Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:58 pm

Quote Sheets from Joe Gibbs Press Conference

Compiled by Gene Wang
washingtonpost.com Correspondent
Web Posted: Friday, July 30, 2004; 5:13 p.m. EDT

Coach Joe Gibbs
Opening remarks
We’re going to start with two-a-days [Saturday]. I think it’s going to be kind of fun. The fans are going to get a chance to be a part of it. They get a chance to see their team up close. So it will be a couple of weeks with our fans here, which is great. We owe them a lot. We know that part of our season is covered. Our fan support, nobody’s got what we have, so that’s going to be neat.

I don’t know that anyone could have done more preparing for the season than Dan [Snyder] has. Starting with our coaching staff, that was an arduous deal. It went for a long time, and it demanded a lot from him. Turn around in free agency, his support and everything there, I couldn’t have asked for anything more. None of us could.

We turn around then, and our draft picks are all signed and in camp. Two practice fields we were concerned about, tore up the sod and redid it. We had a situation this week where practiced on the turf, and we talked it over, he said, “Just tear out the whole side and redo it.” So, I can honestly say Dan has done his part. So from here on in, it’s going to be players playing, and I got to see if I can do my job.

I think the Super Bowl trophies are great. But that’s in the past. It’s been a long time ago. I think it’s great, it's neat to be part of franchise that has a history like this. When I think of these, I think of all the great players that were here before that gave us these trophies.

I think what all of us here now are focused on is not those Super Bowls; it’s the future. And so, I believe our players want to achieve and build something that’s great in modern times, and that’s what we want to do as a coaching staff.

I’ve been embarrassed a little bit by the attention and everything, but that’s the good thing about sports. It quickly goes away if you don’t do well. I’m going to get mine pretty quick, I imagine, so I’m ready for that. Now it’s good to get out there and start matching up. We’ve got see if we can match up. We’re coming to camp late. It’s going to require a lot of hard work.

Q: Do you feel like you’re still a first-year staff even though you and many of your assistants have coached together?
A: I think our team has changed quite a bit. I think we are a first-year staff. It’s a long enough away that there is no player here I coached before and any of our players have coached with the exception of Kirk [Olivadotti]. And the problem that normally comes along with that . . . it’s going to be interesting to see how quickly you get a good feeling for each other.

One of the hardest things in coaching to get a real perception right away of the talents of your players so that you can start putting them in roles where you feel like they really excel. That’s extremely hard when you’re trying to get accustomed to the whole team.

We also have a situation where a lot of our guys have missed practices up to this point with injuries and stuff, so we’re just getting them back. I consider us definitely a first-year situation. I remember back in my first year; hopefully we’re not going to go through that again. It was painful.

Q: What is the status of Sean Taylor and Walt Harris?
A: I think Sean is day to day. I don’t know, it’s probably close whether he goes or not. Walt Harris will not [practice tomorrow]. We’ll give him a chance to work and rehab. I think he’s coming along. We’re really encouraged there by everything we’ve seen. So I think Walt will continue to work with the trainers. With any player like that, we want to be cautious a bit. We want him to be completely healthy.

Q: Do you feel the team was too young last year?
A: I can tell you it was the youngest team in the league last year. But to me, that was a plus when I came obviously. We got a bunch of good young football players. And really, I guess every time you look at a guy in free agency, you do evaluate how old is he, how long do you think he’s going to play.

We didn’t make a conscious effort to go and get older guys, but we did wind up getting some that I do think are going to be real leaders and understand what goes on in this league, guys that we kind of lean on. We didn’t purposely try to go and do that. We were trying to get the absolute best player to fit holes.

Q: How much time do you plan on putting in daily at Redskins Park this season?
A: I’d say that you have best intentions when you start out, and I said the first time we lose a game it’d probably go out the window, and everything would be the same as before. I’d say in general, what we do on offense, it seems everybody has something that works for them or a different way of doing it.

I always admired some of the people I’ve watched in the past. I’ve never understood how some of those guys could do it. Tom Landry, it’s still a mystery to me. The man went home, they told me, at 8 o’clock. He looked refreshed and could have coached for 50 years. I look like a blocked punt. I was totally shocked. And he controlled the defense, offense and special teams. Or at least he had a hand in it, which I’m not smart enough to do.

