THN Gameday Thread

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
^^^^^^^
Posts: 8987
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:55 pm

On Redskins radio they just had a great point, Washington went 0-4 in preseason and won the superbowl that year. Relax.

ch1
Posts: 3625
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Postby crazyhorse1 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:59 pm

The Hogster wrote:Todd Collins looked like it would look if I played QB. Maybe worse.


I can't believe you'd be that bad.

Here's my honest take: Most of my fears were borne out...and basic problems may be corrected too late in the season. There was some good stuff, however.

Brunell will take us no where. I had hoped he would hold up long enough to get early wins, but he's already throwing without accuracy or zip. Moss gave him an easy shot and Lloyd made an incredible catch...which made him look like less than a disaster, but appearances are deceiving.

Collins is flat out awful, as expected. He has no arm and looked inexperienced, inspite of his age.

Campbell doesn't look ready, but needs to be made ready now. He should start now, every pre-season game...with the first team.

McIntosh should be moved up ahead of Holman...now.

Cartwright looked non-descript and should be cut. Broughton is probably not going to make it-- not enough power to make up for lack of other running skills.

We are in need of a first rate running back to back up Portis...Betts is too fragile and the others can't cut it. Maybe the Canadian can.

White caught a few balls but looked fat and slow.

Our first team D is going to be great. If we win, it will be because of the D.

We've really made bad moves in regard to the QB position. Getting rid of Ramsey and picking up Collins was pure idiocy. It's not even conceivable that Collins could come in and knock off the Giants like Ramsey did last year. The talent difference is huge. ...and then there's the obvious fact that Collins, in spite of his age, has really almost no game experience in the NFL.

Saying Collins knows the system cold is no more than a joke.

#14
Posts: 4205
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Postby yupchagee » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:01 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:The Int was embarrassing, so was Portis' injury, so was our lack of a run game w/o CP (thanx Ladell) our pass game completely ignored Patten, Randle El, and Cooley, and most of the game after Marcus left our DB's just got burnt and picked on and picked on, with no picks, Dline played hard I will say that for the D.

What Brunell demonstrated was as all of us know he has little to no mobility and gets rattled, I get this feeling with mark like he's trying to pass himself off as something he's not (like a SB Champion) he's not John Elway but he's not Neil O'Donnel, he'll never be Brett Favre but he's better than Todd Collins?

I think Jason Campbell has earned the right to get some time with the first team. Oh and if PRam starts for NY who has the better year MB or PRAM? The fact thats even a question should tell us were not as solid at QB as we might have thought. JCAM is our best QB



I somehow think Brunell knows he hasn't won a Super Bowl. His mobility, even at his advanced age, is pretty good. I also dont see a problem with his poise. For someone as bad as you say, he did 1 hell of a job last year. He doesn't have to be Elway or Farve. a good Mark Brunell will be fine.

MP vs PR is a question only because you asked it. It isn't a question in my mind.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

^^^^^^^
Posts: 8987
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:04 pm

made it on the radio. A shoutout to TH.net. sorry they cut me off.

swine
User avatar
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:59 pm
Location: Maryland

Postby redskinsrule54 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:05 pm

^nice

^^^^^^^
Posts: 8987
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:07 pm

I got a bit excited at the end. I didn't want to forget about thehogs.net shout out. I'm really pissed they cut me off.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1017
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:22 am
Location: Fort Bliss, TX

Postby xhadow » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:08 pm

frankcal20 wrote:made it on the radio. A shoutout to TH.net. sorry they cut me off.


I think they edited you out... seeing that they have extremskins... oh well nice try though :up:
Well what more would you expect out of the "Worst Team" in the "Best Division"

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 10962
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:09 pm

die cowboys die wrote:
HOSS wrote:
die cowboys die wrote:no, it is brunell's fault. that interception was beyond inexcusable, and portis was just trying to clean up brunell's mess.

now before i get crucified, i am not saying i hate brunell, or that he shouldn't be playing. i'm just saying that one play, that one throw, was his fault. it is his fault portis got injured. portis would never have been tackling someone otherwise.


do you have any idea how silly it sounds when you claim it was brunell's fault that clinton got hurt?

just wonderin'.


do you have any idea how silly you sound when you voluntarily eschew the concept of causality? brunell's throw caused portis to become a defender and make a tackle, which injured him. something that would NOT have happened otherwise. sorry, that's not really arguable, as it is a fact.



There's your answer, Hoss. He obviously doesn't realize how ridiculous the claim sounded. How about this one: had Saunders not called that play and put Brunell in trouble, he wouldn't have thrown the pick. Actually, come to think of it--Gibbs is the one that hired Saunders! :shock:

Besides, had that o-line and backfield done its job blocking--no pick. Had Cincinatti not done those fireworks pregame (changed the air pressure in the stadium, you know)--no pick. Had I not shaved my head tonight before the game--no pick.

My only question now is whose future injury I've caused (or who I've saved from injury!) by typing this post.


