the last link to Steve Spurrier's two-year reign of error, the only former Florida Gator left on the training camp roster of the Washington Redskins.

Okay

||||

Postby Redskins Rule » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:35 pm

I hate to say this, but thank God he is the last one! Those guys have given me one headache to many!
Redskins Rule!!!

DUMP SI!!!

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:43 pm

we should check out shane matthews again
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:35 pm

he deserves the be cut just for his fathers comparison of him to Moss. :roll:
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:22 pm

If by "low on depth chart" they mean "non existant in a couple of weeks" then yes, he is very low on the depth chart.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Hog

Postby rick301 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:33 pm

Jake wrote:If by "low on depth chart" they mean "non existant in a couple of weeks" then yes, he is very low on the depth chart.

and that is too high for all the promise he has shown but failed to deliver ...

you can have a good practice ... but you gotta deliver on game day or its see ya

TJ has too much baggage here. He need to go elsewhere and start fresh ...

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:42 pm

rick301 wrote:TJ has too much baggage here. He need to go elsewhere and start fresh ...

I agree. I hear Foot Locker and Modell's are seeking FT help, now that kids are going back to school. Hopefully, the Skins release him in time to get the best work schedule. He won't be busy on Sundays, so Weekend hours should not be a problem. :twisted:
Back and better than ever!

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007