Training Camp Report

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
Hog

Training Camp Report

Postby SkinFan 0-16 or 16-0 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:12 pm

Camp Begins With Excitement, Energy
By Gary Fitzgerald
Redskins.com
July 31, 2004

Joe Gibbs walked out the back door of Redskins Park by himself and started to lightly jog past a group of photographers and to the practice fields. In the distance, fans started to applaud. Others shouted out, "Welcome back, Joe!"
That's how training camp started for the Redskins and their legions of fans, some of whom arrived at Redskins Park as early as 5:45 a.m. Gates opened at 8 a.m. About 5,000 fans were in attendance.

Clinton Portis waits for a pass during running back drills. (Photo by Gary Fitzgerald)
As much as fans were anticipating the first practice, coaches and players were also looking forward to the start of training camp even more. The coaching staff was at Redskins Park late last night fine-tuning the details of training camp. The practice was the first time coaches had worked with their players in full pads.

"I think everybody was anticipating the first day," said Joe Bugel, assistant head coach-offense. "We wanted it to be perfect and the team responded so well. The attitude out here is magnificent."

The first training camp practice was full of spirited play and plenty of instruction. Players wore full pads. Following a special teams session led by coach Danny Smith, the players broke up with their position coaches for drills. After a series of 7-on-7 drills, the team concluded the two-hour practice with a brief scrimmage.

Gibbs praised the players' work ethic and attitude, but added that the overall play was somewhat "rough."

"It's the first time we've gone one-on-one, center trying to move and make a block-it's totally different from what we've done before [at mini-camps]," Gibbs said. "That's why I say you don't know a football team until you put on the pads and start hitting somebody."

Here's a look at more of the highlights from Saturday morning's practice:

Player:: Clinton Portis showed all the flash and dash that many expect from him as the Redskins' new tailback. He started the practice catching passes from position coach Earnest Byner. During the scrimmage, he took a handoff and burst into open field before getting pushed out of bounds by LaVar Arrington and Andre Lott.

Play: Matt Bowen stepped in front of a Patrick Ramsey pass for an interception. Untouched, he quickly got up and spun around to avoid a tackle. Bowen flipped the ball to Ifeanyi Ohalete, who sped by and raced down the sideline. Ramsey recovered on the next play, connecting with Scott Cloman on a pass play.

Quote: "We have to let 'The Hogs' go. I love them&they're my brothers. Now it's the 'Dirtbags.' You have to give the line a little bit of a nickname. We're like mushrooms because we're down in the dark corner of the field practicing by ourselves and nobody loves us. So we gave them a name."

Atmosphere: The morning was full of excitement and energy--and it showed among the fans, many of whom were shouting words of encouragement. Fans who arrived the earliest were able to position themselves along the front of the roped-off section. They were among the lucky ones who, after practice, were able to get autographs from head coach Joe Gibbs. Some of the players who autographed after practice: Patrick Ramsey, Mark Brunell, Chris Cooley and Jon Jansen.

Notes: Safety Sean Taylor attended practice wearing his new jersey number--No. 37--and a helmet with a dark visor. He warmed up with the team, but did not participate in practice, instead watching from the sidelines. Taylor sprained his knee during a practice earlier this week and is day-to-day, according to Gibbs&The offensive and defensive lines worked against each other for a large portion of the practice. Said Gibbs: "We have to open with our first preseason game in a little over a week and we won't have much time. That's why it's important to get here in shape and ready."

With almost everyone out at redskins park today, somebody had to stay to post some news.
"Tough times don't last Tough people do."- Marcus Washington, Redskins Linebacker

"Big time Players make Big Time Plays in Big Games !!!"- Santana Moss Redskins WR during an upset by The U over Florida Sate

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:44 pm

Thanks for the post. I'm on duty and won't get to see any of the clips from today's practice on Comcast Sports. In the Va Bch area that is about the only TV coverage of the Skins. If anyone else lives in the Hampton Roads area and knows a good Skins' sports bars please let me know. :D
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby SkinFan 0-16 or 16-0 » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:00 pm

I use to live in the Hampton Roads area. I lived in Newport News.

Sorry though, Im not old enough to know about any of the sport's bars.
"Tough times don't last Tough people do."- Marcus Washington, Redskins Linebacker

"Big time Players make Big Time Plays in Big Games !!!"- Santana Moss Redskins WR during an upset by The U over Florida Sate

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007