Camp Podcast

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
Site Admin

Camp Podcast

Postby BossHog » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:13 am

.... is posted here.

http://www.thehogs.net/redskins-podcasts/index.php

We're working through some techie difficulties we had, but we've pretty much worked through them.

We'll be at Fed Ex today in Green Lot A75, so come by and say hello, and be part of our first ever tailgate podcast. See ya at the stadium!!!
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:27 am

Thanks. I had typed a really long post and ... lost it somehow. :cry:

Let me try again:

I heard the introductory podcast by Jansen fan. Great introduction to V. 3 and its menus. The Huddle, Draft, Salary Cap (interactive! :shock: ), Training Camp were great. Sadly, no Hognostications???!!! Did he miss the boat? I think so. Still, it was a great first podcast. I could hear him clearly from several thousand miles away. Interesting to hear the voice of somebody we have read posts from. Definitely a Maryland accent. :lol: One unrequested piece of advice JF: Take your time to breath. Imaagine you are talking to us across the table in a bar. No need to rush. We are going nowhere until you finish. We will not even interrupt. :lol:

Great job guys. Nice finish with the hardrock guitar rendering of you know what.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:41 am

Heard the second podcast. I expected less of an Ontario accent and a bit more Brit in BH but an upper Canadian accent is alright.

Al Saunders was the most important acquisition during the offseason. I agree with your assessment of him.

Joe Gibbs paranoid??? Who said that??? Look over your shoulders, Joe might have somebody trailing you to hear what you podcast -before- you actually post it in the site! :lol:

Rob Johnson that good eh? Mmmmm, Why has he not made a bigger impact before then?

Can I make a -constructive- suggestion? I will anyway:

Please take your time to speak and give a bit of more structure to the podcast. For example, defense, offense, ST, coaches as if they were mini-chapters. Some new and rookie fans like myself do not know all the players names, positions, and numbers. Please keep in mind that your audience is wide and it will get WIDER. :wink:

I really like the fact that you are comfortable in the "studio" with one another and there is good "chemistry". You come across as very knowledgeable and experienced Redskins analysts.

Let me be a bit of a devil's advocate: If training camp is SOOO vanilla, How come you are able to tell so many good things about Lumsden? I mean, if it was not for the fact that you already KNEW him from the CFL? Just an example for the way to structure things in a podcast and not that I disagree with -anything- that was said about him.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:47 am

Please keep -hydrated- and that means WATER in case you forgot. I mean, outside -after- practice and a podcast, I am sure you keep other fluids at hand. Great job guys. :up:

I forgot to mention the musical finish at the end of the second podcast. I was not expecting more than the guitar and you surprised me with the lyrics (and the courage to sing).

