First Day

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
Diesel

First Day

Postby DEHog » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:48 pm

Just in from training camp... a few observations.

Gibbs runs a tighter ship than SS :shock: guys were out 30 to 45 min. before practice started, getting work in!

Portis just might make me forget about Champ (yea right!) we have never had a back like this before!

Coleman is going to push Jacobs for the 5th WR spot!

CSam is on a mission, stayed 30 min. after practice running sprints with QB's!

Brunell will start!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby GibbSkins » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:46 pm

hey thanks for the breakdown...ive been dieing to get home and log on to find out how the first day went..and its nicer to hear it from u guys than some reporter....thanks
"These are the times that try men's souls......Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph." --Thomas Paine

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:23 pm

See you tomorrow DE.

:lol:
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

swine

Postby johnjack » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:47 pm

Just wanted to put in my two cents about the two practices that I observed today. I will echo the sentiments of DEHog, Gibbs runs an extremely organized and tight ship. I am going to try to make this post as succinct, and informative as I can. First off, I COMPLETELY understand why Gibbs doesn’t want fans at training camp. Some of the fans around me were yelling at the top of their lungs attempting to gain the attention of various players in the middle of practice. It takes an extremely disciplined player not to be distracted by all of the commotion. Along the same ends, the welcome that Gibbs and his staff received (specifically Gibbs and Bugel) was extremely awesome. Gibbs reception gave you goose bumps. Two thoughts came to mind, the first, that I was in the presence of greatness. The second thought was that there is a tremendous weight upon the shoulders of this man (Gibbs). I hope it is not too much for his broad (figurative) shoulders to bear.

Along health lines, Gibbs and Bugel appear to be fit and trim. For those who remember their first stint here, both of these coaches had bellies, now, neither does. This is an extremely good sign for those of us worried about their health. If any of the coaches who have been in the game for quite a while are missing anything physically, they make up for it intellectually. The practices were extremely crisp and efficient. No wasted time or ineffective use of the playing field. During the second practice, I jotted down notes on how the sequence of events transpired. I will post the details of this in a separate topic.

Positional battles: In the early morning practice, I thought that Brunell looked sharper than Ramsey. In the afternoon, Patrick looked extremely sharp, while Brunell faltered somewhat. As I am sure many of you are already aware, Sean Taylor did not participate in the practices, so Iffy and Bowen took the bulk of the snaps on defense at the safety positions. The battle for the third wide receiver position is going to be a good one. Thrash looked good, as usual, and in the late practice, Darnerien McCants made an excellent catch that garnered oohs and aaahs from the crowd. I didn’t see anything in particular from Taylor Jacobs, but it was difficult to focus on all of the battles. My early perception of the running back position is, I HOPE NOTHING HAPPENS TO CLINTON PORTIS! Ladell Betts, Sultan McCullough and Co may be adequate fill ins, but I don’t think I saw anything yet that suggests that any of them are on the same level as is CP. Pray for a healthy CP. The defense overall looks like they are trying to get their legs under them. A little surprising since defense normally is ahead of offense early in the season. Barrow and Washington looked good. Smoot in the secondary looked sharp and alert. It’s still early for the rest of the secondary. Tom Tupa may have some competition in the punting department from I believe Kevin Stemke (#5 today).

I thought that I was in a time warp while watching and seeing that trademark Gibbs motion on offense. The all too familiar sight of tight ends, wide receivers, H-Backs all moving in an attempt to gain insight on what coverage the defense was running filled the practices. Bugel barked at the O-line critiquing the technique of rookies and veterans alike.

Finally (since it has been a long day), Gibbs has the presence about him. He went around thanking the fans for coming out today. How many head coaches would you expect to do that? I have a personal anecdote to add. Today was my mother’s birthday, and I took her to camp. After the afternoon practice, Gibbs signed autographs and shook hands. My mother had coach sign her sheet, and she told him that she chose to spend her birthday with him. He asked her for her name, and proceeded to sing Happy Birthday to her. The guy is nothing but genuine. If you get a chance to go to camp, I would highly recommend it. We may never see the likes of a guy like this again in our lives.

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:12 pm

Great post johnjack and thanks.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:53 pm

Today's camp summary posted on the main site... or in the camp section.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

+++

Postby NikiH » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:01 am

Just adding my two cents here.

My first shock of the day was that they had Smoot doing drills with special teams. He was trying out his hand at punt returning. He doesn't have Morton's speed but you know what, it never hurts to have a good practiced back up for our backup! ;-)
One other thing that Scott and I noticed in the afternoon practice was that there was this one Defensive Tackle that got knocked on his butt on one play, I think it was, Joseph Salave'a. Anyhow after he got knocked down, he got up and was very aggressive. He was punching his way through the o-line. I'm gonna watch him a little more just to see if he sticks with this intesitiy or backs if off. Seems he has tried but has not seen action outside of training camp with a couple of teams in the last few years.
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007