THN Exclusive: Q&A with Jesse Lumsden

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:44 pm

Part II was excellent. Like BH, I am really pullin' for this kid to make the team. I am hoping he makes the full squad but, if not, definitely the practice squad.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

the Big Canuck

Postby Hill66 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:21 pm

Great interview, total class act.
I'll tell you what, everytime I played against Jesse, he murdered us (Mustangs)...never thought one day I'd be routing for the guy.
Pete Kendall is a MAN and a half..

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:22 pm

That's 'cause Western sucks! Go Mac!

Just kidding. I only know they are rivals. :lol:
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Hog

Postby Cooley47 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:27 am

Great interview and it actually is really cool. Is there any way you guys could get an interview with like a young guy who will make the team like Rocky McIntosh or Kili or one of the DT's. Thanks in advance.
I miss you 21.

God I wish we had a second round pick.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:10 pm

Cooley47 wrote:Great interview and it actually is really cool. Is there any way you guys could get an interview with like a young guy who will make the team like Rocky McIntosh or Kili or one of the DT's. Thanks in advance.

How do you ACTUALLY know who will make the team and how is actually a player versus those that are in camp because they have nothing else to do and the one that just think the are players?

:feedback;
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby Cooley47 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:51 pm

1niksder wrote:
Cooley47 wrote:Great interview and it actually is really cool. Is there any way you guys could get an interview with like a young guy who will make the team like Rocky McIntosh or Kili or one of the DT's. Thanks in advance.

How do you ACTUALLY know who will make the team and how is actually a player versus those that are in camp because they have nothing else to do and the one that just think the are players?

Ummmm.....I am sorry but I dont understand what you are trying to type please try again.
I miss you 21.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:00 pm

Cooley47 wrote:
1niksder wrote:

Ummmm.....I am sorry but I dont understand what you are trying to type please try again.

I figured your answer would be along those lines. Thanks for the insight.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby Cooley47 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:01 pm

1niksder wrote:
Cooley47 wrote:
1niksder wrote:

I figured your answer would be along those lines. Thanks for the insight.

No no I would like to answer your question but the way you wrote it just didnt make any sense to me. Please try it again.
I miss you 21.

Postby 1niksder » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:17 pm

Cooley47 wrote:Is there any way you guys could get an interview with like a young guy who will make the team like Rocky McIntosh or Kili or one of the DT's. Thanks in advance.

How do you know who will make the team and who won't? If that's too hard for you, tell us why you think Jesse won't make the team. You are quick to say what you think, but you just throw it out there.

You said the guy sucked and that was it.
This is a message board, as far as i know you could have been at every game the kid ever played and you are genuinely shocked that he made it this far. Now if I assumed that what would that make us?

How do you know a young guy that will make the team hasn't been interviewed?
Did a little birdie tell you that he wouldn't make the team? If so why did you waste your time reading about someone you knew would be here.

I had a lot of questions and because most of you post on this matter have quick hits. I figured I get as much as I could into 1 question as to not give you a headache.

I obviously failed... nevermind
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby Cooley47 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:38 pm

I dont think Lumsden will make the team because we have 3 Rbs already and not many teams carry four. Why should this guy make the team? People want him over Rock. Lumsden good in TC vs Rock good against teams in the NFL season. That is a BIG BIG BIG BIG Difference. How can you say you want Lumsden over Rock. Rock has proven himself as a solid 3rd back with great career numbers and Lumsen hasn't. He may have killed the Canadian League but that doesnt mean anything in America. He could be the 4th back and if Betts or Rock get hurt he could dress a game or two. That is best case scenario for him. I am not rooting against I want every Redskin to be great, its just this guy doesnt belong up here with the big boys and he certainly does not deserve to get Betts traded.

Do you guys remember Neomiah Broughton???He was the same thing last year and he made the team but he was not important. All Lumsden can hope to be is a Neomiah Broughton. I hope I am worng and I hope this guy somehow does end up being great but he just wont he just doesnt have a good enough skill-set. I hope he proves me wrong.
I miss you 21.