Oh yeah, and fire Gibbs. The old man has lost it. ;)



Sorry. . .can't help myself when I see so many negative comments in one thread. We looked good to great at times (Lloyd!!), and there is plenty for Gibbs & co. to work on. If I've learned anything over the past couple of years it is that I don't need to worry about it; I can sit back and enjoy the ride. Everything is on schedule.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

~~
User avatar
Posts: 8445
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:12 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:12 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
die cowboys die wrote:
HOSS wrote:
die cowboys die wrote:no, it is brunell's fault. that interception was beyond inexcusable, and portis was just trying to clean up brunell's mess.

now before i get crucified, i am not saying i hate brunell, or that he shouldn't be playing. i'm just saying that one play, that one throw, was his fault. it is his fault portis got injured. portis would never have been tackling someone otherwise.


do you have any idea how silly it sounds when you claim it was brunell's fault that clinton got hurt?

just wonderin'.


do you have any idea how silly you sound when you voluntarily eschew the concept of causality? brunell's throw caused portis to become a defender and make a tackle, which injured him. something that would NOT have happened otherwise. sorry, that's not really arguable, as it is a fact.



There's your answer, Hoss. He obviously doesn't realize how ridiculous the claim sounded. How about this one: had Saunders not called that play and put Brunell in trouble, he wouldn't have thrown the pick. Actually, come to think of it--Gibbs is the one that hired Saunders! :shock:

Besides, had that o-line and backfield done its job blocking--no pick. Had Cincinatti not done those fireworks pregame (changed the air pressure in the stadium, you know)--no pick. Had I not shaved my head tonight before the game--no pick.

My only question now is whose future injury I've caused (or who I've saved from injury!) by typing this post.


Oh yeah, and fire Gibbs. The old man has lost it. ;)



Sorry. . .can't help myself when I see so many negative comments in one thread. We looked good to great at times (Lloyd!!), and there is plenty for Gibbs & co. to work on. If I've learned anything over the past couple of years it is that I don't need to worry about it; I can sit back and enjoy the ride. Everything is on schedule.


No, IB. It's clearly the defender's momma's fault.

Had she not given birth to him.... no pick.

[/story]
VIVA SEXY!!!

#14
Posts: 4205
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Postby yupchagee » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:14 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Todd Collins looked like it would look if I played QB. Maybe worse.


I can't believe you'd be that bad.

Here's my honest take: Most of my fears were borne out...and basic problems may be corrected too late in the season. There was some good stuff, however.

Brunell will take us no where. I had hoped he would hold up long enough to get early wins, but he's already throwing without accuracy or zip. Moss gave him an easy shot and Lloyd made an incredible catch...which made him look like less than a disaster, but appearances are deceiving.

Collins is flat out awful, as expected. He has no arm and looked inexperienced, inspite of his age.

Campbell doesn't look ready, but needs to be made ready now. He should start now, every pre-season game...with the first team.

McIntosh should be moved up ahead of Holman...now.

Cartwright looked non-descript and should be cut. Broughton is probably not going to make it-- not enough power to make up for lack of other running skills.

We are in need of a first rate running back to back up Portis...Betts is too fragile and the others can't cut it. Maybe the Canadian can.

White caught a few balls but looked fat and slow.

Our first team D is going to be great. If we win, it will be because of the D.

We've really made bad moves in regard to the QB position. Getting rid of Ramsey and picking up Collins was pure idiocy. It's not even conceivable that Collins could come in and knock off the Giants like Ramsey did last year. The talent difference is huge. ...and then there's the obvious fact that Collins, in spite of his age, has really almost no game experience in the NFL.

Saying Collins knows the system cold is no more than a joke.


Cartwright looked non-descript and should be cut. Broughton is probably not going to make it-- not enough power to make up for lack of other running skills.


Yup. 1 bad game. cut him.

Brunell will take us no where. I had hoped he would hold up long enough to get early wins, but he's already throwing without accuracy or zip. Collins is flat out awful, as expected. He has no arm and looked inexperienced, inspite of his age.


Yup. 1 bad throw in a preseason game. guy's a bum. Last year doesn't count.
More likely rusty. he's spent a lot of yrs on the bench.

We've really made bad moves in regard to the QB position. Getting rid of Ramsey and picking up Collins was pure idiocy.


Ramsey has the mobility of a statue & possibly the least poise under pressure that I've seen in years.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

...unadulterated
Posts: 4689
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:59 am
Location: that voice in your head

Postby Hoss » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:15 pm

Irn-Bru wrote: If I've learned anything over the past couple of years it is that I don't need to worry about it; I can sit back and enjoy the ride. Everything is on schedule.


as they say...

get in,






sit down,









shut up,












and HOLD ON!!!
People may not remember exactly what you did
or what you said....