Q: Is there a big difference for you when you’re actually planning and meeting with the coaches than your first time?
A: That’s kind of a hard one to answer. I’d say that football has changed a lot. For me, it’s like being in my first year. It’s a learning experience for me. As I talked about, defenses have totally changed, which has caused the offenses to change. I think the way you acquire talent has totally changed.

It’s like a first-year learning experience than certainly what I remember back to when I was here before. We were an established team. We would just think about preseason. In those days, I had one approach. This year it’s going to be totally different. We’re kind of like a first-year team. You’re trying to establish yourself. When I answer that, it’s kind of new deal for me.

I don’t relate much to the past, except when we get behind close doors, then we start talking schemes and pass protection, what you believe in in football, I think the overall premise stays the same. Human nature doesn’t change. People are motivated by mostly the same things. I haven’t seen that changed over 30, 40 years I’ve been involved with teams. You’re looking for the same qualities in a person.

Q: Can you talk about your emotions, whether this is an exciting time or nervous time for you?
A: I think anyone who has tried a new venture or has gone back to a place where you’ve got a lot of pride at stake could probably imagine the emotions I have. You’re nervous about it.

I thought when I got the job the first time as a head coach, my life is going to be fulfilled. If I get fired, at least I got it. I got my opportunity. That wasn’t it at all. When I got that job, it’s just like the last time. You have Dan picking you. You have Vinny [Cerrato] and all the front office people counting on you. All the fans are counting on you. Certainly all the coaches, their careers are at stake on making the Redskins go.

What happens is, it’s not yourself, so I worry about letting everybody down. That’s what I’m concerned about. I want to do well, but I know all the coaches here feel the same way about it. The whole town here is counting on something happening. Such high expectations, and you realize those high expectations are good. It gets everybody excited. But it’s pretty hard to live up to.

Q: How long do you expect the quarterback battle to go?
A: I’m fully expecting it to go to the last week. We got a plan. We know what we’re going to do. It’s not something I’m going to say right now, but we know how we’re going to handle everything. And we hopefully know how we’re going to play the games. And we’ll make an evaluation. We all know it can come down to a toss-up. I don’t know.

Q: Do you think coaches are more important now than ever with all the player turnover?
A: I think coaches probably get too much credit for it, head coaches, definitely I would say that. I think as far as turnover, I question that. I think a lot of the turnover, yes, maybe there is a little more with the cap and stuff, but you got choices to make there, and I think you can project.

We’re looking for real Redskins. If someone is real Redskin for us, we’re going to go down swinging before we let him out of here. But we’re looking for a core group of guys to build over a long period of time.

If I didn’t think we could do that, and all of our layout and cash flow based on the salary cap tells us we can do that, then that’s what I’m fighting for. I’m not looking for a revolving door. I don’t believe in that. So we’re looking for players we can build with and keep here for a long time.

© 2004 The Washington Post Company

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sp ... jul31.html
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:06 pm

Bestarticle I've read this entire off-season! Im so exicted to have this guy as our head coach.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:20 pm

Q: Do you feel the team was too young last year?
A: I can tell you it was the youngest team in the league last year. But to me, that was a plus when I came obviously. We got a bunch of good young football players. And really, I guess every time you look at a guy in free agency, you do evaluate how old is he, how long do you think he’s going to play.

I think we're pretty balanced now and have Leadership on the sidelines this years
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:36 pm

I hadn't heard about this
Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs, who is returning to the team following a 12-year absence from the NFL, on the rules he will lay down for training camp: "We’re a curfew team. I learned after the second Super Bowl. We’re not doing the no-curfew deal because I can’t trust them. You probably only need rules for 10 percent of the guys. The rest of the 90 percent are paying attention to business and everything. But I think it does help to set parameters and say, ‘This is what we’re going to do and what we are.’ ... This is a team sport. You can’t do your own thing."

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Fe ... 073004.htm

..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:31 am

1niksder wrote:I hadn't heard about this
Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs, who is returning to the team following a 12-year absence from the NFL, on the rules he will lay down for training camp: "We’re a curfew team. I learned after the second Super Bowl. We’re not doing the no-curfew deal because I can’t trust them. You probably only need rules for 10 percent of the guys. The rest of the 90 percent are paying attention to business and everything. But I think it does help to set parameters and say, ‘This is what we’re going to do and what we are.’ ... This is a team sport. You can’t do your own thing."

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Fe ... 073004.htm

Neither had I. I wonder if we'll hear complaints (down the stretch) or not from the players.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007