I needed a bit of a time off. So, back to work now.

~~~~~~~~~~

Postby air_hog » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:41 pm

Those Podcasts are rad!

And you gotta love the Jimi Hendrix style "Hail to the Redskins" at the end :rock:
joebagadonuts on IsaneBoost's signature:
-- "I laughed. I cried. Better than Cats"

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:38 pm

First of all... there will sometimes be themes to a podcast... there may sometimes be more structure... but the free flowing nature is largely due to the fact that we just don't have the luxury of time when we're down here. We don't really have time to do 'mini-chapters' on each individual player, nor can we constantly be worried about what people do or don't know... that's not really up to us... that's on you guys... we're just looking to informally chat about the Redskins and hopefully pass on some casual, lay, observations to some Redskin fans. These are podcasts... they are essentially an audio blog... and by design, they are informal (and will likely stay that way for quite some time) Nor do I have the bandwidth to serve up hour long podcasts all of the time.

Rob Johnson that good eh? Mmmmm, Why has he not made a bigger impact before then?

Actually, we thought he looked good last year too... and players do improve... and some players will just look better in this offense... those may be a few of the reasons for his improved performance. And as we said... when there's so little going on at practice... you unfortunately hve to look for players that are making SOME exceptional plays amongst a sea of 'vanillaness'.

Let me be a bit of a devil's advocate: If training camp is SOOO vanilla, How come you are able to tell so many good things about Lumsden? I mean, if it was not for the fact that you already KNEW him from the CFL?

For the record... I don't watch much CFL football at all and haven't seen Jesse play since his days at McMaster... so it most CERTAINLY is not what I know of him 'from the CFL'. My observations from camp are just that... observations.

I thought I spoke of things that we have been able to tell.... the fact that he is working harder than everyone... the fact that his attitude has been so good - first and last off the field most practices.... the fact that he seems to display as much or more heart than anyone out there. As I said, he seems to 'want' this more than anybody else out there... and that IS something you can ascertain from even the most vanilla of workouts. I've also managd to get a fair few people watching him at Redskin Park and I have been taking in the feedback that they give me. I'm also a fan who like all fans, is going to develop fan favorites.

Perhaps some people just have a different idea of what a podcast is than we do. Maybe some of you just think that I have a dozen hours to plan, pre, record and post produce a show... I don't... I never will. We chose podcasts over doing a radio broadcast or webcast STRICTLY for their informal format.

Will structure and form improve as we go along? Sure, probably... but personally I think you're looking for something we just have no intention of ever offering. It's a constant struggle for me to get things done... that never changes... and as such... it's just safer to not over-think things and try to be something that you're not.

Frankly... when so many 'members' give so little to the site... we'll live with what we can do...

... and what we can't as well. :wink:

And that means that sometimes you just do what you can.

As for comfortable in the studio... not at all. This is all new to us... other than being a guest on a few radio shows... it's just not something either of us has ever done. And we've certainly never 'hosted' the show as opposed to having the broadcaster come at us with questions. There is going to be a learning curve here that takes more than one show to learn.

I appreciate the feedback, and I have taken it all in... I just think that you're looking for things we have no intention of providing and deserved some explanation.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:19 pm

... and incidentally, I'm not the only one noticing the good work Lumsden is putting in at practice...

"In every single work day, there hasn't been a day where we have looked at the film and didn't say, 'This guy is quick,'" Gibbs said. "[Special teams coordinator] Danny Smith likes him on special teams. He's very smart. We'll give him some key roles which I think he could fill.

"There hasn't been a practice where he hasn't done something to catch somebody's eye, so I'd say he is one of the guys we're really looking at. He's a promising young guy and he deserves some work."

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=18487

... of course, it didn't hurt that he had a stellar game today... I'll likely podcast about it after dinner...

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:19 pm

I know you always want to improve. I know you do your best within your many limitations. I wish I was there to help. I know we both understand the good feeling with which the messages were sent and replied to.

I heard that good comment froom Joe. It seems like the Cannuck might make it if things go this well. Thanks.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:51 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:I know you do your best within your many limitations.

I can't tell if that is a compliment or an insult. :?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:18 pm

JSPB22 wrote:

That's just RiC :?

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:15 am

Well, speaking from over this side of the pond, I'm pleased to get any info on the Redskins that hasn't been passed through the filters applied by the usual media outlets. It's great to hear people talking about the Redkins, who have actually seen the players work out on the field.

This is all info that I wouldn't get from anywhere else. Praise is due here - thanks to both BH and JF. I like the fact that I get to listen to two knowledgeable Redskins fans talking things over like old friends. I can't get that anywhere else.

So, rather than be churlish and make observations about what the podcasts aren't, I prefer to praise them for what they are. For me, they have the same impact as listening to Armed Forces Radio 15 years ago in the middle of the night, desperate for any Redskins news.

Thanks guys, and keep up the great work. :up:
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:49 pm

1niksder wrote:
JSPB22 wrote:

It is a compliment. He knows it was not an insult at all. I am surprised sometimes how things can be read. Please have alook at the whole thread.

When I say many limitations, I mean there is normal work, running a time-consuming website with little help, adding a thousand things to the website, sponsorships, contacts with players, Camp, on and on and on.

Come on guys. Give me a break here please. For the record, I wanted to welcome the effort and to tell everybody that it works well no matter how far in the world you might go. My idea of the podcast implied a greater support than they have and BH pointed that out to me. I should have knowm better.

I wonder if I should just shut my keyboard and make no suggestions no matter how well intended they might be. It is the time constraints over which I type that sometimes makes it difficult to come across the way I want to. Sorry for the confusion if there was any.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:55 pm

I didn't take offense, and as I said, I took in the constructive criticism. I know you're under a little strain and understand that your post was indicative of that fact.

I also appreciate the other commentary... actually welcome it... nothing anyone here says will ever really 'bother' me... I have some pretty thick skin. If I didn't... the site would have disappeared years ago because for the most part... people are pretty ignorant. :shock:

I think it also bears mentioning that I'm sure by the time we've knocked out a dozen podcasts... they'll be old hat and considerably better. It's a bit of a 'try it as you go' type scenario for us and we're just gearing up to be ready to bring you VERY regular podcasts throughout the regular season.

For those of you more familiar with podcasting, we WILL be firing our podcasts into an RSS feed and submitting them to iTunes very soon for you to subscribe to the feed. We just wanted to get a few under our belt before we did so.

Thanks, and there's a new podcast posted in the podcast section today.

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:58 pm

BossHog wrote:Thanks, and there's a new podcast posted in the podcast section today.
I am delighted to hear about J. Lumsden. I did not watch the scrimmage. So, you are my only source of information about it. Kerry Carter's news are nice to hear as well.

Thanks. I need to hear some good news from somewhere and you guys make a good job at it, believe me.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:23 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:
1niksder wrote:
JSPB22 wrote:

It is a compliment. He knows it was not an insult at all. I am surprised sometimes how things can be read. Please have alook at the whole thread... Sorry for the confusion if there was any.

I knew you meant it as a compliment. I just thought it was a funny turn of phrase. On the topic, I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcasts yet, but I am looking forward to it. It will be great to have 'Skins talk from someone who's opinion I trust.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007