Redskins: 5 Questions Heading Into Training Camp

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
~~~~

Redskins: 5 Questions Heading Into Training Camp

Postby ANT7088 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:26 pm

Joe Gibbs has gone about this offseason trying to provide more answers than questions. Need depth? Bring in veterans on both sides of the ball. Want to increase the level of competition? Make it clear that starting jobs are to be earned, not assumed.

That said, training camp will still have plenty of intrigue. Here are five questions the Redskins face as they gear up for a passing camp starting Monday, July 26 and the official start of training camp on Saturday, July 31.

1. All eyes will be on Mark Brunell and Patrick Ramsey. How intense will the competition be at quarterback?
Brunell and Ramsey have forged a strong bond this offseason, but they're both intense competitors. Gibbs has always preferred experienced quarterbacks leading his teams--that's why Brunell was among the first players he considered adding to the roster this offseason. It's not often that a quarterback ranked No. 11 all-time in passer rating is available via trade.

Meantime, Ramsey is fully recovered from offseason foot surgery and seems determined to grab a hold on the starting job. Due to the surgery, he fell behind in on-field work this offseason, but he impressed coaches in the June mini-camp.

"We've thrown a lot at Patrick, much more than what we would have during a regular season and regular preparation," Gibbs said. "He's handled it well."

This competition could go right down to the final preseason game.

Rest of Story....
http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=2281
AnTsSkInZ

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:57 pm

I really think that it will be an open competition. Who do i think will come out ontop. Ramsey. He played so hard last year and took all those hits. he really could have given up way earlier but he didnt. Thats a guy thats earned my respect already. Brunell still has to earn mine. I know he did good in Jville but that was years ago. He's got something to prove. Ramsey already has in my book.

~~~~

Postby ANT7088 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:26 pm

frankcal20 wrote:I really think that it will be an open competition. Who do i think will come out ontop. Ramsey. He played so hard last year and took all those hits. he really could have given up way earlier but he didnt. Thats a guy thats earned my respect already. Brunell still has to earn mine. I know he did good in Jville but that was years ago. He's got something to prove. Ramsey already has in my book.

I think Ramsey deserves it, but what makes Brunell not deserve it???? Brunell is great and he would've been great last year if he wasn't hurt. Ramsey showed that he has a rifle for an arm & that he's one of the toughest guys in the league, but with only 16 career starts he hasn't "proved" anything yet!
AnTsSkInZ

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:38 pm

Young defensive linemen who could emerge include Greg White, a second-year player who posted four sacks in a 2002 preseason game, and Nic Clemons, a first-year player who developed his skills on the Redskins' practice squad last season.

Thats great news and I feel somebody is going to step up. We have coaches now!! REAL ONES AT THAT!!! They can drive players they can pull stuff out of the SS couldn't. We dont need to make up for a lack of coaching ability with superstar players the GREAT coaches make the on par player look SPECTAULAR!!!! Let Gregg work these young guys!
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:01 pm

ANT7088 wrote:I think Ramsey deserves it, but what makes Brunell not deserve it????

May the best man win :D

CLL wrote:We have coaches now!! REAL ONES AT THAT!!!

:hail: this will be noticed leaguewide but more importantly on the field
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007