~BUT~
they will ALWAYS remember how you made them feel.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 2114
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Postby die cowboys die » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:16 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
die cowboys die wrote:
HOSS wrote:
die cowboys die wrote:no, it is brunell's fault. that interception was beyond inexcusable, and portis was just trying to clean up brunell's mess.

now before i get crucified, i am not saying i hate brunell, or that he shouldn't be playing. i'm just saying that one play, that one throw, was his fault. it is his fault portis got injured. portis would never have been tackling someone otherwise.


do you have any idea how silly it sounds when you claim it was brunell's fault that clinton got hurt?

just wonderin'.


do you have any idea how silly you sound when you voluntarily eschew the concept of causality? brunell's throw caused portis to become a defender and make a tackle, which injured him. something that would NOT have happened otherwise. sorry, that's not really arguable, as it is a fact.



There's your answer, Hoss. He obviously doesn't realize how ridiculous the claim sounded. How about this one: had Saunders not called that play and put Brunell in trouble, he wouldn't have thrown the pick. Actually, come to think of it--Gibbs is the one that hired Saunders! :shock:

Besides, had that o-line and backfield done its job blocking--no pick. Had Cincinatti not done those fireworks pregame (changed the air pressure in the stadium, you know)--no pick. Had I not shaved my head tonight before the game--no pick.

My only question now is whose future injury I've caused (or who I've saved from injury!) by typing this post.


Oh yeah, and fire Gibbs. The old man has lost it. ;)



Sorry. . .can't help myself when I see so many negative comments in one thread. We looked good to great at times (Lloyd!!), and there is plenty for Gibbs & co. to work on. If I've learned anything over the past couple of years it is that I don't need to worry about it; I can sit back and enjoy the ride. Everything is on schedule.


sorry, but i'm pretty saunders didn't instruct brunell to throw it to the other team. nice try though.

^^^^^^^
Posts: 8987
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:23 pm

Why does everyone have such a hard time thinking that Lloyd should have ran an out route instead of an inroute? Brunell put it right there for him to catch to pick up the 1st down and get out of bounds. He won't say it b/c he would be calling the guy out but I promise you, that was the pass he was throwing. How many passes did Brunell throw in the stands last year? If he was trying to throw it away, he would have.

...unadulterated
Posts: 4689
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:59 am
Location: that voice in your head

Postby Hoss » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:27 pm

die cowboys die wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
die cowboys die wrote:
HOSS wrote:
die cowboys die wrote:no, it is brunell's fault. that interception was beyond inexcusable, and portis was just trying to clean up brunell's mess.

now before i get crucified, i am not saying i hate brunell, or that he shouldn't be playing. i'm just saying that one play, that one throw, was his fault. it is his fault portis got injured. portis would never have been tackling someone otherwise.


do you have any idea how silly it sounds when you claim it was brunell's fault that clinton got hurt?

just wonderin'.


do you have any idea how silly you sound when you voluntarily eschew the concept of causality? brunell's throw caused portis to become a defender and make a tackle, which injured him. something that would NOT have happened otherwise. sorry, that's not really arguable, as it is a fact.



There's your answer, Hoss. He obviously doesn't realize how ridiculous the claim sounded. How about this one: had Saunders not called that play and put Brunell in trouble, he wouldn't have thrown the pick. Actually, come to think of it--Gibbs is the one that hired Saunders! :shock:

Besides, had that o-line and backfield done its job blocking--no pick. Had Cincinatti not done those fireworks pregame (changed the air pressure in the stadium, you know)--no pick. Had I not shaved my head tonight before the game--no pick.

My only question now is whose future injury I've caused (or who I've saved from injury!) by typing this post.


Oh yeah, and fire Gibbs. The old man has lost it. ;)



Sorry. . .can't help myself when I see so many negative comments in one thread. We looked good to great at times (Lloyd!!), and there is plenty for Gibbs & co. to work on. If I've learned anything over the past couple of years it is that I don't need to worry about it; I can sit back and enjoy the ride. Everything is on schedule.


sorry, but i'm pretty saunders didn't instruct brunell to throw it to the other team. nice try though.


yeah, because if saunders did instruct brunell to throw the interception, i'm sure he would have instructed clinton to avoid the obvious cluster "poop" he was going to encounter.
Last edited by Hoss on Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People may not remember exactly what you did
or what you said....

~BUT~
they will ALWAYS remember how you made them feel.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1510
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:31 pm

Postby SkinzCanes » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:28 pm

Why does everyone have such a hard time thinking that Lloyd should have ran an out route instead of an inroute? Brunell put it right there for him to catch to pick up the 1st down and get out of bounds. He won't say it b/c he would be calling the guy out but I promise you, that was the pass he was throwing. How many passes did Brunell throw in the stands last year? If he was trying to throw it away, he would have.


Even if Llyod had ran an outroute that pass still probably would've been picked. There were two defenders there anyway. Assuming that he was trying to complete a pass instead of throwing it away, it was a terrible decision by Brunell. No reason for him to make that throw off his back foot with a defender in his face. All he did was float the ball into coverage. Saying that the Portis injury was Brunell's fault is rediculous, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it was a bad idea for Brunell to throw that pass.

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007