Postby 1niksder » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:00 pm

Cooley47 wrote:I dont think Lumsden will make the team because we have 3 Rbs already and not many teams carry four.

Maybe you only carry 3 on your fantasy team but name any NFL team that only carried 3 RBs in any year.

Cooley47 wrote:Why should this guy make the team? People want him over Rock. Lumsden good in TC vs Rock good against teams in the NFL season. That is a BIG BIG BIG BIG Difference. How can you say you want Lumsden over Rock. Rock has proven himself as a solid 3rd back with great career numbers and Lumsen hasn't.

Who said anything about Rock, you need to rethink your thinking. Just because a back is getting a little hype from fans doesn't mean Rock's job is in jeopardy, unless he isn't up to keeping his spot.

Cooley47 wrote:He may have killed the Canadian League but that doesnt mean anything in America. He could be the 4th back and if Betts or Rock get hurt he could dress a game or two. That is best case scenario for him. I am not rooting against I want every Redskin to be great, its just this guy doesnt belong up here with the big boys and he certainly does not deserve to get Betts traded.

OK i was with you for a second, but then you say he could be the fourth RB in a league that generally only carries 3 :shock: and if the #2 and #3 were injured he could dress for a few games (who would be the guy on the field? ... please don't say the fifth back)

Cooley47 wrote:Do you guys remember Neomiah Broughton???He was the same thing last year and he made the team but he was not important. All Lumsden can hope to be is a Neomiah Broughton. I hope I am worng and I hope this guy somehow does end up being great but he just wont he just doesnt have a good enough skill-set. I hope he proves me wrong.

If you rembered Nemo why did you start this post with such a assinine statement about the number of back carried on a team?

BTW most special teams are loaded with RBs and LBs, he is eligiable for the PS if he doesn't earn a roster spot, do don't who will make the team and who want, do you? Come on you can tell us.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:47 pm

The Redskins will likely carry four OR five guys for the backfield... number one and two runningbacks will obviously be Portis and Betts... number one fullback will be Sellers and Cartwright is listed as the backup FULLBACK on most depth charts... those are your four for sure's. if the Redskins go with five backs... then it will be one of Nehemiah Broughton, Jesse Lumsden, Kerry Carter or Manuel White. Still with us?

The fact that Ladell betts is nboth injured right now AND a free agent at the end of this season lends plenty of reason to speculate that the Redskins might keep five roster spots for RB and FB... still with us?

My comments on Jesse have NOTHING to do with what happened last year or any other previous year for that matter... they come from watching what has happened at camp THIS year. Lumsden has outperformed ALL of the aformentioned backs... Clinto really doesn't 'do too much' at training camp and Betts has been out for a week. But Lumsden has definitely outshone Broughton and even probably bested Rock so far... not on reputation... not on past merits... on PERFORMANCE.

Now you don't have to take my word for it, but even the coaching staff have gone out of their way to say how much they liked Lumsden.

"I don't think there's been a single day where we haven't sat down to look at the film and somebody says, 'Gosh, the guy's quick,'" Gibbs told the local media. "He's a promising young guy and he deserves some work."

I think Betts' situation MANDATES that the Redskins keep five in the backfield and that means one of Jesse Lumsden, Kerry Carter, Nehemiah Broughton and Manuel White WILL get a job... and right now... it's a pretty dead even heat.

My 2 cents
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Postby yupchagee » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:34 am

Why do you think Lefotu is sure to make the team. There are 10 players competing for probably 4 backup OL spots. Lumsden is 1 of 5 backs competing for 1 spot. From what I have read (on this site & elsewhere) Lumsden has been the most impressive so far.

Overall, there are probably about 55 guys competing for about 20 spots.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby Cooley47 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:09 pm

You think their are 20 open spots. You are way way way way off. More like 8 maybe maybe maybe if you count all the o-line 10. come on. Dont be ridiculous I was just talking about our draft picks i didnt mean he is a lock or anything.
I miss you 21.

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007