Camp battles

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
Site Admin

Camp battles

Postby BossHog » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:16 am

With just a few days left before the mad Canadian descends on DC and starts doing camp reports, I thought I'd get some feedback...

What camp battles are you most interested in hearing about?

Sometimes the practice and the layout itself dictate what I can and can't report on, but I was curious what trenches you want us hid in...

Ramsey / Brunell
Raymer / Friedman
Morton / Thrash
McCants / Thrash / Jacobs
Kozlowski / Cooley / Sellers
Noble / self :wink:
Taylor / Bowen / Ohalete
Bauman / Brown / Harris

I plan on trying to watch the linebackers a lot, as well as the d-line to see how Noble is doing (though he may be held out early in camp) and to see how Griffin looks in there.

I will also try to get some Taylor-time in. I'm really glad that ST got his deal done in time for camp... I'm really looking forward to seeing this kid in the flesh.

Of course, this is theHogs.net, so inevitably I will be spending some quality time with the o-line as well.

:feedback;

That way we can perhaps do a couple of features on match-ups during camp, as well as the daily camp reports.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:26 am

I think the Ramsey/Brunell and Taylor/Bowen/Ohalete battles will be the most fun to watch, but I want to keep an eye on Brandon to see how he is doing as well.

I remember your reports last year Boss about R. Johnson and you were dead on, the guy stunk. Good camp work and can't wait to be there in person.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Hog

Postby Redskin Stouff » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:34 am

Hey Boss Hog, I know you'll do your fellow Canadian Hog lover proud in DC. Like most of us, I have a soft spot for Ramsey and I hope he truly does get every opportunity to compete for the starting job. Any info on how Ramsey/Brunell are handling the competition would be great! Have a great time!
How many more sleeps until next season?

Camp Battles

Postby Panamon » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:01 am

I'm interested in seeing how the WR battle progresses. I would include Gardner with Thrash, Jacobs and McCants as I am still not convinced that he'll start the season in Washington. Going five deep at WR seems to be a luxury; if everyone stays healthy, including 'the toe', I could see Gardner being traded in the preseason for a DL, or a draft pick. SD would seem like a good fit for me since they have very little at the position and Marty drafted Gardner. Obviously this makes a lot more sense if McCants or Jacobs are read to step up. Enjoy camp!

~~~~~~~~

Postby ii7-V7 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:12 am

I'm pretty much sick of the Ramsey/Brunell thing. Just tell me who won when its over.

Most interesting to me are the battles on O and D lines (Raymer/Freidman and Noble/Haley/Salvae). Also the Wide Outs, TE's and SS.

Chad

Hog

Re: Camp Battles

Postby BringThePain! » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:15 am

Panamon wrote:SD would seem like a good fit for me since they have very little at the position and Marty drafted Gardner. Obviously this makes a lot more sense if McCants or Jacobs are read to step up. Enjoy camp!

:shock:

Rod? 50/50? Is that you? Did your secret identity slip in this post?

COME BACK, I HAVE SO MUCH TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT!!! :cry:

:D

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:18 am

No way Gardner is dealt now... they had 6 months to pull the trigger on that one and didn't... I don't see them doing it now... it would just serve no purpose.

I ALSO think McCants will get a ton of looks this year and maybe even as many as Gardner...

... but nobody will give up anything from their own roster... not to get a guy that's been deemed disposable as a 2nd receiver... and that's without getting into the fact that the Redskins don't have the luxury of having the cap space to throw it away on dead space.

Why pay a million bucks to not have him? And then do the same next year... he has 2.2 mil left in signing bonus coming to him... trade him or not, the Skins are on the hook cap-wise for that money.

My 2 cents

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:23 am

Being a O-line guy like yourself, I am curious how the center and left guard positions will shake themsekves out. I am thinking Raymer and Dockery, but Friedman could push Raymer for the nod.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

swine

Postby doctordrew » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:38 am

Hi Boss,
I was wondering if you could take a look at the battle for third string runningback. I am a big fan of Rock Cartwright, and I was glad to hear he shedded 10 pounds to compete for tailback this year. Portis, Betts, and Chad Morton are pretty much guaranteed a spot, but any info on Cartwright would be greatly appreciated.
The battle for slot receiver looks tough, any info on that would be great too. Thanks a lot, your living my dream. TRAINING CAMP, that's awesome.
My blood runs burgandy and gold
Drew

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:46 am

Being an old TE I'm excited about the battle at TE and glad to see the position will be a important part of the O again!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby floridaskinsfan » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:18 pm

I am really intereseted in the d-line. It seems to be our weakest point according to the media. Let us know if you really think they are that bad.

A little off topic but I was also wondering if anyone here remembers Spurrier using the play-action. I don't recall him using it, but that could have been because Ramsey was sacked before it had time to develop. :lol: I can't wait to see Gibbs run, then run again, then call the play-action to Coles deep.

scooter

Postby Scooter » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:21 pm

You've gottem covered there Boss. I too am seeing the biggest battle in the WR area. I think Gardner will blossom under Gibbs. Coles is #1 - clearly. But there will be a fight for the other spots and ranking.

I'd love to hear about Patrick's extras - is he listening, in the coaches ear, talking with Brunell... you know, all the stuff a young player looking to get better should do. Or, is he Jeff Georging it ... :0).

Have a Great Time Boss!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:06 pm

Wrote it all down guys... I'll be sure to try and cover all of it for you... well, within reason anyway.

I said it on the last PFC show I was on... it's just good to have battles. They're always good for the team, and it's generally a good indication that barring injuries, you'll have depth at those positions.

I think the Raymer / Friedman battle is the one I'm most interested in. And I'll be watching to see how Ben Nowland looks too, who we also brought in as a center prospect.

I don't care what the 'experts' say, I think that Samuels, Jansen, Thomas, Dockery and either Friedman or Raymer will make a heckuva starting o-line...

... especially with Buge's at the helm and running that ball control offense. These guys are just going to love going forwards in run blocking as opposed to going backwards in pass protection... most linemen do. You get to smash more heads. :shock:

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:09 pm

BossHog wrote:Wrote it all down guys... I'll be sure to try and cover all of it for you... well, within reason anyway.

I said it on the last PFC show I was on... it's just good to have battles. They're always good for the team, and it's generally a good indication that barring injuries, you'll have depth at those positions.

I think the Raymer / Friedman battle is the one I'm most interested in. And I'll be watching to see how Ben Nowland looks too, who we also brought in as a center prospect.

I don't care what the 'experts' say, I think that Samuels, Jansen, Thomas, Dockery and either Friedman or Raymer will make a heckuva starting o-line...

... especially with Buge's at the helm and running that ball control offense. These guys are just going to love going forwards in run blocking as opposed to going backwards in pass protection... most linemen do. You get to smash more heads. :shock:

Spoken like a true HOG! :wink:
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:13 pm

NC43Hog wrote: Spoken like a true HOG! :wink:

I think that might be the nicest compliment anyone's ever given me on this board, thanks.

:D

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007